08/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. M. Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-21-2017 11:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 94 Times
    Was Thanked 65 Times in 53 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,153 Times

Default Dr. Niebles - MMO - December 2012 (with pics)

I had a mommy makeover with Dr. Niebles on December 8, 2012. I had an extended tummy tuck and a breast lift/augmentation. I had asked for a belt lipectomy based on my shape and fat distribution, to which he agreed as he was marking me up just prior to surgery. Unfortunately, when I awoke it hadn't been done. I had also asked for my arms to be done, but he didn't feel he should do them together. I've since learned others have had this done by him during their MMO, but it wasn't meant to be for me.

Let me start by saying that Dr. Niebles is an incredibly nice and personable man. He and Laura (his assistant) picked my husband and I up from the airport and immediately made us feel welcomed. On the trip to the hotel, he encouraged me to ask all of my questions - that were translated by Laura - and by the time we reached the hotel, I felt like the majority of my questions had been answered. He was attentive before, during and after the surgery; coming to the hotel to check on me each day including a special visit after I had fallen outside on the second day.

When I had initially been talking with Christy (Dr. N's FANTASTIC coordinator), I had sent many pictures of myself, asking if I was still too overweight for the procedure (I weigh ~150). I sent before and after examples of others' belts, just to make sure he and I both knew my expectations. I was assured repeatedly that I was not too overweight and that the comparisons were realistic for me and my body type. I also asked billions of other questions, all of which Dr. N answered.

The surgery itself went quite well. I had conscious sedation and epidural anesthetic, which was very nice to wake up from, compared to general anesthetic. I awoke three times during surgery and felt a little of what they were doing but the anesthesiologist immediately topped things up and I fell back asleep. A few times I woke up (didn't feel anything) and she and I sang songs together (Dr. N has great taste in music) while the work was done.

The scars around the nipples are great. The right implant is still high and the breast is misshapen - you can't really see in the picture - it's flat on the armpit side. The anchor scars are gross, with one not being placed under the breast, and both thick and ragged. I'm disgusted with the stomach - I have a flap that goes over the incision and I can grab skin on the incision line by my hips. There wasn't enough skin pulled down prior to making the belly button. My pubis is full and sticks out and the skin to the left side wasn't pulled tight enough and so I “lean” to the centre and am crooked in belly button, lower stomach and pubis.

I have waited 7 months to post this review and pictures, in the hopes some of the results would change. Unfortunately they have not. Dr. N has agreed to repair any areas of concern, when he completes my arm reduction. I wonder, however, if I should give the opportunity for more bad sutures and misshapen, misplaced breasts to be repeated. As well, I worry about the scars that might be left from getting my arms done – I understand they can be bad scars regardless, so how much worse could they be if not “tightly” done. Do I go and hope for the best, risking more screw ups and lord knows what kind of scars from the arms (can anyone tell me what they're like in a "normal" surgery), or do I chalk it up to experience, leave things alone and go to someone else for my arms?

While I paid $6500 for these two procedures, I would encourage you to contact Christy (msvetrn) for procedure prices specific to you and your needs. I have seen some work by Dr. N that is good. I'm not sure why mine went bad. Would I recommend him for others? I just don't know. Based on my results - no. Based on some others' results - maybe. Each person needs to evaluate things on their own and make the decision they feel is right for them.

[I stand corrected (thanks Christy). I misunderstood a couple of posts and thought Dr. Niebles does arms with MMO. That is NOT the case. My apology for misinformation.]

SMILE!! It makes people wonder what you're up to!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Twyla
    Surgery date
    08/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. M. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 94 Times

Default Re: Dr. Niebles - MMO - December 2012 (with pics)

Gastric Sleeve Member Anissa Christine's Avatar
    Name
    Anissa
    Surgery date
    08/08/2012
    Surgeon
    Peterson, Richard M.
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 265 Times in 247 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 89 Times
    Blog Entries

First of all, thank you for sharing your story and pics. I am considering a MMO once I get to goal weight.

I see that your goal weight is 135. Is there a specific reason or reasons you did not wait until you got to goal to have the procedure done?

I have consulted 2 plastic surgeons and both of them warned me against having it done before I have reached and maintained goal weight for 3 months minimum. They said having it done before reaching goal, while it will give you a firm tummy, if you lose more weight you could potentially lose the firmness.

I can see in your pics what you concern is regarding the flap. My suggestion would be to get to goal and then have it corrected/redone. I think the scars look good compared to others I have seen.

There are a few women who belong to my local support group who have had the arm lift...and I'm not going to lie the scars are deep and bad. I will not be getting an arm lift.

I hope your concerns and needs are addressed in a way that you are satisfied.

Best wishes!!

Heaviest: 387 pounds (1999)
    Weight last appointment prior to surgery: 265 (6/29/12)
    Weight beginning of two-week full liquid/high protein diet: 265 (7/25/12)
    Weight day of surgery (8/8/12): 253.2
    ONEDERLAND: 12/10/12: 198
    100 pounds lost 7/3/13
    Reached goal weight of 160 pounds on 9/9/13 (1 year, 1 month, and 1 day post-op)

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Twyla
    Surgery date
    08/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. M. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 94 Times

GREAT QUESTION!! My goal weight was set by me, not a doctor. When I saw my family physician, he advised (at 152 lbs) that I was within 5 lbs of goal. Dr. Niebles also felt I was close to goal and the surgery would go well. I've changed my goal weight to 145 - to accurately reflect what my doctor says it should be.

ALSO: I stand corrected (thanks Christy). I misunderstood a couple of posts and thought Dr. Niebles does arms with MMO. That is NOT the case. My apology for misinformation.

Gastric Sleeve Member ElleMarie's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Ortiz
    Last Activity
    09-25-2013 10:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 202 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 46 Times

Twyla, I am surprised your tummy isn't flatter, mine is super flat. Your breast look AMAZING!! I like mine, but could have liked them more if I would have listened to him. I asked him to let mine sag just a wee bit and they are exactly what I asked for, I didn't want them super tight because of my age, but if I could do it again I would have followed his advice and had them tighter. The scars under the breast will continue to get lighter and may not even need to be retouched, I would at least wait a year out before having them evaluated. Are you using the gel on all your scars? It does help to keep them softer and speed up the healing.

I would NOT want to have had another procedure when I had my MMO, I think that the tummy, breast and lipo was enough I would like to go back at some point and have my thighs done but no time too soon. I think our bodies go through enough shock from the MMO without adding more surgery to it. I hope that over all you are happy because you really do look good, I can see where you would want the incision line touched up from the TT, it's too bad they can't have a crystal ball and know up front how each of us would heal!! LOL They would know then exactly where to make things tighter. I have one small area in my TT incision that puckers a wee bit, BUT with clothes on you can NOT see it so I really don't care enough to make it worth a fix.
    God gave us people to love and things to use, not things to love and people to use.

Visit my blog at: http://laurieunapologetically.blogspot.com/

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Banned
    Name
    Christy
    Surgery date
    09/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-16-2014 05:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 645 Times
    Was Thanked 491 Times in 418 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 493 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tuliptwy View Post
    GREAT QUESTION!! My goal weight was set by me, not a doctor. When I saw my family physician, he advised (at 152 lbs) that I was within 5 lbs of goal. Dr. Niebles also felt I was close to goal and the surgery would go well. I've changed my goal weight to 145 - to accurately reflect what my doctor says it should be.

ALSO: I stand corrected (thanks Christy). I misunderstood a couple of posts and thought Dr. Niebles does arms with MMO. That is NOT the case. My apology for misinformation.
    There ARE some patients who can have the MMO and arms at the same time if the TT is a standard incision with not much excess skin and the breasts less extensive. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. That goes for healing results, skin elasticity, etc. One should not go into a Plastic's procedure believing he or she is going to "look like that picture" or "that person". You were only 5 pounds heavier than I was when I had my tummy tuck, so you were NOT too fat to have the surgery. Looking at your Before pics, I see your excess skin was completely different than mine. Perhaps you had been overweight way longer than me. Perhaps your muscles were different. Perhaps you had lipo which changes everything...I had no lipo, I did not have a lot of excess skin. I had been thin my whole life except for about 15 years...there are just so many variables. Smoking, drinking, nutrition, genetics...the list goes on and on. I, by no means, am trying to minimize your dissatisfaction. I just want other people to realize that NO plastics procedure result is perfect. I have a little "dog ear" on one side of my TT incision. One of my nipples is a little off center...but it was BEFORE the surgery. I do admit, "I" think my arms are close to perfect, though! But, someone else may not think so.
    On behalf of Dr. Niebles, though, as you mentioned, he did offer to redo anything you want done. Good luck with your decision!

11. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/26/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sowemimo
    Last Activity
    01-10-2014 06:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 166 Times in 153 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry! Thank you so much for sharing. I hope things get better.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member bergamini's Avatar
    Name
    John
    Surgery date
    11/30/2012
    Surgeon
    Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    05-20-2020 10:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 174 Times
    Was Thanked 147 Times in 122 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 122 Times
    Blog Entries

I totally understand and validate your concerns. OTOH, sometimes we are our own worst critic. The improvement in the before and after is remarkable, you do look good. Maybe with a revision you will get where you want to be, but I don't think you are too far off. I see a ton of improvement and I hope you get where you want to go.

15. Said thanks: