Dr. Duffy
    Last Activity
    11-08-2013 06:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What are your regrets about getting the sleeve or lap band

My doctor is not a fan of lapband either. He clearly feels that the bypass is the number 1 choice, but for certain various reasons, counts the sleeve as the #2 choice. When I went for an informational meeting, I got the impression that the lapband procedure is becoming a "thing of the past".

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Peggy
    Surgery date
    07/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lalor
    Last Activity
    04-22-2015 04:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 197 Times
    Was Thanked 346 Times in 318 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 107 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by niamh View Post
    Reading your post it sounds like you're not really ready for surgery, and you're considering the band rather than the sleeve because you want to keep yourself a way out of it. My feeling is that if someone was really ready for a life-changing procedure to tackle their weight problems, they would know from all the band failure stories that the sleeve is definitely a superior way to go. I booked myself for consultations about the band about 18 months before I had the sleeve, and then read all about it on the web and how many people had problems and revisions, and it became clear to me that it was hit and miss on it's success rate, and had lots of complications for lots of people down the road requiring removal. I didn't know about the sleeve at that point, so I just cancelled my consults and struggled on for another year until I heard about this procedure. When I saw my surgeon for a consult he said something like "to be honest, the band is not the way to go, some people still want it and I do it if they really want it and understand the risks, but it's more hassle than it's worth. I recommend the sleeve or the bypass."

Also - it worries me a little that you say "I keep getting persuaded ..... talked out of .......talked into", as though your decision is determined by other people. This is a big deal and nobody is going to live with the consequences but you, so make sure it's your choice.

No judgement of you for this - it's ok not to be ready, and it would be ok never to be ready. This isn't a moral issue, just a health one. People find it hard to commit to the idea of significant and permanent change for their health.

So what I would say to you is consider hard whether you want gastric surgery in general - including all that it requires from you. Can you be ok with never eating a big meal again (recognising that your body will feel differently, so it won't be like starving yourself on a 'diet'). Are you ok with committing to changing your eating style to be healthier in general, and pick up some exercise (doesn't have to be huge amounts - but people who exercise on the whole tend to do better long term with the sleeve). If you're not ready for your side of the bargain, then don't do the band as some in-between version. Again - no criticism of you if the answer is no.

I have not regretted my surgery decision for one nanosecond. I feel relieved that I don't fight with the constant urge to eat, and to keep eating once I've started. I'm glad that the sleeve is permament because I want a permanent change to my eating and weight. I'm glad that once it's done, your body gets to function just as it always has done with reduced stomach capacity and less hunger hormone. Same valves in and out of your stomach - whereas the band is a foreign body which frequently damages stomach tissue doing a very poor imitation of managing food out of your stomach.

I am living my life completely differently and very happily almost a year out. If I hadn't had the surgery, I would still be overweight and feeling bad about my inability to overcome it.

Think about yourself in 1 year, then 5 years, then 10 years, then 20 years, then 40 years down the line with having surgery, and then without having surgery. Then, if you really want surgery because you want the rest of your life to be completely different, I think the sleeve obviously wins hand down.
    Absolutely what Niamh said. No surgery will work if you're not mentally prepared for it. I originally was set on the band, but after about 6 months of reading and researching, I knew it was NOT the way to go. Even if it works as it should, people still were fighting vomiting or just not being able to eat, then there's the fills/un-fills trying to get to the sweet spot, not to mention a foreign object in your body. Then I started reading about so many problems and people needing to have it removed only to gain back all of their weight. NO THANKS!! I wanted to lose my weight-PERMANENTLY! I don't ever want to find it again!! For me, the sleeve was the perfect answer. You can eat, just very small quantities, like were are supposed to. We eat what a "serving size" should be, not a super mega meal. Yes, you still have to chose your foods wisely, but not much is off limits. If I want a tiny sliver of birthday cake, I can eat it without stomach distress, with some of the by-pass options, you can't.

I had my 1yr surgiversary 6 days ago and the only regret I have is that this surgery wasn't available to me 10-15 years ago!! I started my journey at 249# and today I am about 140#, give or take a pound. It's not all about the numbers either!! I just feel so much better, my blood work is awesome, and my confidence is back! At my 1 yr check up the dr asked if I would do it all again. My answer...IN A HEART BEAT!!
    ~~Peggy~~
    Highest weight: 249
    Weight at pre-op: 224
    Weight at surgery: 216

Gastric Sleeve Member Harley Granny's Avatar
    Name
    Sue
    Surgery date
    05/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Jawad
    Last Activity
    01-13-2014 09:05 AM
    Said "Thanks" 97 Times
    Was Thanked 324 Times in 312 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 607 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm with everyone else. I played with the idea of the band a few years ago...could never come up with the $$ so I dropped the idea.
    I also hated the idea of a foreign object in my body.

When I heard about the sleeve I just knew this was my answer. I'm two months out and have not regretted my decision even one minute of one day.

