05/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shillingford
    Last Activity
    07-25-2013 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Question Should I do this?? Still debating.... PCOS and Overweight!!

I am 36 yrs old. I have been "chunky" my whole life. I played sports in high school and college (intramural) and some city adult leagues after that. I have been on weight watchers a few times and lost 25-60lbs I gained it all back and more. I did Jenny Craig and lost about 30lbs and gained it all back... quick weightloss.. same thing. Each time I get bigger and bigger.

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for about two years. I lost some weight at the begining of the journey but 2 surgeries, 2 IUI's, and 2 IVF's (ended in miscarriage and ecoptic) I have eaten myself into someone I dont want to be anymore! We recently decided to not continue with fertility treatments. They are too expensive with no guarantee and too emotionally and physically draining. So we decided to adopt. As I am completing our paperwork I got to thinking that there is no way I can chase a toddler around the house!! I am too fat!! My knees hurt, my back hurts, everything hurts.. so I went to see my RE and he recommended Gastric Sleeve and here I am!

I am now at 298lbs and I REFUSE to hit 300lbs!! I have started walking and eating right but I still need to do something as I am tired of being a yo-yo and I want to prepare for my babies! So my options are to go on a diet which may get me down to a reasonable weight... or do Gastric Sleeve now while I do not have kids.. I can take time off work.. AND I am still young! So just looking for thoughts and experiences...
    Exploring Gastric Sleeve....
    5'11
    295lbs
    BMI: 41.8
    Severe PCOS

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Rachel
    Last Activity
    09-24-2013 11:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 540 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Should I do this?? Still debating.... PCOS and Overweight!!

Ana,

I have not had my surgery yet. I am about a month out. I have done many of the same things that you have in regards to Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers. I am sorry to hear that you have had a hard time conceiving a child. I made this decision for myself after seeing pictures of myself with my kids on vacation this past summer. It was the eye opener. I have researched all the options that are available and have made the decision to sleeve. I have a chronic medical problem that I need to be able to take medicine for, the sleeve allows me to take the meds without the loss of absorption. If you really want to get a good idea of what this surgery can do for you. Attend a local seminar or support group. The sleeve is just a tool to help you lose weight and if you don't follow things to the tee, you can fail. So I have already started changing the way I do things, I have started exercising, just walking right now. I have also cut out soda, wine and almost have successfully quite smoking. Life changes and I feel that now is the better then later. I wish you luck. I do have a Facebook page in which I post healthy options, exercise tips and general support, it is called thefatgurldiaries. The name is the title to the book I am writing. Feel free to join if you would like.
    RachieV

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Wendy
    Surgery date
    11/19/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michael Peters
    Last Activity
    02-01-2017 01:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 39 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times
    Blog Entries

I can only tell you about my experience. I started pre-op at 263 and lost 8 lbs before surgery, since my surgery (on 11/19/12) I have lost 56 more lbs.
    I am so sorry that I didn't find out about this surgery sooner. I have osteoarthritis in both of my hips and one knee, which is getting better and better the more weight I lose, I sleep better, I have energy for days. My surgery was perfect, no complications, no side effects, hardly any pain (I won't lie, the drain was a beast, lol). I don't have anything bad to say, but do your research and read, read, read, pray about it and then go with your gut! Good luck to you!!

Gastric Sleeve Member silver2319's Avatar
    Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    01/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Paciulli
    Last Activity
    04-30-2015 11:07 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 46 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times
    Blog Entries

I really started thinking about going thru with the sleeve when I was 36...I was 250lbs and had tried pretty much EVERY diet and pill that was out there...not only was I unhealthy...I FELT unhealthy just walking thru a store made me break out into a sweat. I have lost and regained the same pounds and then gained more in the process.

Hearing about the sleeve was a eye opening time in my life. It made since to me, more than the bypass where everything was rearranged in side me or the band where I would need adjustments and I would never just be able to move on with my life.

Once I realized that this was what I needed to do for me my life finally made since to me. No it hasnt been the easiest road but I do wish I had done this 10 years ago when I was 26. Like people have said...read about it...do the research...and in the end if you feel that this will be able to take you off the roller coaster ride and onto a new ride to a better and healthier you then do it!!!

260 lbs - Highest Weight
    240 lbs - [ August 2012 ] 1st Bariatric Appointment
    225 lbs - [ January 19, 2013 ] Day of Surgery
    200 lbs Goal - [ March 6, 2013 ]
    170 lbs Goal - [ July 31, 2013 ]
    160 lbs Goal - [ ????? ]
    150 lbs Ultimate Goal - [ ????? ]

Surgery date
    11/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Schram
    Last Activity
    07-17-2014 02:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times

I have just decided that the sleeve is what I need. I am 31 and I also have PCOS, thankfully I was able to conceive, but it wasn't easy. I needed brain surgery last year due to a congenital birth defect and after going through all of that I have decided to take me health into my own hands and change my life. I have tried over and over and over to lose weight and this time I am in it for the long haul. Good luck with your decision!!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member christinaja's Avatar
    Name
    Christina
    Surgery date
    04/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    09-22-2013 07:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 97 Times
    Was Thanked 42 Times in 39 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 61 Times
    Blog Entries

I also have PCOS. The thing with PCOS is that it is an overall endocrine disorder, and it isn't limited to the reproductive system. I was fortunate...after two miscarriages, I was able to successfully conceive and carry my daughter to term nearly ten years ago. After that, I lost my fertility altogether and had to have a hysterectomy. Because PCOS affects the pancreas, it leads to diabetes later in life. The dietary changes that are necessary with the sleeve will help significantly. It may take us longer to lose than the "average" sleeve patient, but we can, and do, still lose with it. And that is worth it in the long run.

Starting Weight, 1/30/13: 317 pounds
    Day of Surgery, 4/29/13: 310 pounds

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Scott Fisher
    Last Activity
    08-25-2013 11:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Wow, RedAnna, you are basically me (same height and weight basically) minus IVF. I just had this surgery last Thursday so I don't have long term results yet. I started this because I wanted children, we are considering adoption and I didn't want to be a parent that couldn't run after their kids. The surgery isnt guaranteed to solve PCOS issues but is supposed to help minimize them.
    Even if its not a sure fix for the fertility just keep in mind, its saving your health long term.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Adrian Bartlett
    Last Activity
    04-16-2013 02:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Doing things naturally is almost always a better alternative to surgery. I would suggest you stick to a healthy diet and exercise routine. Maybe you could hire a personal trainer, and start going on long walks, bike rides, swimming etc.. The key to staying at a weight you want, is to be consistent. This is by far the hardest aspect of keeping weight off. You must train yourself to stick to a daily routine without falling off. Eventually, you'll get so used to your daily routine, that it will get easier and easier. The hardest part is always getting started and maintaining it over several months. The first six months to a year is considered the trial period. If you manage to get passed the trial period, things will start getting easier to do.

Gastric Sleeve Member Hopefuljourney's Avatar
    Name
    Amy
    Surgery date
    07/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Alok D Gandhi, DO
    Last Activity
    09-24-2015 01:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

I am 40 years old - I too have PCOS - I do have 3 children that I am very thankful for. I have my surgery scheduled for May 22nd and I have tried to maintain the feeling that this is the right thing for me to do. When I met with my surgeon, he had me bring a list of diet attempts. I can tell you that making that list was an eye opening activity. I have been dieting in some form or another since I was 14 years old. I have been the "cute, chubby girl" my entire life and the reason dieting did not start prior to the age of 14 is because you didn't talk about putting kids on diets back them but I can tell you that my mother watched everything I put in my mouth like a hawk.

You need to make this decision for yourself but if you really look at the options - another diet, another fad - are they options? As it was said before this is a tool. A chance at having your life back. If a doctor said you need to have your appendix out and in turn that helped you loose weight, you would do it, right? This surgery is not the end of the road but the beginning of your life.

