08/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. James Foote
    Last Activity
    07-10-2013 03:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default "Uh...Hi...um...(shuffles feet) My name is Hecklers...and....uh...I am getting a sleeve in about 2 months..."

First time here. I am scheduled for a sleeve on August 17. I guess I have no idea what to expect in terms of weightloss, changes in my friends, diet, digestion, whatever. My current weight is 419 lbs and my goal is probably right around 210 - 220. I am a father of two (11 year old boy and 4 year old girl) and am married.

I am worried about the all liquid diet - I start it on August 3. Two weeks pre-op and the 4 - 6 weeks post op. How was that time period for everyone? How did you handle awkward social situations with nosy extended family wanting to know why you weren't eating? How did you handle food at home? I am principally the cook in my home - I have been preparing myself to prepare meals without eating any of the meal - IT'S HARD!

Anyhow - any advice you want to throw my way would be very much appreciated. I am eager to lose weight and get my life back. Also would be interested in any info on side-effects of being on the liquid diet and side effects post-op; both short term and long term.

Thanks!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    chris
    Surgery date
    06/15/2011
    Surgeon
    zorn
    Last Activity
    07-27-2011 01:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Re: "Uh...Hi...um...(shuffles feet) My name is Hecklers...and....uh...I am getting a sleeve in about 2 months..."

hey buddy. i just joined this too. but i had my surgery 5 days ago. so i can't tell you much as in long term. i didn't do the 2 week preop liquid diet as i was scheduled in october but they called me for a cancelation so i was happy not to wait as long. i'm 6'4 was 400lbs im now down to 373 within the first 5 days but thats also im only on liquids right now and will be until i see my doc this thursday. as far as friends go and such best way to put it is you are doing it for you not them. now i'm young only 22 and i know grown ups friends are differnt lol but i had some friends that were like you don't need that and all i said thank you but my life.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/01/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michael King
    Last Activity
    04-05-2013 10:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 47 Times

Default Re: "Uh...Hi...um...(shuffles feet) My name is Hecklers...and....uh...I am getting a sleeve in about 2 months..."

Hi,

I did two weeks pre-op, all liquid, too. Keep yourself busy!!! Sugar free popsicles helped A LOT!! The EAS Lite protein shakes (Wal-mart) helped, too! Just watch the sugar and carbs. The nurse had told me if you just HAVE to eat something, eat a few slices of low-fat deli meat, thinly sliced. I lost 24 lbs. during that time.

I was sleeved on June 1, stayed overnight in the hospital. Ask for pain medicine...don't try and ride it out. The pain will win! It's not horrible, just more of a discomfort. Getting out of bed was rough, but you need to get up and walk as much as you can to work the gas out. THAT will cause some pain if it doesn't get out! Expect loose bowels after surgery. Nothing you can't control though.

After the surgery you're not going to be hungry and really could care less about food. That's my experience so far. I am now on thick soups, sugar free pudding. I'll stay on this until July 7. Every doctor is different though on what is allowed for patients. Listen and FOLLOW what he recommends. he's had success with other patients and he'll have success with you, too, as long as you follow what he says.

I am thrilled I did it. I know I still have a long road ahead of me, but the feelings of hopelessness are gone!! I know this will work and I'm dedicated to make it work!!

Stay focused! The two weeks are not easy, but they're doable and are so worth it when your surgery goes a lot smoother!
    Good luck!
    Cindy