Surgeon
    Dr quinones
    Last Activity
    03-22-2016 09:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Low BMI but desperately seeking surgery

I've struggled with yo yo dieting my entire adult life, and have done the research and have decided on a sleeve by dr. Alvarez. The problem is that my current BMI is low (27.5). Now before you all start judging, this procedure will finally help me reach and Maintain a healthy weight that I have been unable to achieve on my own. Can anyone tell me who's had the surgery by Dr. Alvarez how they weigh you? Naked? In a gown? I've heard of people putting weights in their pockets, I don't want to be deceitful like that, but I have to have this surgery, and just really don't want to gain the 20 lbs they tell me I need to.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/27/2012
    Last Activity
    01-07-2014 09:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 46 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Low BMI but desperately seeking surgery

No judging. but some strength training will shape your body and that often looks better:-) This is a serious procedure and you can die. is that worth it?

highest weight 2010;317 start weightloss on my own in may 2011:297 start preop diet october 2012:207.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Terrybellwith4kids's Avatar
    Name
    Terry
    Surgery date
    04/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr mcphail
    Last Activity
    07-10-2013 06:28 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 135 Times

The surgery is not an easy way out!!! It seems like if you went on a diet first try the preop diet and see if you can take that before you put money on surgery

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Zapata
    Last Activity
    12-05-2013 03:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries

Will Alvarez do surgery on that low of a BMI patient? I thought the cutoff for most docs was a 30-31 BMI?

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member slim_again's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Quinones
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I was bmi 31 and Dr Quinones was happy to do the surgery. i've lost 40 lbs since Christmas and I can see how this is going to be a permanent thing for me, no more yoyo dieting etc. I do work out regularly and keep active and I do stick to a ketogenic diet 90% of the time. you just have to be ready to commit to eating healthier permanently and learn where the sugars are in your foods ie yogurt is as bad as soda. Dr Quinones taught Dr A the procedure and if you compare their medical careers, you'll find Dr Q has been chief of surgery for 3 years and limits the amount of patients he'll do in a day. Not all doctors do this, the money is too tempting. I think if you contact their cooridinators you'll find out who will take you. Best of luck!
    Dr. Sergio Quinones - Dr. Sergio Quinones <--that's the website I went through

Ellen Degeneres: "You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is."

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-01-2017 08:07 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

I really wouldn't go through all of the things that come with this surgery for 20 lbs. There are many better ways to lose that weight rather than surgery. I'm 6 weeks out and still get annoyed that I had to have this surgery and my BMI was over 50. Eating is never easy. If you really feel you need intervention, have you thought of the inter-gastric balloon? They go down your throat and put this balloon inside your stomach to fill it up so you can't eat as much food. Much easier procedure and totally reversible. You'll get the restriction without all the side effects that come with this surgery. Many of us lost 20lbs just with the liquid diet. You'll have to be on a liquid diet before and after the surgery anyway, so why don't you try that for a few weeks? Or eat all natural whole foods, small meals 6 times a day? It works! PM me if you'd like to chat more. I have many ideas for you. Trust me, you really do NOT want to go through all this!

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member mhardester62's Avatar
    Name
    mary
    Surgery date
    06/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sofranski
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 766 Times

I have to say 20 lbs is not much weight to lose, we all have our own crosses to bear , but it is major surgery and thousands of $$$$$ how about talking to your primary care doctor and changing your diet, I have to agree with all the other posts and I would have to wonder about the ethics of a Doctor who would preform this on a person with your BMI, my BMI is 36 and I have other problems because of it, but if I did not have HBP, High triglycrides (sp?) my doctor would not even do the surgery, so that is really something to think very hard about, good luck to you

15. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/26/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sowemimo
    Last Activity
    01-10-2014 06:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 166 Times in 153 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

I have to agree with every other person who commented. I had the surgery because I needed to lose 130 pounds. I had high blood pressure and couldn't do it on my own. It's not an easy way out like so many people think it is, its a last resort. It's not easy, I cried for 2 months straight. Join a gym, watch your fat and carbs intake and you will lose those 20 pounds in no time! Best of luck to you!

Rose

17. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    06/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr quinones
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times

Thank you all for your kind and well intentioned words. A few comments: I'm looking to lose 35 lbs, not 20, but in order to qualify for the surgery, I have to GAIN 20 which I would rather avoid. I did research the balloon, it is temporary and I am looking for a permanent solution. If I thought the gym, or meeting with my Dr. and devising a diet would work THIS time, I would do it in a second. I've done everything short of surgery, and just cannot stay motivated. I do not want to spend the next 40 years being unhappy with my chubby self in a skinny world. I will gain the 20 if I have to in order to reach my goal weight of 125 post surgery. It just seems silly to do that when the end result will be the same. Why is it MORE dangerous for me at 160 than if I were 180?

