Dr.S. Hughes
    Last Activity
    10-10-2018 01:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 88 Times
    Was Thanked 94 Times in 94 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,573 Times
    Blog Entries

Angry What the "H" IS GOING ON??????

I feel worse now than I did after surgery. I am 3 week post-op on the 30 of April and I feel rotten. I feel likeam not getting enough food in the water intake is 64-66 oz a day. but I hate everything on the stage 2 diet, can't get the grits down they feel like I have a mouth full of sand and the mash potatoes are the worse. Can force down the crean of soup. Maybe tomorrow when I start the stage 3 diet I will be able to eat something. On top of that I have only lost 21 lbs after surgery that sucks before surgery lost 25 lbs. all together I have only lost 46lbs. I was hoping to be down 50-55 lbs. Just weighted and I am up 3 lbs from last Monday with what I am eatting I don"t see how that's possible. Now I am wondering why the heck did I do this ? Maybe tomorrow I will have a better day, because to day sucks big time.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What the "H" IS GOING ON??????

At your stage I was still on primarily a liquid diet, so if you're finding it hard to do the soft foods, I'd consider dropping back to more shakes and soups.

As for your complaint about not losing enough weight, I think you have completely unrealistic expectations. The first few weeks of loss, whether pre-op or post-op are commonly the largest, and slow down subsequently. You are still losing a huge amount of weight on average, it's not a race, and you're setting yourself up for completely unnecessary misery if you have an expectation of constant rapid weight loss.

Small increases in weight on the scale are generally just fluctuations in fluid retention which can be due to monthly cycles, and/or often retaining water before the next phase of bigger loss (apparently our body needs to retain some water in order to shed some of the fat).

So at this stage, your main focus should be on managing your nutrient intake and being careful of your sleeve because you're still in early post-op recovery phase. Trust that the surgery will work, follow the guidance, and then you can stop worrying about the rate of loss and just keep taking care of yourself and your new baby tummy.

Name
    Diego
    Surgery date
    06/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Richard Altieri
    Last Activity
    08-03-2013 10:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Im not in the psotion to comment on your felling (I havent had surgery yet), but I can tell you my friend... One day a time. what you are doing is hige a fast change in your life. im sure better days will como...

just keep going!

I will be following you...

Gastric Sleeve Member dgoerlitz's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Tallal Zeni
    Last Activity
    12-03-2013 12:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

A stall in week 3 is quite common. I know it sucks...but it happens to most of us.

Have you tried pureeing any other foods? We have a "silver bullet" mini blender. I pureed everything...eggs, bean soup, beef soup, potato soup...anything I felt like eating I simply ran through the blender first. Really the only thing I didn't try was spicy foods. Also...have you tried cream of wheat or coco wheats?

Are you exercising? Measuring inches? I've been stalled for a couple of weeks, but tried on a pair of pants I bought 3 weeks ago and they were huge on me.

Also, are you weighing every day? If so...don't...it just makes the little increases here and there all the more devastating. I only record my weight once a week. I have been a bit of a slow loser the whole time. My doc keeps telling me that this is a marathon, not a sprint. As long as the scale keeps going down, I am happy. Just know that twenty-one pounds in 3 weeks is awesome! Seriously, has that ever happened to you before?

Heaviest weight = 293 lbs
    Weight prior to pre-surgery diet = 281
    Surgery day weight = 278 lbs
    Goal weight = 150 lbs

Gastric Sleeve Member aboutime4me's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    05/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Soong
    Last Activity
    09-15-2016 10:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 368 Times in 333 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

Take a deep breath and step back for a moment. It's only a temporary feeling, believe me. At this stage your body is doing SUPER adjusting to not only the MAJOR surgery but the weight loss as well. You're doing phenomenal and the weight loss, post surgery is right on target. Me, I had no pre op diet and the first month post sleeve I lost 20 lbs. I was kissing the ground at that time.
    Your body will do what it wants, when it wants...no matter what you think or try to do. Hopefully you'll get a bit more food into you in the next phase. Just remember to take it slowly.
    I am a year post op this coming Wednesday and can still only usually take in about 3 ounces max of real solid proteins. That's the blessing of this surgery.
    Each of us also drops pounds differently with the sleeve but in the end, the weight loss will be there, have no doubt!
    Keep a good attitude and let us know how it goes. Wishing you all the best.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Island Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Rebecca
    Surgery date
    07/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,309 Times
    Blog Entries

Chris is right. This process takes time and is a complete lifestyle change. I am almost a year out and there are still foods that dont agree with me. It was 3 to 4 mos. Before my energy level was up to intense exercise. Be patience follow th
    e post op diet. This is not a race and there is no miracle solution.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Harish Kakkilaya
    Last Activity
    07-23-2014 08:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 34 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 148 Times
    Blog Entries

I had surgery on the 15th haven't weighed myself(never bought a scale) since my 1 week checkup with the doctor. I'm on blenderized diet stage now. Haven't been able to get all my protein in but I'm trying. I know weight loss is our goal but right now just trying to get in water, vitamins, protein in a day is task enough. Take it slow the weight will come off. Helping your sleeve to heal is top priority! I found that I can eat very moist chicken breast and pork in small amounts. The baby food wouldn't go down. And very mushy broccoli. And try a ready made protein drink. We will SUCCEED!

