Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    06-26-2011 02:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default I'm 100% confused - from chicago

I don't know how to begin. I have read tons of reviews about surgeons in Mexico. Mostly good, some not so good, I'm sure these are typical complications that can be experienced here even. I just want to know, where do I start? I would like to go to Dr. Kelly, or even one of the 2 "A" doctors (meaning their name starts with A), but how do I book them? Also, is the language going to be a barrier? I also don't have a PCP, if anyone is in Chicago or from the area, that can suggest a PCP that would be great.
    Do I need to go through a 3rd party to book everything? I didn't see a site for Dr. Kelly. Any info would be good as well as suggestions.

Thanks

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Judie
    Surgery date
    06/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Last Activity
    06-03-2015 09:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times
    Was Thanked 417 Times in 281 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 382 Times

Default Re: I'm 100% confused - from chicago

I just went to Dr K a week ago, and it was super easy. They all use coordinators who are generally former patients. Go to "ALighterMe.com" and Call or Email then (calling is almost always answered). The person who you talk with will probably be Sandy. She is completely American and you can talk to her on the phone. She sent me some paperwork. I printed it, filled it out, scanned it back in and emailed to her (can also fax). I sent her my desired surgery dates (only 10 days from when I called her!), and she sent me back confirmation that they had reviewed my files and I was scheduled for my preferred date. All I had to do after that was arrange for our flights to San Deigo and back, get my passport, and I went in one extra night early and got a hotel in San Diego.

Other than that, there is nothing to do except follow the pre-diet they send you! No psych consults, etc. For payment, they let you put a deposit to hold your date, etc, but since mine was so close I just wired the money in full. THey have an account with Wells Fargo bank at a branch in San Diego.

All my transportation was taken care of. THe driver called me a few days before I left to confirm where and when he would be picking me up (its largely up to you!), and getting from the hospital to the hotel was taken care of my the scrub nurse. Then the same driver picked us up at the hotel and took us back to the airport in san diego in plenty of time for my flight. THey do this all the time, and its pretty foolproof!

Dr K is AWESOME! He spends all the time with you that you want, and even just chats about anything else. He also comes by the hotel once you move to there (3 nights in hospital, 2 nights in hotel - all included with driver and everything - for $5500 for VSG). He stayed at the hotel 2 hours the first night just chatting with us, and an hour the next night. Met his wife and little boy (super cute), and the scrub nurse came by one night with him. The follow up Dr, Romero, also came to the hotel for a visit.

Ask away! It was only a week ago, so super fresh in my mind. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Judie
    Surgery date
    06/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times

Oh - Sandy works with several doctors. So when you talk or email her, just mention you are interested in Dr Kelly.

Surgery date
    07/26/2011
    Last Activity
    01-04-2015 03:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 46 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Was there a special reason you may have stayed in the hospital 3 nights? I was told 2 nights hospital and 2 nights hotel. I too am going to Dr. Kelly.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Judie
    Surgery date
    06/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times

I stayed the night before surgery as well. Not sure if that is required, but I traveled a long way and it wasnt really reasonable for me to get there the morning of surgery. Plus then all the testing still would be needed etc. So the driver picked me up in San Diego about 3pm on Thursday, arrived at the hospital by 4pm and had all the tests, went out to eat and to bed, and they did the surgery at 8am the next morning. I then stayed 2 nights in the hospital and on Sunday went to the hotel. I flew home on Tuesday. There was no extra charge for the night... are you local?

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Heidi
    Surgery date
    05/02/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Armando Joya
    Last Activity
    07-29-2011 02:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

For Dr Alvarez, you go to his website: endobariatric.com. It is usually cheaper to go directly through the doctor rather than a medical tourism site. But of course, not always. I went to Dr Joya in Puerto Vallarta on May 2nd. I booked directly with him on DrJoya.com and it was $500 cheaper. Dr Joya's rate includes the first night in hotel, 2 nights in hospital and then 2 more nights in hotel. It also includes the flight. The hotel is directly on the beach with beautiful views and wonderful service. Dr Kelly's telephone number is 877-542-3822.

Good luck!!
    Heidi

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    05-06-2012 01:22 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 81 Times
    Blog Entries

Dr. Almanza (TJ, Mexico) is very good. You can get all of the information from Melissa Bracker 1-866-310-4625. I think they are cheaper than the others. I think the cost is $4500.00. You pay for the plane ticket to SanDiego and if you go in the night before, you get a discount at the Hampton Inn. The Hampton Inn will pick you up at the airport and take you to the hotel. The next morning they will take you to the pick up spot at the airport. The driver will pick you up at the airport and take you to the Hospital Jerusulam.
    Good Luck with your decision.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    05-29-2013 09:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

you can call me at 619 395 5347

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Judie
    Surgery date
    06/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times

Hi Dr Kelly! Nice to see you on here! THANK YOU for doing my surgery

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    04-23-2015 02:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Dr, Kelly I see you are on here trying to answer some questions about the cordinators and from what i have read you are a great dr. and im planning on using yoiu as soon as i can get my frunds together. But i was going to say you may want to go to verticalsleevetalk forum also because there is alot of discussion there to.