I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    06-24-2014 11:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Question Lap band VS Gastric Sleeve

I have heard a lot of people saying that they need to convert to the gsleeve after the lap band... My main concern is loosing too much weight, hair and nutrients - not being healthy, also being out of work too long. I'd love to see how long most people took to recover and if there are any issues they regret... ESPECIALLY THOSE THAT HAVE HAD IT DONE OVER 2 YEARS AGE But any advice would be helpful. Thanks, Kris (47 yr old, 212 lbs, 5'2")

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/16/2011
    Surgeon
    Richard Borrse
    Last Activity
    06-24-2013 11:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Re: Lap band VS Gastric Sleeve

It has been 2 years 4 months and I still love my sleeve. I have lost around 110 pounds. Gone from a size 24 to a 10 and am very happy there. I did lose a lot of hair the first 6-8 months but it has almost all come back now. I just got my 2 year labs done a month or two ago and they are still all well within normal limits. So my nutrition still looks good. I have times where I do struggle to get in my protein so I have to get my head back in order every once in a while but nothing like before my sleeve. I feel so much better over all and have much more energy. Again I do love my sleeve.

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aj33 View Post
    It has been 2 years 4 months and I still love my sleeve. I have lost around 110 pounds. Gone from a size 24 to a 10 and am very happy there. I did lose a lot of hair the first 6-8 months but it has almost all come back now. I just got my 2 year labs done a month or two ago and they are still all well within normal limits. So my nutrition still looks good. I have times where I do struggle to get in my protein so I have to get my head back in order every once in a while but nothing like before my sleeve. I feel so much better over all and have much more energy. Again I do love my sleeve.
    Thank you so much for your information!!! It makes me feel much better about the surgery!

Gastric Sleeve Member Socaldixiegal's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    01-04-2017 01:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 177 Times in 156 Posts

I had the band for over 5 years. Lost 50 lbs over 3 years (30 the first year then dieted to lose the other 20 in 2 years). Last two years I regained 30 lbs. I didn't have any serious side effects from the band - other than it didn't work. They say that all WLS is just a tool. In my case with the band, it wasn't even a tool. So, nope, I didn't have serious side effects or hair loss but I also didn't even come close to being termed successful.

In 4 months I'm 15 lbs lower than the low point I got with the band. Can't speak to the long term issues, but if I temporarily lose some hair, I'd rather that than continue to be overweight.

Starting weight for lap-band = 252
    miserable 5 years later
    Starting weight for VSG = 229
    Pre-op weight = 219

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy1 View Post
    Thank you so much for your information!!! It makes me feel much better about the surgery!
    I forgot, I was wondering how long it took you to feel better right after the surgery. I am a teacher and have to be back at school by Aug. 17th and I don't know if I will be able to do that, or maybe over Christmas break at 3 weeks off??? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated! Also, I did want to say how courageous you were in getting this done. It scares me to think of loosing some of the foods I love, and is it true..... never a soda again lol
    Thanks again!
    Kris

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times
    Blog Entries

I think I am hearing almost everyone say the same thing... So what an inspiration you are for me! How long did it take you to recover. I am a teacher, and if you go by your surgery, about how long do you think I'd have to take off of teaching? I have a big Christmas break and would like to try then, or even at the last part of my summer break .... if possible. Anyway, you look fabulous! You are almost exactly where I am at... 212 lbs... but short lol... How are you feeling now, and what kind of an eating regime do they have you on? Thank you so much -- I greatly appreciate your insight!!!
    Kris

Gastric Sleeve Member PipperMarrow's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kim
    Last Activity
    04-30-2014 06:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi, I have not had surgery yet, I am waiting on approval, however I have read on here that most people need 2 to 3 weeks off work to recover. I plan on taking 12 business days as that is the longest I can possible be out. I had a friend who had the band and she was miserable and ended up getting sleeved afterward and was successful. I'm no doctor, but I think the sleeve is the way to go from what I have read and seen.

Name
    Lora
    Surgery date
    11/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Schweitzer
    Last Activity
    08-12-2015 10:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy1 View Post
    I have heard a lot of people saying that they need to convert to the gsleeve after the lap band... My main concern is loosing too much weight, hair and nutrients - not being healthy, also being out of work too long. I'd love to see how long most people took to recover and if there are any issues they regret... ESPECIALLY THOSE THAT HAVE HAD IT DONE OVER 2 YEARS AGE But any advice would be helpful. Thanks, Kris (47 yr old, 212 lbs, 5'2")
    When I talked with my doc before surgery he told me that they were phasing out the band and using the sleeve instead. There is no malabsorption of nutrients or dumping with the sleeve. Typically your hair starts thinning (like after pregnancy) 3-6mos post-op and stops 3-6mos after that. If you take biotin it helps deter the thinning. My hair started thinning around 4 mos, I started taking the Biotin right away and it's slowed down to just "normal" shedding.

I had the sleeve 11/19/12, surgery was a breeze & recovery was super quick. I went back to work at day 10, but I could've gone back sooner if my doc let me. The only pain after surgery was from the laporscopic gasses, and some minor aches. I was up walking that night (which they encourage to work the gasses out and deter blood clots) and every few hours after that. I had sx on a Thursday and readily went home Saturday afternoon.

I don't regret a thing...had I known....I would've done it YEARS ago!!!!!

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks Lora!! That makes me feel better about getting it done! I am so ready, but I just found out ins. will cover most of it, or I would have done it sooner! Keep up the great work!!!
    Kris

12. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alvarez
    Last Activity
    07-08-2013 08:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I haven't had mine yet. But my friend who has been my mentor in this process told me that she was ready for work in less than a week. Granted her job is behind a desk without much bending or lifting.