Dr. Clark Warden
    Last Activity
    10-08-2013 03:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Default The Dirty Ugly Truth

Ok sleevers out there........ I am wondering the dirty ugly truth.... I know that my doctor has already prepared me for surgery, but I am wanting to know, exactly how bad is it after surgery? Everyone says it feels like hell and you want to kick your own a$$ for doing it, but is it true? I know the nurse told me I might go home the same day..... is that true? Any help would be appreciated. Also did anyone have any problems with their voice going out when they had the surgery? Just kind of wanting to cover all the bases.

Thanks

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    12/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Nick Nicholson
    Last Activity
    01-25-2018 04:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Dirty Ugly Truth

I never second-guessed it or regreted it. It's the best thing I have ever done for myself. I went home about 24 hours after surgery. It was NOT bad. The second day after surgery was worse, but manageable w/pain med. And I don't mind that I was more comfortable in a recliner (for four weeks) than the bed. The pain and discomfort was no big deal. I haven't felt this good in over 15 years. Thank God for bariatric surgery!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member rachan1000's Avatar
    Name
    Rachan
    Surgery date
    04/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Thien K. Nguyen
    Last Activity
    03-28-2016 03:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

My voice did not go out but it does suck, you are a whole lot better after a week. I tell people it was like the worlds worst hangover. I went to work a week later and was perfectly fine. This will not be easy. I had a hard time accepting that this is my life forever but I am only a month out and feel great. Good luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member monet1974's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Steven Webb
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

I was sleeved 6 weeks ago, and I have a low tolerance for pain. But I was in more pain back when I had the band in 2008. I was admitted on Friday, and not discharged until Monday but only because of the barium test. The band left so damage to my stomach, but no pain medicine after the day of surgery. My major thing was my taste buds have drastically changed and my energy level was very low for the first four weeks after surgery. That's my experience, no complaints at this time.

Gastric Sleeve Member Socaldixiegal's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    01-04-2017 01:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 177 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I felt pretty good afterwards all things considered. I didn't think it was that painful. Sore definitely and difficult getting in/out of bed. Gas pains were bad, but walking really helped. I have a high pain tolerance though. The difficulty is in the few weeks afterwards when it feels like work to get in the fluids. There's a bit of a learning curve when you begin eating and progressing to regular food again.

I don't regret it at all. And tend to have a more positive outlook on life overall so I didn't face the challenges from a negative aspect. I think that's huge.

Starting weight for lap-band = 252
    miserable 5 years later
    Starting weight for VSG = 229
    Pre-op weight = 219

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Julie
    Surgery date
    05/07/2013
    Last Activity
    07-24-2013 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I was def asking myself why did injust do that? My nausea was horrendous. Dry heaved for over 12 hours. And when I first woke up the pain/pressure was like nothing I had ever felt. That was due to the built up gas from the procedure. All i I had to do was stand up and walk around to get the gas to start moving. No one warned me about the nausea so it really freaked me out. I was so scared my sleeve would rip about from it or something awful. But apparently it's a pretty common side effect from the surgery. I was suggest making sure you will be on anti nausea medicine. Although for me, it didn't help.

I'm only a week out and I haven't looked back! The regret only lasted that first day. I was home the day after and sleeping on my stomach by that night. Seriously it's just that first day that is hell. I'm doing great now! I am so happy I did it! And I really think you will be too!

Surgery date
    03/22/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lyass
    Last Activity
    09-08-2015 02:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 104 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,803 Times

I had no pain, no nausea and felt great the first couple days. Then I think I over did it and wore myself out. I was sleeved at 7:30am on 3/22 and by 11:30am I was begging to go home. No bueno! I wasn't getting out of there until I'd stayed a full 23 hours. Longest night in creation if you ask me. I couldn't sleep and was bored out of my mind.

Most importantly: WHEN THE NURSES TELL YOU TO GET UP AND WALK, DO IT!!! IT HELPS WITH THE GAS Best of luck

1 month post op 04/22/2013 - 232
    6 month post op 09/22/2013 - 176
    ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!! 03/22/2014 - 151

Gastric Sleeve Member Honey Bee's Avatar
    Name
    Jenny
    Surgery date
    02/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Zuccala
    Last Activity
    10-26-2015 10:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 36 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 260 Times
    Blog Entries

I had minimal pain, was severely tired for a week, gas for a few days...none of that a big deal.... here I am 2 1/2 months later down 32 pounds and what I am struggling with is just how little food I can eat. I can split a lean cuisine with my son for dinner, me having only 1/3 of it! A lean cuisine!! You know how little they are. Prior to surgery if I had one of them for lunch I was wishing I could have second if not a third. Crazy. That is a very hard thing to get used too. 4 bites of food and full. So I am working on that.... Do I regret having surgery? Absolutely NOT! I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Gastric Sleeve Member karensuue's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 843 Times

piece of cake for me,, the first 2 days i slept my pain off,, pain meaning it was like doing 1000 situps, 3rd day i was ready to dance a jig.. all i wanted after surgery was ice...and anything cold..
    KAREN

Gastric Sleeve Member Terrybellwith4kids's Avatar
    Name
    Terry
    Surgery date
    04/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr mcphail
    Last Activity
    07-10-2013 06:28 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 135 Times

When I first woke up from surgery I was in pain but when I got that pain under control it was smooth sailing from there the worst part was I couldn't drink water for 24 hrs after surgery but I made it!!!! And maybe the liquid diet but it will go by fast!!! I have never gotten sick or nauseated hope this helps

Name
    Wanda ( B.K.A) Wandy
    Surgery date
    03/17/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-17-2016 08:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

No pain. Nothing at all. Just very tired for the first 3 days. Would do it over again. Not everyone is the same. Good luck

Gastric Sleeve Member Kymmie262003's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mann
    Last Activity
    12-11-2013 08:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

I was in a lot of pain right after surgery and that's because I went from the Lapand to the Sleeve. I also had pain on my right side because of my lapband and stomach coming out but the pain meds works. I also had to get readmitted to the hospital twice for dehydration. I'm now 5 weeks out and doing much better just having issues with getting all of my fluids in. Do I regret it no, I regret the lapband but not the sleeve. The worst part to me was sipping sipping sipping..lol I didn't have the horrible gas pains and I walked right away which helped a lot.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Bagloo
    Last Activity
    04-08-2016 09:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts

To be honest I was stoked to have it done. But the minute they wheeled me out of the prep area and down the halls i was like "F#%&, what did i get myself into?" Then getting into the ER and onto the table it started to really hit me that this was it, no turning back. I started to talk to them about the music playing, "SUBLIME" and next thing I know im getting slapped around and my name called to wake up. I was hurting, no lie, it hurt like hell. Pain meds sucked. My wife and mother were like "you got wheeled in, bitching and moaning, slept, bitched some more, pressed the pain med thing hundreds of times and went back to sleep!" LOL I only remember getting up around 8pm putting the Mets game on and lying there pretty much on and of from sleep till about 4am. The pain from the gas they pump in you is uncomfortable, the burning from just moving the slightest bit sucks a$$. The follwing day after getting no sleep cause of the nurses laughing like they were at a comedy club and an unbeareably warm room the pain slowly went away from the gas, the pain from the wound was more tolerable until the "drink test". Walking around became easier that day and once i got ice chips and broth to drink it was like hitting the jackpot LOL.

Now my experience might not be what you experience. I can't tolerate pain at all so things felt worse then im sure they are with others.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Bagloo
    Last Activity
    04-08-2016 09:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts

oh and when i got home at 7pm the nigiht after surgery i passed out immediately, woke up around 11pm in so much pain from teh wound and back cause hospital beds really suck. I kept saying to myself, "what did i do to myself?" But I do not regret it one bit. I was down 20lbs in 10 days!

Gastric Sleeve Member MomMaestra's Avatar
    Name
    Karen.
    Surgery date
    04/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    02-22-2014 10:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

The very worst part would be IF you have gas pains... they feel like a knife is going into your shoulder or back. The pain from the surgery is minimal and most people are off pain meds at day 2 or 3. getting in your protein and water is the kicker around day 3 but by 10 days you are loving life again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast