02/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ren-Fielding
    Last Activity
    05-30-2014 03:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 28 Times

Thumbs up Might be able to get my sleeve sooner than I thought!

Hi All!

I haven't been very vocal on here in a whiles but have been reading about all of your stories, welcoming new members, and liking new posts. I thought I'd update everyone on my progress. Last week I went to the 2nd to last visit for my supervised weight loss (required by my insurance) with my surgeon's office. They're sending me to the GI Dr and psychologist and asked me to have my PCP write a letter of recommendation so that they can submit it to the insurance by the end of my final visit during the last week of July. The scheduler told me that if all those components are in and the insurance company says it's a go, we're looking at a surgery date in August super excited, anxious, scared, and nervous all at the same time!

For those of you with small children, my son Noah is 2, how was the healing process? I'm worried about lifting my son. Also, when did everyone return back to work? i'm trying to figure out how many days I would need to take off for the procedure. I'm going back and forth in my head about doing this but after remembering how unsuccessful my other attempts at weight loss have been, i'm convinced i'm doing the right thing for my health, just scared of the unknown!

Nini

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Ramesh Ramanathan
    Last Activity
    10-14-2014 08:34 AM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 62 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 117 Times

Default Re: Might be able to get my sleeve sooner than I thought!

Quote Originally Posted by NiniCakes View Post
    Hi All!

I haven't been very vocal on here in a whiles but have been reading about all of your stories, welcoming new members, and liking new posts. I thought I'd update everyone on my progress. Last week I went to the 2nd to last visit for my supervised weight loss (required by my insurance) with my surgeon's office. They're sending me to the GI Dr and psychologist and asked me to have my PCP write a letter of recommendation so that they can submit it to the insurance by the end of my final visit during the last week of July. The scheduler told me that if all those components are in and the insurance company says it's a go, we're looking at a surgery date in August super excited, anxious, scared, and nervous all at the same time!

For those of you with small children, my son Noah is 2, how was the healing process? I'm worried about lifting my son. Also, when did everyone return back to work? i'm trying to figure out how many days I would need to take off for the procedure. I'm going back and forth in my head about doing this but after remembering how unsuccessful my other attempts at weight loss have been, i'm convinced i'm doing the right thing for my health, just scared of the unknown!

Nini
    My healing process was quite uneventful other than some gas and indigestion for about two weeks. I was off from work for 6 weeks but this was my surgeon's recommendation due to the fact that I'm a nurse and have to lift heavy ppl and am on my feet for 12 hour shifts. I had zero pain and never used my pain meds and in fact requested to be taken off the PCA pain pump the day after surgery because it made me feel woozy. Now, 54 days out, I can do anything I want. You are doing a great thing for yourself and your baby. Quite normal to be nervous. You're gonna do great. Just follow the rules to a "T" and you will be fine! Best to you!

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Sharon
    Surgery date
    09/23/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Barry Greene, Rockville, Md.
    Last Activity
    08-20-2013 09:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 537 Times

Congratulations on your decision. I have not had my surgery yet..but I know that lifting right after surgery is a no no. I wish you much luck.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Brad
    Surgery date
    06/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Turton
    Last Activity
    06-25-2015 09:00 PM
    Said "Thanks" 49 Times
    Was Thanked 173 Times in 162 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 310 Times

Good for you. hope it is quick

Highest recorded weight ( summer 2012)= 346
    Pre op weight 6/17/13= 310
    Surgery day weight 6/24/13= 297
    Weight on 7/24/13= 271
    Weight on 8/24/13=258
    Weight on 9/24/13=257 stall
    Weight on 10/24/13=247
    Weight on 11/24/13=241
    Weight on 12/24/13=238

8. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

I had 2 weeks off work, but was doing some work from home much earlier than that - emails, writing documents/reports etc.

I was told no lifting for 6 weeks, so you're going to have to do some thinking and planning around your son. I'm sure others on here with small children can talk about how they coped with that.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member NiniCakes's Avatar
    Name
    Nini Cakes ;)
    Surgery date
    02/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ren-Fielding
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times

Thanks to all who responded to the thread! I'm going to be sure to check with my surgeon on the specifics but I know it's gonna be heartbreaking for me to not be able to pick up my son :-( In the time since I started this thread, I am happy to say that I went on an interview and was hired, so I will be starting a new job on July 22nd, yay! i'm elated but it's bittersweet as I've been with my current job for the past 6 years. My new job is still with the same organization, just a different department.... which brings me to my next dilemma. Since I will be starting a new job, i'm not sure how many days I can request off so soon. If I do get scheduled to be sleeved in August, I'm wondering how much time I would need off to recuperate. I've already requested a Thursday and Friday off, and I'm off on the weekends, then I could call in sick that Monday, that would give me 5 days to rest up after surgery, and it would be even greater if my surgeon did an early evening procedure that Wednesday, something I will ask her about! I do office work, so most of my time will be at a desk and I will probably get up to make scans, faxes, and photocopies, so I was wondering if all I would need is a few days before returning to this kind of work. I really don't want to prolong my procedure, but I'm worried I'd need more time :-/

Surgery date
    10/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    04-18-2015 09:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 419 Times in 405 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,435 Times
    Blog Entries

I had other abdominal surgeries when my children were little, and could not pick them up. But they learned quickly that if they wanted to be comforted, they had to come to me on the couch. I had the second surgery when they were about 6 mo and 2 yrs, and during that recovery period I tore the muscles under the incision which was quite painful.

If all goes well, you might be able to have the long weekend to recover, I have read about others who have done it at a desk type job.

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member hopingtobelesssoon's Avatar
    Name
    Amber
    Surgery date
    10/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kowalski
    Last Activity
    12-16-2013 09:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 30 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,683 Times

At the time of my surgery our son was 19 months. I was cleared to lift for diaper changes at 10 days but not to put him in the car seat until 1 month.

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member NiniCakes's Avatar
    Name
    Nini Cakes ;)
    Surgery date
    02/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ren-Fielding
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times

WOW! Has it really been a month since I've posted online? Time flies! lol Thanks "Think" and "hopingtobelesssoon" I appreciate your responses! To update you on my progress, I went to my final supervised weight loss/NUT appointment on July 24th. The NUT told me that they usually suggest that the patients take at least 2 weeks off to heal, rest, and adjust to their sleeve. She said they may be able to give me some sort of a splint to wrap around my abdomen to aid with picking up my son, but I wouldnt push it!

Since i've just started a new job, taking off 2 weeks is not feasible for me until december!!! I'm off the week of Christmas and the week of New Years, so if this is the case, once I'm approved I would probably have them schedule me for the week right before Christmas. I just had a dr's appointment this afternoon to request the letter of recommendation for weight loss surgery. Now the final step is for me to have the Endoscopy done on September 10th and I will be done with all the pre-reqs! fingers crossed Cigna approves the surgery!

Amber your weight loss is inspiring! How's it been these past few months post surgery?