Surgery date
    04/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nirmal Jayaseelan
    Last Activity
    05-09-2016 10:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 42 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times

Quote Originally Posted by katente View Post
    I feel worse now than I did after surgery. I am 3 week post-op on the 30 of April and I feel rotten. I feel likeam not getting enough food in the water intake is 64-66 oz a day. but I hate everything on the stage 2 diet, can't get the grits down they feel like I have a mouth full of sand and the mash potatoes are the worse. Can force down the crean of soup. Maybe tomorrow when I start the stage 3 diet I will be able to eat something. On top of that I have only lost 21 lbs after surgery that sucks before surgery lost 25 lbs. all together I have only lost 46lbs. I was hoping to be down 50-55 lbs. Just weighted and I am up 3 lbs from last Monday with what I am eatting I don"t see how that's possible. Now I am wondering why the heck did I do this ? Maybe tomorrow I will have a better day, because to day sucks big time.
    Honey, let me tell you. I am 3 weeks out as well and I am a neurotic freak about weighing myself, power walking and taking in my protein. I have only lost 19 pounds with pre and post op diet combined. I am BEYOND frustrated with the scales because I feel like I am doing everything that the NUT and surgeon told me and I am not seeing any dramatic weight loss like other people. Then the reasonable sound mind kicks in and says, "when was the last time you lost 19 pounds in any amount of time?!" I try on clothes and they fit better. I go out in public and friends/family/acquaintances notice my hard work and weight loss. I freak myself out because I fully expected the scales to be so much nicer to me and I so desperately want to achieve my goal in a year's time. But if I don't complete it in a year, then I will just keep chugging along like the little engine that could. It so easy for everyone to say take a chill pill you are doing fantastic...BECAUSE YOU ARE DOING FANTASTIC...might I add. But I know it's easier said than done. We are our own worst enemy. Be kind to yourself and allow yourself to celebrate the victory you have already achieved.

Name
    Eileen
    Surgery date
    01/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Dexter Turnquest
    Last Activity
    10-28-2015 03:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 43 Times in 42 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

I'd swear I was reading one of my old posts as I ready yours. I truly understand where you're coming from. I was glued to the scale and obsessing big time over my weight loss. I was weighing and not losing weight and then realize I was still in bed - I hadn't even gotten out of bed. So I'd get up and weigh and sure enough, no weight loss and realize I was STILL in bed. I was dreaming that I was dreaming that I was weighing! CRA CRA! I finally had to give my prized possession up...my Health-O-Meter scale (like the one the dr has! I've given it to my brother to keep for me until my surgiversary (is that what you all it Mary?)...my one year anniversary of my surgery. It was one of the most difficult things I had to do! Really! I only weigh about once a week or week and a half in the clinic of the school where I work. That's so much healthier! That was the first big step to feeling normal again. One day, I realized I had been in an anesthesia fog for at least the first 2 weeks. I was terribly depressed and had unrealistic expectations. Once that was out of my system, my days seemed brighter. And you will, too. I have to be very careful to make sure I get most of my water and protein in every day. The reason for the lack of protein is that my list of tummy-accepting foods is very, very limited yet. I have a list of about 5-6 foods that I can eat that don't make me feel sick to my stomach or turn me completely off. (ie: Malt-O-Meal, oatmeal, yogurt, milk, soup broth) Only a few of those foods have a reasonable amount protein in them so I have to drink protein drinks and shakes to get my count up. I LIVED on Isopure Grape Frost Zero Carb protein drinks (Nature's BestŪ Isopure Zero Carb - Variety Pack - NATURES BEST - GNC) for the first 2-2 1/2 months. I buy them at GNC by the case. It's 40 gr. of protein in a 20 oz. bottle. When all you're drinking is water, it's a refreshing change. Two of those a day and you're getting your max required protein. The dr warned me not to rely on the Isopure for the protein intake but when you're eating so very little, it's unrealistic to expect to get enough protein from regular food....at least for now. Concentrate on drinking your fluids and getting the protein and you will start seeing the weight come off. When the weight isn't dropping, I assure you, you are dropping inches. I've gone from a 24 to a 16 in 3 months. It's only 55 lbs (which I am most grateful for) but it feels good to see the changes my body is making.

Hang in there. It's gonna git better! Mary has promised me that it will and with her approaching her 1st anniversary and seeing the progress she's made, I'm convinced. We're here for you. Bend our ears when you need to vent. STEP AWAY FROM THE SCALE!
    Highest Weigh ~305
    Weight, Day of Surgery - 275 Beginning BMI: 45.8
    10 days after surgery - 253.50 (-21.5 lbs)
    102 days after surgery - 215.5 (-59.5)
    149 days after surgery - 198.5 (-76.5) IN THE ONES!!!! Current BMI: 32.5
    10.5 mo. post surgery - 177 (-98 lbs). Current BMI: 29
    16 months post op - 176 (-99 lbs.)

Surgery date
    06/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nihalani
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 122 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,878 Times

Why don't you try carrying around 9 5 lbs bags of sugar all at once and then come back and tell us how you feel. If you're not pleased with losing 46 lbs, I bet your knees are......don't beat yourself up. This is not a magic bullet. Losing weight is a process and your body goes through a give and take every 3-4 weeks becuase it tries to stabilize itself. Be patient and know that over a longer period of time, you will reach your goal.

Be blessed not stressed!!
    Warm regards,

KB