I wish you well and hope for you lots of babies!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member christinaja's Avatar
    Name
    Christina
    Surgery date
    04/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    09-22-2013 07:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 97 Times
    Was Thanked 42 Times in 39 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 61 Times
    Blog Entries

No offense, DailyHealth, but I am pretty sure if it were that simple, most of us wouldn't be here. I, for one, have done ALL of that. And part of the screening process for most bariatric surgeons is to have potential patients make a list of every diet attempt, how long they did it, and number of pounds lost before even accepting them as a candidate for surgery. In addition, there are other criteria that have to be met. For the vast majority of bariatric surgery patients, this is a last resort. It is not supportive to tell people to try doing something that they have already done time and time again, when they have found that it does not work for them.

Starting Weight, 1/30/13: 317 pounds
    Day of Surgery, 4/29/13: 310 pounds

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ewing
    Last Activity
    06-30-2020 07:30 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hi Anna,

I also have PCOS. I've been through numerous IUI/IVF treatments and have been so fortunate to have 3 children. I know how painful, mentally exhausting and expensive the process is.

As for the sleeve - I was sleeved 12 days ago. It really wasn't a difficult decision for me. I just feel powerless against controlling my weight. The tipping point to me was my mother. She is 65 and obese. We are planning a trip to Disney and she said she really wanted to come. And I looked at her and thought how can you join us when you can't even walk a block. I decided right there and then that I didn't want to fight this for another 25 years. I've been fighting this since I was 13! I didn't want another futile and failed attempt at weight watchers. So within a few weeks, I went to a seminar and the rest is history.

I never doubted my decision prior to surgery and I won't say anything at this point because its too soon in the process (and quite frankly i'm exhausted and anything I would say would really be way to emotionally based).

Do you research and explore and prepare for all options.

Best of luck...

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    10-21-2013 06:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times

I also have PCOS, and have struggled with my weight my entire adult life. Nearly three years ago, I was able to lose some weight by going on a crazy (read: unsustainable) diet long enough to conceive, with the help of metformin. But prior to that, we TTC for a LONG, LONG time without success. My husband and I definitely want more children, and I see WLS as a tool to help us conceive again. I am in the very beginning stages of this whole process and am still trying to decide between the VS or the RNY bypass. In theory, the RNY should be better for PCOS because it addresses the insulin resistance more directly, but the VS seems like a better choice since I want to get pregnant again and don't want to worry about malabsorption issues. I'd really like to hear from other PCOSers who have been sleeved!

Gastric Sleeve Member HeartsInNC's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jose Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    03-01-2017 10:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts

I feel like I'm butting in where I don't belong a little here- not having PCOS myself- but have you ever seen any Youtube videos of a user named Kellawanda? I found her videos very interesting and helpful while I was learning about and deciding whether or not to have the sleeve surgery. She also has PCOS and her videos chronicle her journey starting with why and how she decided to have the sleeve, through almost a 100 pound weight loss to getting married and now getting pregnant. From what I recall, I believe she experienced great relief from PCOS after her sleeve, and it obviously helped remedy her worst fear, that she'd never have children. Check her out... you may find it helpful.

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Janice
    Surgery date
    07/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. T. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    05-26-2014 09:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times

At best, you would be able to conceive. At worst, you would be able to run after an adopted child without losing energy. Seems like win/win to me!? i have already decided to get sleeved, but this past Monday I went to the zoo with my 4 year old son, and I couldn't stay longer than a couple of hours because it was hot and I was miserable!! So I am looking forward to next year when I go with him and I feel much more comfortable! Good luck!!

Heaviest Weight (04/11/2013): 300 lbs
    Starting Liquids (07/04/2013): 293.8 lbs
    Day of Surgery (07/18/2013): 283.2 lbs
    2 Week Post-Op Weight: 273.0 lbs
    30 days Post-Op Weight (08/18/2013): 263.0 lbs
    60 days Post-Op Weight (09/18/2013): 250.0 lbs
    (03/04/14): ONEDERLAND! - 199.4 lbs
    One Year (07/18/2014):

Gastric Sleeve Member Persiankity33's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Keith Kim
    Last Activity
    04-15-2018 11:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts

I have PCOS too.... A million times over again I would do it!!!! I have a two year old daughter I was very lucky to get pregnant with after clomid...,we want more children. I'm hoping the weight loss will allow me to conceive naturally next time. Just remember u should NOT get pregnant for at least 12-18 months after this surgery.