Name
    Louise
    Last Activity
    01-23-2014 03:09 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Question What should i say to the dr???

Hi there, I am new to this site and new to the world of weight loss surgery.

I have been overweight my whole life, I am now at my heaviest at 130kgs. I have tried really hard over the past year to shed weight and live a healthier lifestyle. I have been to doctors and created eating and exercise plans. My last two efforts got me quite depressed, 1: I didn't get the results I needed to help motivate me and keep me going and 2: the gym and exercise landed me with two bad injuries, first I damaged my left shoulder joint and then I tore all the soft tissue in my lower back.
    I have failed so many times and made silly decisions to use such aids as duromine and meal replacement shakes. I have thought long and hard and feel that surgery would be the best option as I am so tired, so very tired of struggling through life and putting myself down all the time.

I am here to connect with people who can relate and hopefully chat to people who have gone through it all.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow with a new Dr and I am a little nervous about what to say and how to approach the whole subject?! Should I just come out with it? and tell him I want the surgery or is it best for him to conclude that himself? what should I tell him?.... As I said I am just very nervous about discussing my weight with him and ofcourse terrified that he might tell me that he cannot give me a referral or worse, that it is not a possible option.

Any tips to getting the ball rolling would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Lou

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Krystal
    Surgeon
    Dr. DeWitt
    Last Activity
    09-02-2015 09:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: What should i say to the dr???

Hi Lou,

I completely understand what you are going through. Like you, I have also had weight issues my whole life, and have been contemplating surgery for the last couple of years. I have recently decided that the gastric sleeve would be the best option for me. I have talked to my doctors about the surgery in the past, and have had one doctor bring up the surgery to me without me saying anything. I say bring it up to your doctor if they don't bring it up to you first. All they will do is give you their opinion. You can always get a second opinion if you don't like what they have to say. In some cases, you don't need to have a referrel to get the surgery. I went to the seminar, and they let you make an appointment afterward. The Dr. who will do the surgery will most likely determine if they think you are a good candidate for it and which surgery they think you should get. Hope this helps, and good luck!!

Gastric Sleeve Member ScreamAndBeFree's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Classen
    Last Activity
    04-15-2017 07:05 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't know if this info will be any help to you, but I did not discuss the surgery with my primary care doctor or get a referral. I went online and logged into my benefits page for my health insurance. I found the info for bariatric surgery and they had the surgeons they cover listed there on their website. I picked up the phone and called the one in my area. They had an info seminar coming up so I went to it. I got an appointment with the surgeon a few days later and got the process rolling. You say you weigh 130 KGs so I know you are not in the US. I don't know how insurance etc works where you live, but you may not even need a referral. You should call and ask your insurance co.

Gastric Sleeve Member electriclou's Avatar
    Name
    Louise
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks, it does help. It's all a bit overwhelming. I always thought that I would one day lose the weight but every year I put more on. So unhappy with myself. It's just hard to finally accept that I am NOT healthy and things AREN'T going to change. The idea of surgery scares the crap out of me but after watching some peoples results on YouTube videos I feel like there could be some green grass waiting for me on the other side!

Gastric Sleeve Member Harley Granny's Avatar
    Name
    Sue
    Surgery date
    05/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Jawad
    Last Activity
    01-13-2014 09:05 AM
    Said "Thanks" 97 Times
    Was Thanked 324 Times in 312 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 607 Times
    Blog Entries

I'd take a printout of what you want. Be prepared to tell him about it.

Don't hold back anything. You are as new to him as you are to him. Tell him you feel this is the best course of action for you at this point.

Then all you can do is wait to see what he has to say.

Good luck!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    08-03-2017 07:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 120 Times in 108 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

The doctor asked me which surgery I wanted, if you dont know they will probably go over them for you. I know when I watch diet commercials, now I just say liars, they never work in the long run. Sad thing is they know that, the diet industry knows we are suckers for anything that we think will work. I'm hoping this works for me too, let's hope so, the doc said i'll do great with it, you prob will too. good luck

Name
    Louise
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

lol, honestly could live in a world where the word diet doesn't ever have to exist!! "Diet" can go & drown with those other words we hate like "fat" "rolls" "gym" "loser" "lazy" "calories" & " BIKINI!!!!"

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Roxanne Heitkamp
    Surgery date
    07/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alberto Aceves
    Last Activity
    07-28-2013 10:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 71 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 236 Times

Speak to your Dr. the way you would speak to anyone else, and just tell him what you want to do. I have no idea how you go about getting this surgery in Australia - but don't you have universal health care?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Jill R Wallace
    Surgery date
    07/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Daniel Fang
    Last Activity
    09-30-2013 01:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Louise,
    Make sure that when you talk to your regular doctor that he/she knows you have been trying to loose weight for some time. Tell the whole tale. When you meet with the surgeon he will determine if you are a candidate or not. I too have been overweight my entire life. I was on weight watchers for ever. After having children I was not able to loose weight. I tried everything, from cutting out sweets and soda all the way to Zumba 6 hours a week. I did nothing. I finally said to myself. I look gross and feel the same. It is time to do something. I am currently on day 10 post op. Doing well and have already lost 20 lbs. I feel much better about myself and my family and friends say I have this look about me. I think this was a smart choice for me and I wish you good luck!
    Jill

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Forrester
    Last Activity
    07-15-2014 03:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 208 Times in 188 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 263 Times
    Blog Entries

When you go to the primary doc (i never did, i just went straight to bariatric surgeon)...but when you go, tell him straight forward. i want surgery. make sure you are weighed and its recorded, insurance will need that. if he gives you the referal, great, if not...no worries. look up the best bariatric center near you.

Pounds LOST since surgery 111
    Finally reached Onderland 3/1/2013
    Height 5'3" Small frame
    Starting BMI day of surgery : 45.7 MORBIDLY OBESE CLASS 3
    BMI current 26.0 OVERWEIGHT

my first goal is to get to 141pounds, that will put me in the NORMAL range bmi. My second goal is 120, which is thin and healthy.

Name
    Louise
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you to everyone for your kind messages. They gave me confidence! The doc's went well, have been given a referral to talk with a surgeon! Excited

15. Said thanks: