Surgeon
    Dr. Eckstein
    Last Activity
    03-25-2014 11:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 47 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Liquid Protein... Really Protein??????

I am a little over a month post op and as most of us encounter I'm have a hard time getting in all my protein. I have read a many blogs about "Liquid Protein" shots that are sold at Walmart, and other superstores. So last week i spent the $15 for (6) bottles of 3.8oz watermelon flavored liquid that boost having 42G of Protein. The name is New Whey liquid Protein. Tried it that day ( a week ago today) and immediately got sick. Maybe got 3 sips and i almost lost it in the car.

So fast forward to today, i have 5 of these tubes sitting in my fridge and i decoded maybe i can dilute it enough to where i dont even taste it. i get a HUGE Flannigans green cup ( you know the big cups) fill it up and empty HALF of the 3.8 oz tube and i even added some lemon juice. I got about 4 sips and i get the same feeling. WHAT GIVES.. its protein right??

Well i deiced to cross reference the ingredients of these "liquid protein" to my Whey powder shake (maybe i should have done this before i bought it, but hindsight is 20/20).

WHey Powder protein shakes only contain ( as far as Protein blends) whey protein isolate and Hydrolyzed Whey protein - and this is what the DR suggest us using, right?

Well these Liquid proteins are a mixture, its not just WHEY protein. It contains.. Water, Complete Proteing Matrix (NWN Proprietary Blend of Collagen Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate, and Casien Protein Isolate. Is also has a whole bunch of other stuff i cant even pronounce.

My question.... Has anyone ever gotten these liquid protein cleared by their DR? I have seen it mentioned so many times here i thought it would be a great easy fix, but it makes me so sick. Is this stuff even good for us sleevers? The shakes dont get me sick like this thing did, im just sick of drinking them, so that leads me to believe the "proprietary" ingredient the liquid stuff has may be no good??

Let me know if anyone has had success or if i just picked up the wrong one.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Rothchild
    Said "Thanks" 181 Times
    Was Thanked 530 Times in 430 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12,041 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Liquid Protein... Really Protein??????

Honestly I dont believe that any of those "quick" fix things that I have seen on here are very good for anyone. All the nasty things that are added to a lot of the "weight loss" stuff is so bad for us that I am positive that is why I used those things for so many years and only gained weight. What kinds of issues are you having in getting in your protein is it that you just dont feel like shakes anymore or that you cant get them down I know you said something about being tired of them and I totally get that how long do you still have to do them?
    When I was doing my NUT class they told us if we had issues with getting protein in use dry powdered milk to things you eat and drink it adds 8 grams per serving and it is real stuff not all that chemical stuff. I hope you can find something other than those things and I strongly urge you to take them back where you bought them and tell them this makes you so sick and get a refund because they will give it to you. Best wishes
    "Its Not Hard Its Just New!"
    Transforming from caterpillar to butterfly to phoenix!

Surgery date
    04/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Eckstein
    Last Activity
    03-25-2014 11:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 47 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks Alison, I agree with you 100 %. Right now i cant stomach the powder shakes anymore, but i am really good about eating things high in protein (eggs, turkey meat, soy milk etc) i guess i am just worried its not enough. I recent got hooked on the Greek frozen yogurt, yoplait makes them with about 100 cals and i think 9 grams of protein - first thing "semi sweet" i actually loved since the surgery. I work in marketing, so i should no better than to believe the name of a product, WHEY liquid protein, yea right....

5. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    04-18-2015 09:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 419 Times in 405 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,435 Times
    Blog Entries

Yes, I second the vote about adding the powdered milk into things to help. You might even be able to add it into the things like the Unjury chicken broth to give it a kick. Or I would try things like the baby food meats if you still on a soft type diet. Low/non-fat cottage cheese, and something I plan to use is the one 'treat' I enjoyed with Atkins. Some low-fat ricotta cheese, a packet or two of artificial sweetener and then then a touch of powdered cocoa. I am allergic to chocolate, so I would substitute something like almond extract. Add in some more powdered milk if you need to (I dont have any ricotta to look on the label for protein content) and then whip it up in your food processor. A soft & satisfying healthy 'mousse' that is a great treat!

Surgery date
    10/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    04-18-2015 09:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 419 Times in 405 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,435 Times
    Blog Entries

Oh, one more thing, look up where they get collage protein from, as well as what casien is. That would cure me right there, lol!

Not to mention, I can't imagine living life drinking them, lol.

One more suggestion, since I just saw your reply about the lunch meat, I like to put low-fat cream cheese inside and roll them up, makes a great snack. And if you can tolerate it, put a spear of asparagus inside as well! I prefer steamed asparagus, since there is so much sodium in the canned or pickled variety.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member cbridges1962's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Ata Ahmad
    Last Activity
    02-06-2017 03:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 180 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 35 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,844 Times
    Blog Entries

I bought exactly what you did the first two weeks out. They are nasty but I got them down. Come to find out these are made from cow collagen, protein, or something like that. The don't absorb through the gut. I have 8 left that are still in my fridge. However, they do have a good supply of other nutrients that are good for you. I still choose not to drink them, ughhh.

I buy the "Super Advanced Whey Protein" from Walmart, chocolate. I mix 1 scoop with my flavored water and 1/3 banana and 5 ice cube, then blend. To me it tastes like ice cream. I guess I've been drinking them so long they taste awesome now.

324** 01.01.13 HIGHEST WEIGHT
    312** 04.01.13 DAY OF PRE-OP
    285**05.08.13 DAY OF SURGERY
    266**06.05.13 MONTH 1
    247**07.08.13 MONTH 2
    239**08.08.13 MONTH 3 TTL LOSS 85
    234**09.08.13 MONTH 4 TTL LOSS 90
    229***10.08.13 MONTH 5 TTL LOSS 95
    231***11.08.13 MONTH 6
    234.5***12.12.13 MONTH 7 (RESTARTING LOW CARB LIFESTYLE)
    ***myfitnesspal.com name: cindy_324_160***

Name
    Tanya
    Surgery date
    08/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Diaz
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 46 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,986 Times
    Blog Entries

I did some research on these "shots" and it seems like a product called "Yes Whey" and not "New Whey" is the whey to go!

Yes Whey™ is the first and only to use 100% pure whey protein -- and nothing but whey protein.

Yes Whey was designed to help consumers feel at ease about the quality of protein they consume. While other companies boldly use the word 'whey' in their brands, Yes Whey is the first ready-to-drink protein shot made exclusively from whey protein. This guarantees that the protein going into your body has a PDCAAS* of 100, the highest quality rating a protein can receive. You can purchase it on Bariatric Advantage website. I will be placing an order of some soon especially good to have during my post op phase. Hope this helps!

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Dandyjaylee's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgeon
    Dr Lopez
    Last Activity
    09-30-2014 10:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

That's some good info will take a look.....thanks for sharing