10/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Oliak
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 569 Times in 561 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

Default Re: Is everyone a food addict?

Quote Originally Posted by Msvetrn View Post
    I cant answer your question about whether or not all obese people are food addicts because I am not God, but what I can say is when you are on an online Forum or FaceBook Group or even a Live support group and you put yourself out there with a comment, you open yourself up to ALL kinds of feedback. Particularly ONLINE because the people who are not going to be "supportive" or agree with you do not have to worry about bashing you FACE TO FACE. Additionally, a FORUM, such as this and probably not much different from the closed FB pages, are not necessarily strictly SUPPORT groups and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Unfortunately, if a person is not prepared to take the criticism as well as the "supportive" comments, I would say they are in for some big hurtful moments. That said, I would not discourage you from posting but just take what you find helpful and leave the rest behind. OPEN FORUM are not for the weak at heart, that is for sure!! There are way too many other things to feel sad about and cry over than a bunch of UNKNOWN FB people who do not agree with your way of thinking. Let it go and move forward. :-)
    Exactly what Christy said

Start weight: 286 (8/28/12)
    Pre-op weight: 272 (10/22/12)
    Goal to weigh what my drivers license says: 225 (3/9/13)
    First goal weight: 199 (7/20/13)
    Second goal weight: 186 - 100 lbs lost ( )
    Third goal weight: 175 ( )
    Fourth goal weight: 150 ( )
    Final goal weight: remains to be seen

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/31/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lomenzo
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 24 Times

Not everyone is. I know I'm not. I was just lazy and liked to eat copious amounts of good-tasting food, and when your biggest hobbies are reading and playing video games for hours on end in either hobby, let's just say that doesn't score high on the physical activity scale LOL.

I am sorry your support group is being so judgmental. I know some people don't place a lot of stock in stuff like this, but I found a quiz on the NYTimes website that will rate you on a scale developed by researchers at Yale based on your answers to the questions about whether or not you have a food addiction. I took it and scored 0, but in all honesty, I have never experienced any kind of distress with regards to eating or food or how much I was eating (other than the typical oooo, I feel so guilty for eating this monstrous bowl of ice cream but I'm gonna do it anyway and enjoy it), so I wasn't expecting to see anything new. Even when I went for my psych eval prior to surgery, when I described what I thought was binging (and honestly I said to the doctor I wasn't even sure if what I was about to describe was really binging), they smiled kindly and told me very gently that no, that what I told them is not typical binging behavior or binging at all. Anyway, JUST FOR FUN (I am not suggesting your group was right to accuse you and attack you), maybe you or others would be interested in checking out the quiz. It's very short.

Quiz: Are You Addicted to Food? - NYTimes.com
    Free Weight Loss Tickers at Weight Loss Center

Pre-Op Diet: Didn't lose any weight!
    Morning of surgery: 2 2 0

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member LosingMissLisa's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    04/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Steiner
    Last Activity
    02-01-2014 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thanks leesooim!

I am the same way. Any time I did eat things I shouldn't I did so knowing what I was doing. lol I took the quiz tho and it said I'm not addicted to food, but of course I already knew that. I haven't really participated in the group very much since that happened. I still hesitate to say anything in there at all for fear of offending someone. I guess I just need to get over that and say whatever's on my mind anyways. (not that I'm a mean person....I mean, who would have thought that saying I wasn't addicted to food would offend anyone...esp THAT much?!! lol)

Gastric Sleeve Member HoneyAllen's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Honey Allen
    Last Activity
    08-13-2013 12:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

People on struggle to lose weight may wonder why their weight loss plan isn’t fruitful even though they are depended only on salads. Loading your salad with sour cream excess of dry fruits cheese and meat will of course “derail” your weight loss plan.

Name
    Charlene
    Surgery date
    08/23/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. George S. Webb
    Last Activity
    12-07-2013 05:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 45 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 232 Times
    Blog Entries

I think on some level, yes we all are food addicts. However, the stereotype that ALL obese people sit around on the couch eating "bon bons" is a joke. Are there some people who are lazy and eat themselves to death? Yes, but not everyone's weight is caused by overeating. I love food yes but I have never been one to just lay around and gorge myself on junk food. I have a horrible metabolism (aka hypothyroidism), which has not been helpful over the years.

Just ignore people who are negative. Weight loss surgery in itself is frowned upon by our society, hence the reason a lot of us turn to each other on here for comfort and support. They feel we are taking the easy way out, which is far from the truth. People are afraid of things they don't understand. Keep your chin up

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-03-2014 09:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

I am a food addict. I am considering having VSG but not sure it wil really help someone like me who has intense cravings and eats emotionally.

I'm surprised there aren't more people who consider themselves food addicts.

