Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    11-04-2013 06:34 AM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Default Re: What are your regrets about getting the sleeve or lap band

Four years ago, I was coaxed into getting a Roux-en-y by a boyfriend. I did everything I was supposed to do and on my last visit before meeting the surgeon and setting a date, I took my mom with me and she walked out and told me that she did not think this was a good idea and would not support me. I'm glad she was so brutally honest with me. When I made the decision a few months ago that I was going to do something, I was looking at a lap band and that is what I told the doctor for my consult and he told me immediately to reconsider the lap and choose the sleeve because of all the reasons people here have said and he told me that in particular when someone needs to lose more than 100 lbs and has a high BMI, the statistics are not good. The weight loss is not great and the longterm outcomes are not good and then he said plainly, "And I think you will regret it and wind up having a sleeve or a roux in the end." So, I started reading and researching and watching videos and found this forum. I am confident that this is a good choice and one I will not regret. Better yet, I am ready to do this. I am making changes now. I have told my whole family and I have their complete support. I asked my mom what the difference is between now and 4 years ago...She said, "You know what you want and you are ready to do what it takes."

So if you have serious doubts, it's ok to take more time to think. This is a life-changing and permanent change.Being scared and nervous is one thing but flip flopping back and forth and feeling like you are being persuaded on either side could be a clue that you need more time to decide. You have to decide that this is what YOU want, not what someone else wants for you.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Rothchild
    Said "Thanks" 181 Times
    Was Thanked 530 Times in 430 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12,041 Times
    Blog Entries

I am almost 2 years out from my sleeve and at times it got a bit rough but that was my emotional issues surrounding the weight so as does everyone I vented on this site when needed but all in all i have NO REGRETS!I still have good restriction even though there have been times when I thought for sure I had stretched my stomach. Life isnt perfect on this side of the fence but its so much better for me than it used to be lumbering through my day always afraid I would have to sit in a small chair that would either get stuck to my butt or afraid the chair would collapse. Now I still have a lot of my old pain but without the extra weight its so much easier to deal with. I know there are those who have regrets immediately after surgery and some continue to have them longer but from what I have read from everyone here the likely hood of really regretting sleeve has been very low. We are all different I dont know your reasons for the sleeve but if you are on the fence I always tell people you know what is right for you and ONLY YOU know so dont listen to those who are afraid for you they are only afraid because they know you will change.
    "Its Not Hard Its Just New!"
    Transforming from caterpillar to butterfly to phoenix!

Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    08/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Hawasali
    Last Activity
    10-13-2014 07:31 AM
    Michigan by way of England, Mumbai, Cairo and Boston
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 440 Times in 415 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 829 Times

Welcome! For what it's worth my surgeon doesn't do many bands any more, and he's one of the pioneers in the area. I did my research because I was originally thinking about the RNY but he talked me into the sleeve. Much less problems overall.

Gastric Sleeve Member Aspinetti's Avatar
    Name
    Annette
    Surgery date
    09/23/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Atkinson
    Last Activity
    12-27-2014 10:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

thank you

Gastric Sleeve Member Aspinetti's Avatar
    Name
    Annette
    Surgery date
    09/23/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Atkinson
    Last Activity
    12-27-2014 10:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

thank you so much for your comment!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member ecarasick83's Avatar
    Name
    Liz
    Surgery date
    03/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Patel
    Last Activity
    11-26-2013 02:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

I was on the fence too about getting the sleeve. In fact, I never heard of the sleeve. I told my surgeon I was interested in Lapband and then he spoke of the sleeve. He told me everything I wanted to hear about the sleeve. The good thing with the sleeve is there's no maintainence whereas with the band you have to keep getting it filled and unfilled and if it slides you have to get it fixed yadda yadda. So my suggestion to you is read up on the lapband. The lapband may be reversible but that is about it. Good luck to you!

Liz

Surgery date
    08/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos kelly
    Last Activity
    11-06-2013 01:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 189 Times
    Was Thanked 169 Times in 154 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 93 Times
    Blog Entries

ACE you look fantastic! and wow what a wonderful success. i had my surgery around the same time as you did. I had health issues and that was why i chose the sleeve. I am doing better, feel better, but still lack the emotional part of it also. I am trying to deal with my life changes.

Surgery date
    08/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos kelly
    Last Activity
    11-06-2013 01:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 189 Times
    Was Thanked 169 Times in 154 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 93 Times
    Blog Entries

Congrats to you and your decision, I had waited myself to decide what I wanted. My insurance would only cover the band, and I was told by the dr that there are a lot of problems associated with them, so I decided not to do it, waited 2 yrs and started all over again. then the ins. said they would cover the gastric bypass, but I have a close friend who had it and I see what she deals with everyday. and said no! so they wouldn't help me out, so then I waited and tried to have ins cover the sleeve and fought them 3 times. but in the end I went to Mexico and paid for it myself, but I am glad that I waited and did what i did, it was in my choice the best decision that I could make for me. I have no regrets, my health issues have gotten much better, and I do things I never did before, you have to remember this is a tool, not a cure or fast fix. But if you follow your drs. orders, and nutritionist, you will do just fine. I feel it is better to take your time, and weigh all the decisions and choices. AND do it for you! not someone else. Good luck to you!

Surgery date
    06/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christopher Cole
    Last Activity
    03-29-2014 05:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome! I got the sleeve done in June and have nothing but good things to say about it. I had the option of the sleeve, lapband, or bypass and I looked at it this way: Bypass means they are going to leave my stomach in and it really won't be used anymore, lapband means I will have some foreign equipment in my body, and the sleeve means that I will have a good chunk of my stomach gone.
    Good luck with your surgery and only you can decide which one is right for you!