Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gastric Sleeve Member spangebabe's Avatar
    Last Activity
    02-13-2014 12:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default Re: Raw Juice After Sleeve

I watched fat sick and nearly dead, incredible doco, since then I have been juicing once or twice a day, usually my breakfast is a juice made up of kale, spinach, cucumber, carrot, apple and half a raw beetroot and then a lemon, really refreshing and zingy! If I juice i use it to replace say a meal (ie) breakfast or a snack, im preop by the way, but i will most definately be continuing this after surgery if i am able, my biggest concern is micronutrient deficiences etc and not feeding my cells the amazing goodies from fruit and vegies. I did do a full juice cleanse for 5 days and after the initial detox i was bouncing off the walls!! my skin was amazing also!, I wish i had the ability or willpower just to lose my weight doing this, like Joe Cross did on the program, i have 45kilos to lose, my main concern is keeping it off though, it HAS to become your all and I am sooo sick of dieting etc taking over my life, i guess after bariatric surgery it will be the same but that crazy hunger will hopefully be less, i feel like im constantly fighting my body, im just hoping after surgery and once everything has settled down I can just get on with living! I eat a very high diet in plant based foods, one of my concerns after bariatric surgery was not being able to do this, but i found this amazing bariatric surgeon Dr Garth Davis, he is on Facebook and his newsfeed is awesome and he promotes a plant based diet to all his bariatric patients with plant based protein with very limited animal protein, the studies he has done are amazing, and i gotta say his patients do very well and are so healthy. I would love to contribute to his page and talk with people on there but i dont want my Facebook friends knowing about my surgery!! But Im all for juicing, just use it as a snack,or breakfast etc if you look on Dr Garth Davis's Facebook page and scroll back through all the history all the information and research is awesome, how the body feels fuller after nutrient dense foods etc as its being fed correctly, he is anti high protein though, especially animal protein, any protein he uses is from hemp seeds, quinoa, lentils, chia seeds etc etc but if you are interested in it check it out, with the juicing the theory is that with the fibre being removed the body doesnt have to work so hard to break it down resulting in your cells absorbing all the micronutrients and flooding your body with all that goodness, i find it really interesting, but worth investigating further if you are interested in it, i think the more vegies you can get in your body the better off your health will be long term! xo

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    nancy
    Surgery date
    08/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Sofronski
    Last Activity
    01-16-2014 10:23 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Hi all..... I have seen the documentary fat sick and nearly dead. It made me stop in my tracts very powerful. I have been juicing for almost a year and it has helped me greatly with my health issues. I do more greens kale carrots cucumbers. I have one or two a day. I just invested in vitamix blender it's very powerful you can put almost any thing in it whole and it blends. Whole raw frozen so you get all the nutrients. I will follow my doctors instructions before and after surgery....... But I believe in raw greens.... Organic if possible. Just my option..... Best to all!

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member bestnester's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Chelsea
    Surgery date
    02/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hendricks
    Last Activity
    05-15-2014 02:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I can see what people are saying about not drinking your calories, BUT I think when you are in need of calories a smoothie is a great way to get in HEALTHY carbs and protein. I have one shake a day, whether it is a pre made drink, or my own smoothie in my VitaMix. I can't eat more than 700-800 calories a day and knowing I am getting in some healthy items like spinach, kale, apple, bananas, nuts in a smoothie, makes me happy. This is REAL life people, healthy people eat fruit and veggies, and yes those are carbs, but they are part of the pyramid we are told to follow from a young age. So, to the original poster, go ahead and ask your surgeon or NUT and go from there. Everyone on here believes in different things, everyone has certain things that work.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    11-20-2022 11:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

This response is AWFUL. Sorry for shouting but this really needs to be repeated LOUDLY! Fruits and veggies are complex carbs NOT simple. Fiber is not the only important component of a juice. Fiber is important however the vitamins and minerals in the juice are already broken down and ready to digest when the fiber is removed. It's immediately ready for your body to reap the benefits without the fiber. Fiber still needs to be eaten outside of the juice, but this is a great supplement for some vitamins. Much better than pills provide. Protein is number one, you are correct about that but as far as your own juice you are completely lost. You say drinking fresh juice is drinking simple carbs but then you recommend eating berries, apples, and pears. This contradicts what you said. So are they not simple carbs to you if you chew them? lololol Get educated before you spread incorrect statements.

Long story short... Cold pressed, fresh squeezed juices are amazing and great for the body. They work! They are satiating for most people as well. A lot of people suffer from malnutrition post op. Juice is an easy great way to get some nutrients for your body. Helps with hair loss, energy, skin, etc... The list goes on