Name
    Dennis
    Surgery date
    11/21/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    09-03-2014 12:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 84 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 214 Times
    Blog Entries

I did a lot of research on band vs sleeve before I decided on the sleeve. My sister and niece both had the band 2 years ago and both have lost over 100 pounds and are still happy with it. When they go on vacation or something where they want to eat more, they go in and have the band loosened, then afterwards they go in and have it tightened. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but to each his own.
    Anyway, after doing several months of research on both of them I decided on the sleeve. Then I fought for 2 years with my insurance company, jumping through their hoops only to be denied because I was not heavy enough by 15 pounds. I was 315 and they said that I had to weigh 330.
    But to shorten my long story, I finally decided to go to mexico and get the sleeve by Dr Ariel Ortiz at the Obesity Control Center.
    Its been 8 months and I'm down 65 pounds. I'm not as far along as most people because I am basically lazy. I dont do any exercise, I still eat whatever I want, just much smaller portions. But even being as bad as I am, I still loose weight. So the sleeve does work. Like many others, my only regret is that I didnt do it years ago.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/25/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Hamilton
    Last Activity
    10-27-2013 08:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Here is my story...I had lap band in March of 2012. (I've lost 60 lbs) Had to have my gallbladder removed April 2012. After 4 months of not losing any weight, I knew there was something wrong with my band and/or my port. I couldn't convince my doctor so I to get a second opinion (after being miserable for almost 4 months). The new doctor couldn't access my port to give me some relief so he ordered and EGD. Before we could get the results from the EGD I was admitted to the hospital through the emergency room and had an emergency lap band removal the next day. My new doctor and I have discussed my next options. They are gastric bypass (not even considering) or gastric sleeve. (Side note...my Mom just had the sleeve 3 months ago and my husband almost 2 years ago and they both have done very well.) I didn't go with the sleeve the first time because it is a permanent option.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    08/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos kelly
    Last Activity
    11-06-2013 01:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 189 Times
    Was Thanked 169 Times in 154 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 93 Times
    Blog Entries

Regrets? NONE Just wish that I would have done if like 5 yrs ago! I would have been in better health from then on, now I am healthier but old! lol

Surgery date
    08/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jeffery Allen
    Last Activity
    04-08-2015 10:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 122 Times in 115 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 370 Times
    Blog Entries

When I first went to a weight loss seminar I was going for info on both surgeries. I have 2 friends that have done wonderful experiences with the lap band. both have lost a lot of weight and had not problems...yet. I say that because both of these have had the surgery within the last year. I did not like the way you could see and feel the port or the lap band. After listening to the surgeon and seeing how both surgeries are done I decided on the sleeve. It seemed like a better fit for my life. When I went to my own Dr. for a physical to clear me for surgery she told me she was glad I had decided against the lap band because she has seen a lot of problems with it. I have not had my sleeve surgery yet but feel very secure with my decision. Only you can make this decision. Your life will be changed no matter which you choose. Go to a seminar about all of your options for weight loss. The one I went to even had non surgical methods. Good luck on your decision.

Surgery date
    06/11/2010
    Surgeon
    Dr. James Davidson
    Last Activity
    09-09-2014 08:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Aspin - we all have to make our own decisions, but let me tell you that I started out thinking 'band' - a friend of mine had it, she didn't die on us....and she lost 60 lbs. After much reading, I decided sleeve surgery - AKA forced portion control - was a better choice for me. Well, that friend has since regained half of her weight. It was a lot of up keep. I have three other friends, close friends, who've gotten a lap band. One has gained ALL of his weight back, a second has gained ALL of her weight back and had some serious problems, after three years, she had it removed two weeks ago. My third friend had very serious problems and had her band removed six weeks after having it done. I don't want to scare anyone, and it is still your decision, but read ever single thing you can find on both surgeries. I have had an easy time. My head was in the right place, I knew the doctor would do "his job" and then the rest was up to me. I've been on board and excited since from day one. I was groggy but wanted to jump for joy when I woke up in recovery!!! It's been a wild ride, and I've loved every single minute. My life, at age 53, has never been better. I had NO health issues, and some thought I was crazy. I consider this surgery 'preventive maintenance', it wasn't ALL about vanity! Good luck to you.....and ask all of us questions! I'm three years out, reached goal in six months. I've been maintaining for 2.7 years. Life IS good.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspinetti View Post
    I'm really on the fence with getting the sleeve surgery, I keep getting persuaded into the sleeve and then talked out of and into the lapband. Ive read so many posts from people that seem to happy with their prodecure, but the few I've talked to in person have regretted it. Please help I'm so confused !!!!!

