Mr Alberic Fiennes
    Last Activity
    04-09-2012 05:12 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default 5 Days post op

Hi all,

well what can I report? I am 5 days post op. How's it coming along you may ask? Well today has been the first day I have felt half human.... The thing with me is not vomit, not nausea, it's the trapped wind after the operation due to the incisions. I had to have a liver retractor and therefore the hole in my chest was slightly bigger. Now I did 18 days on the pre op diet perfectly but due to me having a high BMI of over 50 my liver was still slightly large but my surgeon still did everything well. For those struggling to keep to the pre op diet, just stick to it. It will be worth it in the end and don't cheat, they will know and if they can't get a clear view safely they will just sew you up again!

I had 2 nights in hospital and the surgeon said my operation went perfectly, he couldn't have wished for better. I am slowly on the mend. I think it's going to be a fairly gruelling journey ahead. I hate the bloated, windy feeling and milky warm drinks go down much easier than cold water. Water seems to hurt going past the hole in my chest.

Since I have been out I have had small amounts of thin soup, low fat smooth yogurt, thin custard and low sugar jelly. I also took my time over a skinny latte today and I drank 2/3rds of it!

Every day is a little easier. I am taking Rennie and peppermint tea for the griping wind in my chest and shoulder and I keep moving. If anyone has any advice on how to disperse this horrid wind it would be greatly received.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Frankie
    Surgery date
    06/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Webber, Detroit
    Last Activity
    07-25-2011 05:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Default Re: 5 Days post op

I am 6 days post-op. I am not having wind issues so I can't help you there - sorry. How is your pain level? I am still having quite a bit of pain but it is around the incision areas. I also have pain when I drink liquids. Warm goes down better and I NEVER have a cold beverage - learned the hard way on that one. LOL I also have a lot of diarrhea. Do you have this problem or should I be calling my doctor?

My liver was large as well. In fact, my doc said on the day of surgery that mine was the largest he did that day (and I was the smallest patient - by 200 pounds). I did the preop diet 2 extra weeks because I knew my liver was enlarged due to liver disease. I am glad he was still able to do the surgery.

Best of luck in your recovery.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/14/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-15-2013 10:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 78 Times in 59 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 176 Times

Try a heating for the pain.

Name
    Holly
    Surgery date
    06/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Thomas White
    Last Activity
    04-09-2012 02:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 22 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Heating Pad and Gas X as well as walking everywhere helps alot. As for the liquid BM's I called about that they said what goes in liquid comes out liquid. But it you buy some unflavored "knox" gelatine and mix a tablespoon or some up in a hot liquid, in a small enough amount you can drink it before it cools it helps alot. I get that we are drinking liquid and should expect it but come on if we let it go till we can have solid food again our butts are going to be pretty darn raw ....TMI i know but just saying!