Surgeon
    FMC- Florida
    Last Activity
    08-04-2018 12:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sleever parents of little kids-what did you tell your kid about the surgery?

Quote Originally Posted by brooklyn_mom View Post
    Hey everyone, thanks for your advice! I am really glad I told my little kid the truth. I did not say the word "surgery" but I told her I needed to go to the doctor and he was going to help fix my belly. And I would stay overnight but I would see her soon, and Mommy loves her. And I reassured her that Papa was going to be there and everything else was normal in her life. She is only 4 so I didn't want her seeing me in the hospital, so he didn't bring her.
    I was gone 2 nights 2 1/2 days, my husband said was rough for her but overall she did fine. She cried for me a bit. But soon enough I am home and she understands I have "boo-boos" on my belly and she can't jump on me, and I can't pick her up right now. She is very happy I am home, she wishes I felt better but I told her I am getting better. She understands the concept of boo-boos since she has had a knee scrape recently. Anyways, I am glad I explained the truth (even in a limited way.) She already wants to drink smoothies with me (so i make her a fruit one before making my high protein one.)
    This thread has already helped me! I have 2 DDs--4 (turning 5 right before I go in for surgery) & 9--and my 9 year old is aleady questioning why I am always on THIS site so it wont take her long to figure out I'm having surgery. Guess I could tell her but I don' want her to worry for the next 5.5 months (YAY! so close yet so far!)

Hope you are enjoying sleeved life....would love to hear an update.
    Highest Weight- 315lbs- Nov 2012
    Each day is an opportunity to be greater than I ever imagined possible!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Mommagiraffe's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Rachel
    Surgeon
    Dr Mandlebaum
    Last Activity
    07-07-2013 03:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default Re: Sleever parents of little kids-what did you tell your kid about the surgery?

My kids are 6 and 8, and I have always been very honest with them about anything they ask (within appropriateness, of course). They know that I have been seeing a weight loss dr, and a dietitian, and they know that mommy has to watch her carbs and eat more protein. My 6 year old loves to learn about how healthy/unhealthy foods are, and was already seeking out high-fiber foods, thanks to her winding up in the hospital last fall with an impacted bowel. As I am right at my 6 months of required medical weight loss, and have decided that I am going to get sleeved, I did talk to my kids about it. My dr told me to expect a 3-4 month process to get to surgery from here, and I want them to have ample time to process the info, ask any questions, and so on. They also have to be ready to expect the "after"...me recovering, not being able to eat much, being on liquids, ect.

The concept of surgery has never scared my kids...my son knew that he was born via c-section, and wasn't afraid when I had his sister the same way. He just knew I was going to have a cut on my belly, and that he was going to have a baby sister. Over the next 4 years I had two more surgeries, and one of their close friends has recently had several surgeries after a car accident, so they know what to expect generally. They are excited to have a 'skinny mommy' (even though my little butt kisser of a dd tells me I am skinny now lol!), and that I will feel better and be healthy.