Surgery date
    08/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos kelly
    Last Activity
    11-06-2013 01:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 189 Times
    Was Thanked 169 Times in 154 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 93 Times
    Blog Entries

I would suggest talking with your dr about your concerns, and go to a few support groups that have people that have had all the different surgeries. I can tell you that after talking and going to many myself, I was going to have the lapband but decided with the sleeve, my dr also said that he felt it would be a better surgery for me, with the lap band you have to have fills, and ins. will not cover this all the time, its a one time deal with my ins. so make sure you check this out also. I have a dear friend that had the gastric bypass, and she has dumping syndrome ALL the time!!! we could be out and she can't make it to the bathroom and trust me its not pleasant! that was the main reason I said no to gastric bypass. the sleeve has been great! I have had no problems at all! I was scared and almost chickened out, but after talking with my dr I said if I don't do something I won't be here in two years anyway so I did it!!! Aug 8th will be 2 years!!!! woot woot! and this old chick can dance!!! love how I feel and the energy is amazing!!! I haven't gained any weight back and I love how I feel and look. But you have to decide for you, so honey do your research and then decide. go with your heart. but please make sure that whatever you decide it is for you!!! don't just take opinions of a few that you have spoken to. It is a tool, some people regret it because they miss the food. i don't, I eat whatever I want to. but in limited amounts. good luck

Name
    Paula
    Surgery date
    08/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ferrari
    Last Activity
    05-05-2015 05:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm 54 as well. My concern is the sagging skin too. Is it really awful and is there anything that can be done for it short of surgery?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Ramesh Ramanathan
    Last Activity
    10-14-2014 08:34 AM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 62 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 117 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Aspinetti View Post
    I'm really on the fence with getting the sleeve surgery, I keep getting persuaded into the sleeve and then talked out of and into the lapband. Ive read so many posts from people that seem to happy with their prodecure, but the few I've talked to in person have regretted it. Please help I'm so confused !!!!!
    Hi Aspinetti, I for one was initially interested in the band until I did my own research and speaking to physicians I work with who persuaded me out of the band related to many issues, i.e., slippage, erosion, minimal weight loss as compared to the RNY or sleeve. I am beyond thrilled with my decision to have the sleeve. If I may ask, what have you been told as to why ppl have regretted having the sleeve? From my personal observations (treating ppl who encounter problems with the sleeve or RNY, it's usually at their own hands, not following the rules, i.e., drinking carbonated beverages, over eating, purging, not taking their required vitamins, not getting in their required protein and fluids). Here was my conversation with my surgeon as to why I decided on the sleeve.....I said to my surgeon....I take full responsibility for stretching my stomach out beyond God's intentions. Please give me back what God had intended in the first place and I promise I will never abuse it again! Best decision I ever made!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. S. carrly
    Last Activity
    11-13-2018 07:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 28 Times
    Blog Entries

what did they regret?? I have the band and totally regret it, I will get the sleeve this Monday.

Gastric Sleeve Member AmyInOrlando's Avatar
    Name
    Amy Brock
    Surgery date
    08/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    08-14-2014 04:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times

I am 5 feet tall. When I weighed 272 the insurance company denied the RNY. After losing 150 pounds with diet and exercise I thought I'd won the battle. Well, I might have won the battle, but I lost the war. Several years later when I weighed 170, I was told I'd have to gain 30 pounds to qualify for the gastric band. Now 4 years later and 200 pounds I decided on the gastric sleeve. Again... denied by insurance company. But I'm having the sleeve on Thursday in Mexico. Finally.... after fighting this battle for 55 years (since I had my tonsils out at age 5), I think the sleeve will be the ammunition to finally win this war. My only regret is that it's taken so long.... and I've spent most of my life miserable because of my weight.

Started this journey on 7/18/2013 @ 204.8 with 14 day pre-op liquid diet
    Day of surgery 8/1/2013, fully clothed on Dr. Alvarez's scale @ 195

Surgery date
    07/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hodges
    Last Activity
    03-13-2014 08:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

My wife had lapband surgery a little over a year ago. She has lost 140 pounds, but has been miserable almost constantly. More than half the time she can't eat anything. She finally got so tired of it that she had all the fluid removed from the band a couple of months ago so she could eat something. The weight has slowly started to come back, so she just had fluid added, but the problems with food sticking immediately came back. I chose the sleeve because I knew I couldn't put up with the constant vomiting and stomach pain. She wants to have the band removed and converted to a sleeve, and is about to have tests done to see if the band has slipped.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Mae
    Surgery date
    04/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.S. Hughes
    Last Activity
    10-10-2018 01:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 88 Times
    Was Thanked 94 Times in 94 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,573 Times
    Blog Entries

You are right I did have a regret. I regret not having the surgery sooner. It's the tool I needed to help me with a drug that has been unnoticed for years that drug is food to much and the wrong foods in large amounts. The limits that I have now are just what I needed to help me loss weight. My bp med are lower soon to none, off the c-pap, pains med are a lot less, I can now walk without my cane or walker. This tool has changed my life of the better.