Name
    Noelle
    Last Activity
    01-28-2014 11:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Can't Have VSG Due to Shape of Stomach?

Appointment with surgeon today went well. Here's the takeaways:

-My stomach is in an actual backwards C shape. My esophegus (sp?) comes down and connects to the end of the top of the C. They've only seen this 3-4 times over the course of 500 patients, and I was born this way.
    -Because of that shape and the extreme curvature of my stomach, having a sleeve would make me very prone to complications like blockages and I could be looking at a long slow recovery (as in 6-8 weeks of all liquids only). Then I may still have complications after that.

I no longer think they are crazy or BSing me. I do wonder if there are a few others around who have had really nasty complications because their surgeons went ahead and operated on them with this type or abnormality.

Next up is an appointment with my primary in the morning to discuss what's been going on and the latest and greatest. If he thinks it sounds fishy still, and wants me to get a second opinion, I'll go to someone he recommends for it. There's at least 5 hospitals with bariatric centers within 25 miles of me, so lots of options for other opinions there.

Since my two choices are RNY or lap band at this point, I will choose RNY. My surgeon said I am to immediately go on a pre-op diet that will likely last the next 30-45 days. I was expecting a liquid diet and preparing myself for it, but they want atkins with less fat. Sounds good to me. Yay meat!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm glad you're feeling satisfied with the explanation, and we all know that RNY is a very successful and well-established procedure if that's what you need. My surgeon never even looked at my stomach or oesophagus etc before operation day, so it sounds like your surgeon is cautious and thorough in investigating his patients before surgery - not a bad thing. A second opinion might put your mind at rest about which way to go. Either way it's good news. Keep us posted - fascinating to hear.

Gastric Sleeve Member itsmytime's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Misty
    Surgery date
    02/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-23-2016 11:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Was Thanked 236 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 154 Times
    Blog Entries

There is a girl on another forum I'm on who had some sort of anomaly (she said her stomach anatomy was backwards?) and could not get sleeved either by her surgeon. She finally DID find a surgeon who would sleeve her and she went all the way to Mexico to Dr. Alberto Aceves in Mexicali, Mexico. Apparently, he had experience with doing the VSG on this type of anatomy. He has a top notch reputation. I mean, if I were you, I would also get an RNY if you have only a choice between band and RNY. It might really be better for you in the long run to have an RNY if all the issues you are talking about could happen.
    Here is the link : VSG in Mexico? her name is Redcreamsoda.
    Here is the profile with more info on her surgery experience. You can see she was turned down by her surgeon for VSG because of her stomach being like that and she waited 2 more years before finding a surgeon (Dr. Aceves) who would sleeve her.
    http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/redcreamsoda/
    Reason: my wording was poor

Starting BMI 2/3/2012 - 38
    Goal BMI-24! REACHED and BELOW!! 10/2012 Current BMI 21.0!
    The best goals reached are the ones hardest earned.