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Jen
    Surgery date
    05/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Jon Armstrong
    Last Activity
    04-06-2015 05:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 331 Times
    Was Thanked 252 Times in 241 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,922 Times
    Blog Entries

I really think you would be better off spending your money on consulting a dietitian and getting professional help in changing your diet and lifestyle. You have to change your diet and lifestyle with the sleeve anyway - so why run the risk of dying by having the sleeve for something you're going to be doing either way. I know that you don't want any negativity, nobody does, however this smacks of a quick fix for vanity rather than health. If I'm wrong - apologies, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm right.
    Use your energy in a positive way rather than trying to rort the system to get an operation. You seem like a determined girl and more than likely will achieve any goal you set yourself. Set a healthy one and reap the rewards.
    Highest weight ever - 108kgs, Surgery weight -101kgs, Goal weight - 65kgs

21. Said thanks:

Banned
    Name
    Christy
    Surgery date
    09/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-16-2014 05:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 645 Times
    Was Thanked 491 Times in 418 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 493 Times
    Blog Entries

Yes--she didnt say she wanted to only ose 20 pounds. She wants to lose about 40 pounds and KEEP IT OFF once and for all. I dont think any doctor in Mexico is going to weigh you when you get there if they have a Medical History on file with your current weight and agree to do the surgery at your current weight. I absolutely understand why you want the surgery. For someone to tell you "this is a serious procedure and you can die" is ludicrous - IN MY OPINION. Where would that leave the rest of us who have had or are considering having the surgery???? It is no more dangerous for someone wanting or needing to lose 40 pounds than it is for someone wanting or needing to lose 130 pounds and everyone in between. YOYO dieting does more harm to the body than being 130 pounds overweight consistently. I say go for it and free yourself from the mental anguish you ahve suffered with for your entire adult life if you can find a doctor who will do the surgery.

23. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    06/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr quinones
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times

Thank you Christy!

25. Said thanks:

Banned
    Name
    Christy
    Surgery date
    09/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-16-2014 05:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 645 Times
    Was Thanked 491 Times in 418 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 493 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsgirl View Post
    Thank you Christy!
    I sent you a Private message!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-01-2017 08:07 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

Sorry, I don't know where I got 20 lbs. But I still really don't think you will be happy after getting this surgery. It is hard and you still have to stay motivated afterwards. Have you thought about lipo? The cost is about the same and it is permanent. Instead of shrinking the fat cells from losing weight, it permanently removes the fat cells. It's a great option for people who don't have a lot to lose. You can get it more than once to contour your body the way you want it. Recovery is a lot easier too!

After having gone through the sleeve surgery, I just can't recommend it to people who have less than 100 lbs to lose. It's really an extreme option. I still find myself regretting it at times. But for me it was something I HAD to do to live. And there is no guarantee you will lose all you want to either. I've been stuck over 3 weeks not losing anything and I have been trying hard to eat only what I am supposed to! Apparently there is a misconception that you can eat whatever you want to, just not as much, and still lose weight. I'm just trying to save you from being very disappointed later.

I do know how you feel about the needing to gain 20 to qualify though. When I was 80 lbs overweight, weight loss surgeries were new and you had to be at least 100 lbs overweight to qualify. I was mad because I wanted to do surgery at that time! I wonder now if I had done it then, what my life would be like now. But then I think, maybe I would be thin, but dealing with all the awful side effects that came with the earlier surgeries.

If you still want to go through with it, it is your body and completely your decision. I really don't think Dr. A would disqualify you because of weight. He wants everyone to have the surgery that wants it. We were never weighed when in Mexico. But then we were very obviously obese. Just make sure you are aware of everything you may be dealing with afterwards. There were some things I was surprised and annoyed with that I did not expect to happen. Like the pain and discomfort in my chest when I eat, feeling like I've swallowed air. And you aren't supposed to eat and drink at the same time. Sweets can make you very sick to your stomach and cause dumping syndrome, which is something I thought wasn't supposed to happen with this surgery. And feeling really nauseous after eating is quite annoying too. I really wished there was another way for me to lose weight!

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide!

Name
    Jen
    Surgery date
    05/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Jon Armstrong
    Last Activity
    04-06-2015 05:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 331 Times
    Was Thanked 252 Times in 241 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,922 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsgirl View Post
    I've struggled with yo yo dieting my entire adult life, and have done the research and have decided on a sleeve by dr. Alvarez. The problem is that my current BMI is low (27.5). Now before you all start judging, this procedure will finally help me reach and Maintain a healthy weight that I have been unable to achieve on my own. Can anyone tell me who's had the surgery by Dr. Alvarez how they weigh you? Naked? In a gown? I've heard of people putting weights in their pockets, I don't want to be deceitful like that, but I have to have this surgery, and just really don't want to gain the 20 lbs they tell me I need to.
    Sorry don't get it. You're 72kgs now. That's my goal weight according to my Doctor (I'd like lower, but lets see what happens once I'm sleeved).
    Unless you are uncommonly short where you're goal of 56kgs is appropriate for your height I still only see this a an almost frivolous choice. Now I'm expecting a barrage of abuse for that comment - so be it - but my feet are firmly planted in the "operation for health where all else has failed" point of view. I cannot help but think this is like an "all over body plastic surgery choice" for want of another description, like a boob job in reverse as way of prevention of getting overweight.
    I still think a good Dietitian and lifestyle change is a healthier option. We might just need to agree to disagree on this one. You'd be doing anyway with the sleeve procedure done. Find your gym junkie soul, amend your diet and you'll be a teeny tiny person in no time. Best of luck whichever way you go.
    Highest weight ever - 108kgs, Surgery weight -101kgs, Goal weight - 65kgs