Surgeon
    Jaime Ricardo Ramos Kelly M.D.
    Last Activity
    06-19-2013 06:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Default Food or Cards TO SLEEVE OR NOT TO SLEEVE

TO SLEEVE OR NOT TO SLEEVE (That is the Question) Weather tis nobler to suffer the pounds of outrageous fat against a sea of embarrassment and humiliation or is it nobler to carry the weight and go gently into that good diet.

The breadcrumb along the path that leads to bariatric sleeve surgery begins long before the Internet search for a solution leads you there. Why would anyone consider cutting their stomach into two pieces and the keeping only 15% of it? Why not just push yourself away from the table or better yet just shut your mouth? Why are we fat? How did we get fat? We didn’t wake up one morning and look in the mirror and say “Oh my god I am obese”. It silently sneaks up on us. Not a New Year’s eve passes without a solutions where we swear that this year we will seriously diet and exercise to success. Finally we reach a point where we are forced to confront our inability to combat the curse that preys on our dignity and self-esteem

People don’t understand the quite lives of humiliation and desperation most of us lead. No one wants to be fat! We don’t choose to live overweight and be subject to ridicule or have comments about our will power tendered behind our backs. Still what can we do but preserver for it seems hopeless.

This past month I was diving in the Philippines and was getting a massage after a dive when the man giving me the massage said, “Are you pregnant sir?” You would have to understand the Filipino culture to understand why he thought this was funny and would say it out loud to a customer. I can assure you not only did it allude my sense of humor I got up from the table and left him puzzling as to why I was upset. Four years ago I was in a department store in Manila and a salesman asked me the same question with a big smile on his face.

I had looked in to the bariatric Sleeve operation before but the cost was just too pregnant. I have decided to pursue the operation after extensive research and am well aware of the risks, side affects, and the mountain that must be climbed to reach the summit if I am lucky enough.

Most people fear the decision and the operation since it is very serious surgery and has inherent risks. It will require rigorous commitment including major eating habit changes and logical discression. Skill that have eluded us for the past few years. Why now will we be successful and follow the program? Well for one thing I will have a stomach the size of a banana to remind me that such behavior has consequences. Mostly because I have reached my tipping point where I am ready to do what ever it takes to get control of my life back. I realize I need the tools to forge a healthy future so I have come to the conclusion that a Sleeve operation is my best option.

How do you choose a doctor? Should you use an agency with a wonderful health coordinator? What country should you do it in? What does it cost? I get it you and how the heck should I know? What I do know is that sooner or later you have to pick a horse and bet on it or you have no chance to be in the race.

I have done extensive research and found the horror stories of surgery gone wrong, loose skin after the operation, and people judging you. Gosh lets me think …hum… people judge me now for being fat. Ok I would rather be thinner and judged so one down. What if something goes wrong or there is a serious complication during surgery? “Opps” I will regret it that’s two down. Loose skin because I lost so much weight will bum me out but I will be less heavily depressed and three down. The point is our lives have been full of excuses or hopless meaningless attempts to lose weight. Stand up and smell the fat.

So I am going to make an appointment with Dr. Jaime Ricardo Ramos Kelly and have a gastric sleeve operation at the Florence Hospital (The Oasis of Hope Hospital) in Mexico. Why because it’s there, I need it, and I have enough credit to allow me to borrow to afford it. I have had pleasant correspondence with Dr Kelly the past two days and am comfortable that he is skilled and experienced. So this long stream of conscience is not a journey entry. It’s more of a declaration of intent to JUST DO IT. I am not recommending anyone just jumping into the frying pan. I am not intelligent to be afraid yet and it is too soon to regret so I am stuck with hope and the prospect of improving the quality of my life.

My journey not yet begun but I have a trip planner. I think some people need to share their journey. It seems like a necessary part of the process of dealing with the arduous ordeal of confronting the serious issue or a long term struggle with weight loss compounded by the fear of an unknown future out come based on a life altering irreversible decision.

These accounts provide meaningful insight and for the most part console and reinforce the fervent hope that there is life after fat. I have read several sincere and well-written accounts that attempt to pull back the curtain and show the reality of the surgery. The dream of successful long lasting weight loss and its actual implementation are fraught with harsh issues on need to consider. There are stories that reveal disappointing failure as well as over the top fawning over medical staff and super coordinators. Somewhere in the middle lies the semi-truth of it. We want to beleive. No check that. We need to believe that the success stories will one day contain a befroe and after picture of our own.

If you have scanned the forums you will find that the competitive marketing methods and/or tactics that some agencies employ confuse and distract from the clients ability to compare and analyze meaningful options for true consideration. Many accounts on the forums under the guised of praising a doctor, spend more text on the great organizer or consultant that took them shopping and visited them at the hospital than giving an account of the doctor’s competence. Other accounts slander Doctors not affiliated with their agency or under contractual agreement so they can be charged finds fees. The poor Physicians must be frustrated trying to tread water in this sea of dismal commerce but it the nature of the beast.

Once I get to the starting line I would be happy to share if anyone other than me cares. I am going to do this alone. I don’t want my wife to accompany me. She will be worried and scarred and frankly this is about me. I am doing it for myself and will do it by myself. Naturally when I return home I will be the wounded little boy who needs complete and sensitive attention and support. So I guess this was my intro. I fear only lost opportunity.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Jeannie
    Surgery date
    01/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-02-2015 07:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 144 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Food or Cards TO SLEEVE OR NOT TO SLEEVE

WOW! well said! Lots of luck to you!

309 lbs before pre-op diet.
    297 lbs day of surgery.
    275 lbs 2/19/13 1 month post 34 lbs less!
    265 3/15/13 2 months post 44 lbs less!
    253 4/15/13 3 months post 56 lbs less!
    246 5/15/13 4 months post 63 lbs less!
    238 6/15/13 5 months post 71 lbs less!
    231 7/15/13 6 months post 78 lbs less!
    222 8/15/13 7 months post 87 lbs less!

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Laurie
    Surgery date
    08/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Liao
    Last Activity
    07-15-2014 02:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Very well written and probably the same feeling for the majority of all of us here on this forum. Good luck on your journey and keep us all posted to your progress.

Pre-op weight: 208 (3/27/13)
    Day of Surgery: 203 (8/21/13)

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member 1happyloser2b's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Minkin
    Last Activity
    12-15-2014 11:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6,566 Times
    Blog Entries

God Bless you!!!

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Heart on my Sleeve's Avatar
    Name
    Lee Ann
    Surgery date
    09/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Joya
    Last Activity
    08-09-2014 10:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 52 Times

Who do you write for? If you don't, you should. Or Blog maybe?

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Puerto Beach's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times

That was a nice thing to say. Aren't you kind TY
    I am a retired school administrator writing out to all the kindred disconnected souls like myself
    I salute you 4 pounds from your goal would that I could follow your gift of accomplishment.
    My hopes for success float in the air exactly the way that bricks don't.

Gastric Sleeve Member thenewmetoday's Avatar
    Name
    joanne
    Surgery date
    04/17/2012
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    10-30-2017 03:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 445 Times
    Was Thanked 309 Times in 215 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,313 Times
    Blog Entries

I understand SOLO. I chose that route and have only shared with very few trusted friends of like mind. This was my journey, very personal. Did not need any input or encouragment from others..except from this site it was my support system. I am 1 lb. below goal and going for a few more, I love my sleeve and it is the best thing I have ever done for me. I am sure your wife will take very good care of her wounded bear. Cheers and keep writing. Your writing is so good that many of us may be to intimidated to answer you blogs. lol

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Puerto Beach's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times

Thank you for you generous and kind words. Your goal is rushing headlong at you and I admire your attitude and sighting of the goal line you're about to cross. I think to myself the worst that can happen might but what if I follow in your footsteps. I will then feel like I will have recovered some small measure of control and part of myself back In the process. I want the sum of my parts to end weighing less than the whole

Gastric Sleeve Member marilynlw's Avatar
    Name
    Marilyn
    Surgery date
    11/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Lorenzo
    Last Activity
    01-02-2014 02:32 PM
    Oahu, Hawaii we moved from Ohio to wormer weather.
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 742 Times in 711 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,174 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome I enjoyed reading your post and wish you all the success you need in your journey. We need to have hope for the future that it will be better then the past.

Highest weight 440 lbs. lowest weight 9.5 lbs at birth
    Date of surgery weight 340
    12 week checkup 301 BMI <50 yeah!
    Weight on birthday 3/24/48 Goal 285 would be nice.

18. Said thanks: