Surgeon
    Dr. Richard Collier
    Last Activity
    11-20-2016 09:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Day 2 post op...wondering if it was a mistake??

My husband and I both had our sleeves done on 6-13, right after surgery, I felt good, very little discomfort, up and walking right away. Now however, not so good, the discomfort is significant, and the pain med Dr gave is liquid form, I can't take it, makes me throw up. Our Dr is a by the book kind of Dr, we are supposed to have 30cc's of Isopure every 10 min, but I throw up with it too. I just want to cry!!! I know that this is only temporary, but not handling it very well. I sure could use so advice and encouragement.

Shannon

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member turtlewoman's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kate
    Said "Thanks" 70 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times

Default Re: Day 2 post op...wondering if it was a mistake??

I haven't had surgery yet so I don't have any first hand advice but I think I would call the Doctor and tell him about not being able to keep anything down. There are meds they can give you for nausea/vomiting that will help. All that vomiting can't be good for your just operated on stomach.
    Kudos to you and your husband for having the surgery together. You will be great support for each other as you go through this journey.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member coolmom43's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Shannon
    Surgery date
    06/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Richard Collier
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Blog Entries

I have anti nausea med, but it does not keep me from throwing the Isopure or the pain med up. I plan to call him a little later this morning.

Banned
    Name
    Christy
    Surgery date
    09/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-16-2014 05:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 645 Times
    Was Thanked 491 Times in 418 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 493 Times
    Blog Entries

There are HUNDREDS of protein drinks out there. Every newly sleeved person is different and, in my opinion (and its ONLY my opinion), any WLS doctor who would expect EVERY patient to drink one kind of protein postop and tolerate it is an idiot. The same goes for the liquid pain medicine. Ther have been MANY of us who took pills post op.

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

I was on IV pain meds still at day 2 and only on thin liquids at your stage. I had nausea and dry wretching overnight the first night, and some on the following day. I didn't have anything at all by mouth for about 36 hours, and then only thin liquids (water and cordial) for the next 24 hours. No substantial liquids, and no oral meds at your stage. Went onto fuller liquids by day 4.

This is, as you say, very temporary - so don't think in terms of regret. This is just a problem to solve, and some discomfort to tolerate. You will solve this together with your medical team, even if you need to back of taking too much orally at the moment. Don't panic. I'm sure this will work out.

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    12/19/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Vernon
    Last Activity
    08-09-2023 10:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 94 Times in 92 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 102 Times

Shannon, are you able to tolerate any type of liquid at this point? This early out, liquid and staying hydrated is of utmost importance, more so than protein. If you are not able to get liquids in, I think you need to call the doctor sooner rather than later (as in, now). I am sorry you are going through this but it will get better!

Check out my blog! http://thebariblogger.wordpress.com/

Height: 5'6"
    Highest Weight 6/12: 257 lbs
    Weight at start of pre-op diet 12/6/12: 241 lbs
    Surgery Weight 12/19/12: 228 lbs
    ONEderland! 2/12/13: 199lbs
    25 more to go! 5/21/13: 175lbs

Gastric Sleeve Member smilingkris's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Genaw
    Last Activity
    12-25-2014 12:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times
    Blog Entries

It gets better! You can do this. You are only a couple of days post op. It takes time to heal and get used to your new tummy. Hugs!

12. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    06/07/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shillingford
    Last Activity
    05-02-2016 06:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 175 Times
    Was Thanked 291 Times in 272 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 250 Times

Sorry to hear you are going through this. Getting liquids in right now is extremely important! Stress to your doctor that you don't want to end up dehydrated and you are having some serious issues with keeping anything down. I am not your doctor but I can tell you what many of us have done to keep hydrated in these early days (I am only on day 8) we have drank G2 Gatorade to keep our electrolytes in good shape. Taking pills is not out of the question many of us early on have taken pills instead of the liquid. I know you said he is a by the book person but in the end it is your life and future and he must listen to your individual needs. Best of luck to you!!!

14. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jeffery Allen
    Last Activity
    04-08-2015 10:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 122 Times in 115 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 370 Times
    Blog Entries

I haven't had my sleeve yet but from reading all the post I feel safe in saying...This too will pass. You are strong and you can do this. It took a lot to make the decision and have this done, don't give up yet! You have the rest of your life and this is just a very small part of it. You CAN do this.

16. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    04-18-2015 09:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 419 Times in 405 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,435 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coolmom43 View Post
    My husband and I both had our sleeves done on 6-13, right after surgery, I felt good, very little discomfort, up and walking right away. Now however, not so good, the discomfort is significant, and the pain med Dr gave is liquid form, I can't take it, makes me throw up. Our Dr is a by the book kind of Dr, we are supposed to have 30cc's of Isopure every 10 min, but I throw up with it too. I just want to cry!!! I know that this is only temporary, but not handling it very well. I sure could use so advice and encouragement.

Shannon
    I would contact your doctor and explain about the vomiting and how you are unable to keep anything down. They need to change your anti-nausea medicine. I understand this is Saturday, but he should have a service who can page him or his associate.

18. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    06/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Macaroon
    Last Activity
    10-06-2014 02:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 97 Times
    Was Thanked 48 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 558 Times

I also crushed my pills and put them on jello. It was kinda gross but I got it down.

20. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    06/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Macaroon
    Last Activity
    10-06-2014 02:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 97 Times
    Was Thanked 48 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 558 Times

Hang in there, I was miserable day 2 - 6, and even found myself crying a bit last night.

Gastric Sleeve Member SweetpeaMo's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Horgan
    Last Activity
    04-04-2014 12:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Hang in there - it will get better. I was the same - When I came home on day 2 after surgery I couldn't take the liquid pain meds because they made me so sick. I just stopped taking them and by day 3 the pain started to ease. By day 4 it was much better and it only got better from there. I wondered if I made a mistake but it was the best thing I've done for myself. You will be just fine - you've got this.

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member coolmom43's Avatar
    Name
    Shannon
    Surgery date
    06/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Richard Collier
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Blog Entries

I am able to keep liquids down, just not the isopure and the med. I spoke with my doctor and he said to try the ensure clear, it is much better than the isopure, not crazy about it, but I can tolerate it. I have always been very sensitive to smell and taste, I have a quick gag reflex, so if something is nasty tasting, it usually comes right back up. Thanks for all of the comments, they really help!!
    Shannon

Gastric Sleeve Member swarizonaone's Avatar
    Name
    Kris
    Surgery date
    12/07/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Alan Saber
    Last Activity
    05-29-2014 12:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 46 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

EVERY DAY FOR THE FIRST SIX MONTHS you will think this was the biggest mistake of your life. yes, your doc wants you on certain things... mine did too. but only you know what your body can handle. I lived on sugar free popsicles and chicken broth for the first 4 weeks. I was so worried about protein and my hair falling out. but hey, my body couldn't take it. I slept sitting up because of the acid in my stomach. at 4 weeks, I started eating one peeled apple every night before bed, which took away the acid reflux completely. I started eating creamed soups and spaghettios out of a can. Protein powder, unflavored was the best, it looked like parmesan cheese and it had zero flavor. I put it on/in everything. cream of potato soup became my best friend. and I still sucked on all those popsicles to get in my "liquids" because I still couldnt drink . 64 oz of anything a day? impossible.
    at the 6 week mark I started on mac and cheese and stuff. mashed potatoes, anything soft. but when you are full, STOP! your stomach will tell you. you will know.
    I also had a lot of tiny gas bubbles that seemed to bother me a lot. Gas X strips for the first four weeks on my tongue stopped that. and then from 4 weeks to the 5 month mark, I popped one gas x tiny gel pill every morning or before a meal out. It stopped a lot of my gas issues.

at over 18 month mark now, I'm at goal weight, I don't have any food issues or allergies, I'm back to my pre operation eating, except the size of food I eat typically for a meal, is about a taco from taco bell (that size). one hotdog and that is it. Or 3/4 can spaghettios. don't push it. your stomach is healing and if your doc says you need to be getting this, or that... yeah, ok.
    just suck on those popsicles, use the unflavored protein powders (I still use it on my kid's food because he's a vegetarian and I think he always looks sickly, so he's agreed to put that on his foods--kids are picky so we actually PUT IT IN A PARMESAN CHEESE SHAKER CONTAINER... HAHAHA)

you will do fine.

and you will look back on this in one year and say, "oh my, i panicked, now I need to get on the site and give my success stories to others."
    good luck in your journey. YOU WILL NOT THINK THIS IS A MISTAKE AFTER ONE YEAR. TRUST ME. I could only do a shot glass of water, sipping, on day two. it wasn't until day four when I had my first pushup popsicle out of those little sleeve things. I bought the box of 500 and I laid on couch, watched tv and munched on those for the first two weeks... like 4 a day. so don't push your body.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast