Surgeon
    Dr. Williams
    Last Activity
    08-20-2013 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Talking Hello, my name is Angeline....

I recently had gastric sleeve surgery, July 11, 2013. I have approximately 170 pounds to lose. I have two children with my husband of fourteen years, Mike. He's been wonderful during this process, as have our boys. Initially I was thrown by how much pain I was in after gastric sleeve surgery. I knew I would hurt, but I've had two C-sections, three hernia operations, a rib removal (I fell down stairs twenty years ago and did not know I was born with two extra ribs). My husband has been teasing me that I'm getting older, my pain tolerance is not what it used to be. I don't know.

I'm averaging 650 calories a day, and getting approximately 75 grams of protein a day. I use the Jawbone Up band with my iPhone, it is like the fit bit, but I wear it around my wrist. It tracks my sleep, exercise, and I enter my food.

I am very excited for the future. But wonder, were the rest of you really weak and tired two weeks post op? I'm just dragging, and it's kind of annoying. Though I am a big woman, I was never one to just sit. How long does this part of the journey last?

I am forty four, I work part time at the YMCA, and I'll be homeschooling our boys this year. I hope to make great strides in this new season of my life, and would love to make some friends here going through the same thing.

So far I have lost 28 pounds.

Thank you for having this site, particularly the recipes!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Roxanne Heitkamp
    Surgery date
    07/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alberto Aceves
    Last Activity
    07-28-2013 10:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 71 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 236 Times

Default Re: Hello, my name is Angeline....

My surgery is Tues. and I am pretty sure I won't be pain free - I will admit to being a wuss about pain though. I think what everyone seems to forget is that this is major surgery. Yes, you only have 5 small incisions, but 80-85% of your stomach has been removed. This traumatizes our bodies and affects hormones, and it is the norm to be tired, and it will take some time to get back to normal. I know a portion of patients' stories describe, no surgical pain, a couple of days of bad gas, then back to work. I really don't think the majority of us are this lucky.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    07/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Jose Luis Reyes
    Last Activity
    06-29-2014 10:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hey. I' had my surgery on July 11th as well. My energy is recently getting better. Yours will get better. We did have major surgery after all. But you lost 28lbs. That's amazing. Congrats. I've lost I think 17 lbs since surgery. It's very hard I know. What stage are you at with food. I'm on shakes and like mushy foods. I haven't even started exercising yet. I need the motivation but haven't found it. But I will because I need to. My other problem is liquid intake. I'm not drinking enough water that's another thing I need to work on. Well good luck!

Name
    Janet B
    Surgery date
    06/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. S. McNatt
    Last Activity
    05-20-2021 11:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,126 Times
    Blog Entries

Tired...Definitely!!! I had my surgery June. 19th. My first week back at work I was in bed every night by 8:30p or earlier. Make sure you are taking your vitamins, and b-12 those are the supplements that will boost your energy a little. We will get there.. Hang tight!!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Gastric Sleeve Member kimberly f's Avatar
    Name
    Kimberly
    Surgery date
    08/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr John Romanelli
    Last Activity
    08-26-2013 04:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Angeline, Congrats on your 28lbs that's fantastic!!!!! You'll feel better in time, stay positive and good luck on the rest of your journey.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member reading mom's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Borland
    Last Activity
    02-25-2015 06:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 123 Times
    Was Thanked 218 Times in 210 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,641 Times

Welcome! I think the first 6 weeks or so I felt pretty lethargic. I have more energy now. Good luck with the rest of your recovery! You'll be felling better soon!

Surgery date
    07/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Williams
    Last Activity
    08-20-2013 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you for all of your responses, they've done my heart good

I am now five weeks post op and am doing better. Sleeping's been a bit difficult, but so much better than when I first posted my introduction. I tried so hard not to sound too down in the dumps, LOL! I was feeling very sorry for myself.

On Sunday I hit the 50 pound mark - was very happy about that! I tried yoga yesterday with a friend - hahaha! I did OK and was given a chair to help me a bit. Afterward I was speaking with my husband, and I said to him that I need to do exercise classes such as yoga more often because I was shocked at not only what I could do, but how much of my stomach is gone! I was really thrown by that. I'd like to stay in "tune" with the changes my body is going through so as not to be completely disassociated from the new body I'll have in a year's time.

Thank you for being such a welcoming group!