Name
    Jen
    Surgery date
    05/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Jon Armstrong
    Last Activity
    04-06-2015 05:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 331 Times
    Was Thanked 252 Times in 241 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,922 Times
    Blog Entries

Obesity is not a one size fits all dilemma. We all got here through different avenues. I'm a food addict, I'm a binger, I also don't eat then get hungry and cannot stop eating, I didn't exercise enough, I was sedentary and my poor old body was I. Rough shape after 45 years of dieting with a metabolism that would run backwards if it could.
    Things are different now - but underneath all the positive changes I will never lose sight of what got me there in the first place. If nothing else, this step of having the sleeve had allowed me to bring both the healthy and unhealthy aspects of my nature together.
    Regarding the feedback you got - mentally kick it to the curb and move on. A public forum does not guarantee agreement or suggestions from like minded people. If you don't think it's for ou - vote with your feet.... Or fingers in this instance.
    Highest weight ever - 108kgs, Surgery weight -101kgs, Goal weight - 65kgs

Gastric Sleeve Member mykidz0818's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/14/2013
    Last Activity
    03-19-2014 01:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

I know now I have a food addiction, specially to sugar. No I don't think every overweight or obese person does. My Mother in fact does not and has battled her weight her whole life. I am trying to learn more about food addiction and how people that have it control it. With all that being said if you are no longer getting the support you need from that group, leave.
    Starting the Sleeve Process: weight 340 lbs (March 2012)
    Starting the Liquid Pre-Op Diet: 304 lbs

Gastric Sleeve Member healthier86's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Um
    Last Activity
    10-26-2018 06:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 96 Times in 95 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 267 Times
    Blog Entries

I am sorry that you went through that type of abuse in a support group. My brother and I are both overweight and i identify with being a food addict, however he does not. I can only speak for me and my experiences. Further, this is an conclusion I have come to myself, no doctor has ever diagnosed me as a food addict.

Starting weight: 207
    Day of surgery 9/16/13: 195
    Day released from hospital 9/18/13: 210
    First follow up appt. 9/24: 200
    Second post op appt. 10/1: 188
    Third post op appt. 11/12: 176
    Fourth post op appt: 2/20/14: 155

I can do all things through Christ who strengths me.

Gastric Sleeve Member sugarboger's Avatar
    Name
    Stassy
    Surgery date
    11/22/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-11-2014 10:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

for those who are overweight from hormonal reasons versus overeating, does gastric sleeve work? if you already barely eat, what good is it to restrict your stomach? I have a food addiction, and have suffered eating disorders so now when I diet my body loses weight so slowly I can't keep motivated because if feels like nothing is happening. I know the sleeve will let me feel full and prevent me from eating large portions, therefore I feel I will benefit from the surgery. if you barely eat already, how will the sleeve help?

Gastric Sleeve Member JustWantToBeHealthyAgain's Avatar
    Name
    Katherine
    Surgery date
    12/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. DiBenedetto
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 143 Times in 133 Posts

I think for many people it's a combination. I do overeat at times but it's not all the time, and I don't even like most of the "junk" people eat...I don't drink soda, not a big fan of chips/crackers/snacky items, etc. Sugar consumption is not a problem for me. I can overeat "hearty" food and I have skipped meals, yes that doesn't help.

I do have PCOS, so hormone-wise, my weight has been from that too. It's not JUST hormones or JUST bad habits. For me, it's both. I suspect it's both for many people too.

I really believe that if I did not have PCOS, I'd be really overweight, but not where I am today. Probably 240-250 or so until I decided to lose weight and then it would be gone faster. I have tried to diet and it never worked for me like it would for other people.

I'm not sure if I would classify myself as a food addict, but I do think that I do make some bad choices. I do get some cravings and I'll sometimes skip meals and overreat, not good. Food doesn't rule my life though. I'm a lot better with my choices these days.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Laycock
    Said "Thanks" 84 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 69 Times

There is one thing that I don't understand. If an individuals problem is that they have killed their metabolism by eating too little (and I am not questioning that or doubting it for a second) how would the sleeve work for them? The sleeve is a straight up restriction tool. . . I can't see how it would help at all. I am sure that I am just not understanding something...?

Name
    Leslie McCourt
    Surgery date
    11/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chiasson (Tucson Az)
    Last Activity
    05-26-2014 09:09 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times
    Blog Entries

When I had my psych evaluation, my doctor told me I had an addictive personality and that I would have to be careful not to transfer my food addiction to some other area of my life. Food addiction is as real as any other kind of addiction and I know I will have to be very vigilant so I don't slip back into old patterns.

Gastric Sleeve Member FLaEbonypoliticalprincess's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/23/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    11-26-2013 02:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Blog Entries

Its funny that I just posted about my separation anxiety with food. We need to stay among supportive people.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Big questions. Complicated issues. No one size fits all. (So to speak.)

People are complicated. We aren't fat for single reasons. And certainly not for the reasons someone else is fat.

Just remember, there are two kinds of people: Those who think everyone is like them and those who think everyone else is an idiot.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89