03/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    04-11-2014 07:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: The 3 Complaints I can't stand!

Thanks to all that have liked my post and know where I'm coming from. You are right MNMomma when you say you see the same posts in the news feed constantly. It is no surprise to me that I there are not many vets on here anymore.. Personally I would not want to read constant whiney posts either. If you are looking for a sugar coated response from me on this you are not going to find one. Like Rox said I actually have the stones to give a straight up answer that I believe needed to be said.
    Application for Surgery - January 2013 -224lbs
    VSG Surgery Day - March 1st 2013 - 212lbs

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Donald Schwab
    Last Activity
    06-13-2016 02:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 274 Times in 246 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,770 Times
    Blog Entries

Well said skgirl. It is like many take the same approach to their research as they do to the work outs. They are looking for something fast and easy. I have to agree with others that ANYTHING WORTH DOING TAKES WORK. We all do need the support of others and it is encouraging to see that others go through the same issues. With that said it does not make our stall unique. I knew what to expect when my first stall hit. I knew it was coming and that still didnt make it easy to deal with emotionally. All I can say is that I put on my big boy pants and stayed true to the course. Godspeed to all of you on this journey.
    LIFE is NOT a Spectator SPORT!!

Highest weight ----343 lbs 2008
    First Consult weight--288 lbs 3/10/13
    Surgical weight ---266 lbs 5/10/13
    Lowest adult weight 237 lbs 12/03/13

Gastric Sleeve Member bergamini's Avatar
    Name
    John
    Surgery date
    11/30/2012
    Surgeon
    Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    05-20-2020 10:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 174 Times
    Was Thanked 147 Times in 122 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 122 Times
    Blog Entries

I do hate to be unsupportive, and I acknowledge that risk, but we all must admit that there are numerous posts that are "my doc says this" and then they ask if they can do something else. That's never appropriate because our doctors know us best. For me, I'm in a phase now where I'm a relative veteran and I should be giving more support than I get but it's hard when I see those posts and I'm like have you done any research at all? It's a good idea for me to be more supportive so I will try!

Gastric Sleeve Member christine53's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    03-01-2015 10:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 84 Times
    Was Thanked 229 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 162 Times
    Blog Entries

I agree, that is why I'm not on here as much as I use to be. I wonder how old some of these people are. Or who there doctor is. Or how much of this forum do they really read. I bitched and mooned for 35 years about my weight and how I have done something about it. So that is over! Now I have a tool to help me work it! It is a change all the time and I just go with it. Cause I know I will win! Stalls, days of not eating, days of eating everything, weight gain, being down, that's all going to happen. This is life, but with help. And that's all it is help. So quit crying and get to work and be what you want to be. If you have not been sleeved yet, good luck and what the heck are you waiting for?

Name
    John
    Surgery date
    11/30/2012
    Surgeon
    Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 174 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't know any of the mods, but maybe a pinned thread about stalls would help not only alleviate the stress some of the newbies are going through, but clean up the forum feeds from redundant posts?

7. Said thanks:

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    06/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Macaroon
    Last Activity
    10-06-2014 02:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 97 Times
    Was Thanked 48 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 558 Times

I have been looking around this forum for about a month, and just figured out yesterday how to use the search tool. Just saying.

10. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Rami Lutfi
    Last Activity
    02-05-2014 09:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts

How utterly sad. This is supposed to be a place to come as you are, without judgement and help one another on this journey. Don't we get enough judgement being overweight in public? If I were perfect as some of the above posters obviously have been, I wouldn't need to be here and I would not have gotten to a weight of 302 lbs. The sarcasm and over the top judgement are unbelievable. I am fairly new here but my God, if this is the way people "support" one another, count me out.
    Taking it one day at a time

12. Said thanks:

Name
    John
    Surgery date
    11/30/2012
    Surgeon
    Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 174 Times
    Blog Entries

It does sound harsh but after you've been here a while, you do see that a lot of the board is clogged up with the same basic posts. After participating for a while, it gets frustrating. I WANT to give back and share my experience, knowledge and successes with new members but it gets challenging when post after post has information that could be answered with the very prominent "Search the forums" box at the top left hand column, asking one's physician or using logic. I literally saw a recent post where the OP was frustrated and regretting surgery because she "only" lost 23# in the first 30 days. Huh? There are so many posts about stalls it causes me to miss more substantive discussions. I support people and their hopes, fears, failures and successes. It becomes a struggle when people are looking for us to enable them to ignore their doctor's advice or deal with their expectations that one month after surgery they will have a new body and be ready to pose for glamour shots. The OP on this thread is just sharing her frustrations, that many of us share, and she should be able to express that. I have taken hours out of my life to reply and share with new members. It would be easier to do so if the members just took a few minutes to do searches, follow their doctor's advice and put things in perspective. Nobody is judging anyone for their weight, nor do we not want to support new members, but at the point someone wants sympathy for only losing 23# in a month, I draw the line.

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Kurt Roberts
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times

you people really need to get over yourselves...we are not here to shoot the breeze about who won the mets game!! goodness sake if you don't like the repetition just quietly bitch to yourselves and don't make us feel ridiculous for asking questions that have been asked..this is quite the most unfriendly forum I have seen and I certainly will be leaving...take care and good luck to everyone..peace be with you!

Name
    John
    Surgery date
    11/30/2012
    Surgeon
    Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 174 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cathie View Post
    ....just quietly bitch to yourselves....
    So, apparently you can complain about threads that you don't like, such as this one, but we are not allowed to discuss the ones we don't? I see. The main concern is that these frivolous threads are clogging up the board and making it difficult to contribute as we wade through more tears about stalls. We want to help new people, but the volume of threads makes it difficult to find where we can really help.

Gastric Sleeve Member MysticalMaybe's Avatar
    Name
    Deseree
    Surgery date
    08/19/2013
    Surgeon
    DR Um
    Last Activity
    05-01-2015 02:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 138 Times
    Was Thanked 124 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 339 Times

I would like to say something..... Did anyone get a bitchy responce from their doctors when they asked all the questions they wanted??? No?? you know why??? because a doctor is a professional and is there for you like a support group. Doctors get asked the same questions 20 times a day or more. Have you ever had a doctor say "GOSH WHY DONT YOU SEARCH ONLINE BEFORE YOU ASK ME" ??? No??? do you know why??? because they have to be there to support you like a support group.

Sorry to burst everyones bubble but this is a support group not a chat site we are all here for support and to give support Some people don't even know how to post or search for posts. Some this is their first day and first post and of course they post why did I stop losing weight without knowing the site because they are scared. Some want everyone to know what they did and why me what did I do wrong thinking that their story is different.

If you want to talk about other things the Tiki Hut is there for you. I know its tuff to see the same post from different people over and over but please give them the respect they deserve. They came to a support group looking for support.

Name
    John
    Surgery date
    11/30/2012
    Surgeon
    Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 174 Times
    Blog Entries

It's not a support group; it's definitely a message board. With that said, I KNOW that I've given and received a ton of support. The point I am repeatedly trying to make is that it makes it harder to provide and offer support with those many redundant posts. If someone can post to a forum, then they have gone by and had the opportunity to see the "Search" box. With that said, this is why I previously proposed a tacked thread about stalls, like "Why have I stopped losing weight? All you need to know about stalls," and then we can all share our experiences there.

Doctors get paid a lot more money than the senior members on this board who have the experiences to share, and do so for free and very willingly. I wouldn't have made it through my early phases without this board so I am very appreciative but there is a lot of merit to the OP's complaints. I read two threads today alone about people who were eating solid foods like a week out and looking for support. If my doctor said something, I listened even if it was different and more stringent than what your doctor said. I will not support someone eating solid food 9 days out and I won't support someone who thinks surgery was a bad idea because they only lost 23# in 30 days.

If it is a brand new member (and we can tell by the post), I am much more respectful and patient.

Name
    Brigitte
    Surgery date
    08/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times
    Was Thanked 400 Times in 330 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 140 Times

To both sides of the issue, if you don't like what you see, don't read it. Simple.

As for clogging up a board, it's not. The whole point of this board is information.

Do I bother to answer every thread? No. I sometimes answer the same question over and over, and others times I skip it, knowing someone else will answer it.

There really is a limited amount of questions pertaining to the sleeve. If everyone had to just search out their answer, instead of creating a new thread, the board would die off from lack of new posts.

Message boards such as this are whatever you (general you) want them to be. Take what you need from it, offer what your want. To some, it is a support group, to others, it is a chat site. Some, like the OP, it's a bitching place. It's all good. No one should leave. If one person annoys you, put them on "Ignore" (it's a feature of this software and can be found in your UserCP).
    Nov. 15/17 - re-sleeve, hiatal hernia repair, gallbladder removal with Dr. A. Lopez from AloBariatrics in Puerto Vallarta

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member MysticalMaybe's Avatar
    Name
    Deseree
    Surgery date
    08/19/2013
    Surgeon
    DR Um
    Last Activity
    05-01-2015 02:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 138 Times
    Was Thanked 124 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 339 Times

Alot of people don't have the best medical insurance (like you may have) I know alot of people that their doctors never told them about birth control, smoking, Drinking, I can go on and on... they have shitty insurance, not that they don't listen... they were never told.

Also I think this is about the 5th time someone has posted complaints about the same issue as the OP and I have not given them greef about it. I didn't ask Hay didn't you see the complaints post so and so just complained about? why didn't you do a search?

I scroll thru and if I see the same posts its okay. I may not look at all of them... I don't need to, I look for ones that intrest me. I honestly thought this was going to be complaints about the sleeve so it cought my eye. If I would have known it was this I wouldn't have scrolled on. I'm just asking for people to look outside of their box and realize there are others in this world that may not have or may not know what you know so please play nice and pass it on.

22. Said thanks:

Name
    Ben
    Surgery date
    04/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-10-2016 04:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

Try to remember what it was like when you were newly sleeved and some serious questions or doubts. Do you remember your first stall and how frustrated you felt because of it? Maybe you don't. Maybe you never had a stall. Lets not be rude to those who indeed need some help and support. People join this forum to get supportive advice and a boost along the way, not to be bitched at! So yes these topics come up over and over and people need to learn correctly so please let's use a little more couth and a little more tact try to help educate people without shaming them into it. Have you forgotten what it is like to be treated with such disrespect? THE WORLD JUDGES OBESE PEOPLE ALL TOO RUDELY AND HARSHLY- CAN WE PLEASE AVOID THAT ON THIS FORUM?

24. Said thanks:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast