05/21/2013
    Surgeon
    ShawvSomers
    Last Activity
    09-24-2014 10:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Anyone from UK waiting to have the Sleeve in May 2013?

I would really like a buddy my date is 21st May and it would be great to compare with someone going through this at the same time?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Mr Mannur
    Last Activity
    09-20-2013 05:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default Re: Anyone from UK waiting to have the Sleeve in May 2013?

Hey, im new to the forum but anything you need to know just ask and if i can help i will, we can also help each other ? i had my surgery 4 days ago. im doing fine and ive lost 10lbs already. Now down to 12st 11lbs and going to go all the way down to 10st or less however long it takes.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr ammori
    Last Activity
    01-21-2014 12:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I'm having my surgery on the 24th may, would b good to chat to someone going through it at the same time!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2013
    Surgeon
    ShawvSomers
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Quote Originally Posted by julie58 View Post
    Hey, im new to the forum but anything you need to know just ask and if i can help i will, we can also help each other ? i had my surgery 4 days ago. im doing fine and ive lost 10lbs already. Now down to 12st 11lbs and going to go all the way down to 10st or less however long it takes.
    Hi Julie congrats on the surgery though I would love to weigh your starting weight I'm sure you will get the results you want though as you haven't got too much to lose. How have you found the recovery so far?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2013
    Surgeon
    ShawvSomers
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Emmcha View Post
    Hi, I'm having my surgery on the 24th may, would b good to chat to someone going through it at the same time!
    Hey Emma, absolutely! Let's stay in touch.. have you been given a pre-op diet yet? I've got an appointment with the dietician and need to start the milk diet for a week before surgery. Here's hoping it's going to be ok.. the nerves are starting to kick in now how about you? But in order to stay positive I've been going through my wardrobe and finding loads of clothes I can't wait to wear again as I hopefully get smaller post op! Just think this summer we will be on our way to losing our excess weight, how fantastic is that!?

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Mr Mannur
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
    Hi Julie congrats on the surgery though I would love to weigh your starting weight I'm sure you will get the results you want though as you haven't got too much to lose. How have you found the recovery so far?
    . Hi there. . my recovery has been brilliant but i wish my head would stop telling my stomach it can eat all sorts when I know I can't! I know I can't eat a plateful but it's when you see the food being cooked you start wishing you could have some. .I haven't of course and wouldn't be able to even touch a big plate full as even a few spoonfuls of soup does me! !! Guess it's just too soon for my head to get round why my stomachs not getting the huge amount of food it used to get. But I take my vitamins every day and I'm fine plus I have my bottle of water with me all the time. ..

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2013
    Surgeon
    ShawvSomers
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Yeah that's the bit I'm worried about Julie, I do so love food and the smell of something cooking is going to be hard to deal with I suppose! Well here's hoping my priorities change but I've still got to cook for the family which is going to be a challenge. Eventually though we will be able to eat normally again just very small amounts!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr ammori
    Last Activity
    01-21-2014 12:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Yeah nerves kicking in over here too, keep wondering if its the right thing to do. Lost a large amount of weight on lighter life before i had my little boy so have got bags and bags of "skinny" clothes in loft waiting to b worn hopefully! Going For my app with dietician and nurse on the 14th so think will get my pre op diet then eek!

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi all, 7 months post-op today and in the UK. Still check in here regularly, and happy to answer questions about being further along, or have a chat on the phone if it helps. I remember feeling like *nobody* in the UK has surgery - has been really helpful to meet a few people and feel normal about this!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2013
    Surgeon
    ShawvSomers
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Wow Niamh your weightloss is amazing! I'm so excited for results like yours although don't expect to get those results so quickly as I have PCOS and hyperthyroidism. I lost 10 st 7 yrs ago with weight watchers and exercising like a crazy woman but it took me 3 years as I'm a very slow looser. So here i am having gradually regained 6 st with around 8 st to loose. Due to ongoing knee injury problems I can't exercise like I did before at the moment so I need this surgery.

I also feel like nobody in the UK has this surgery even my own surgical companies website forum only has headings for Bypass or Lapband and I had to request this option as I did my research and preferred this choice to the others. It's really fantastic to hear from UK people who have had and are going through this surgery I really hope we can share experiences.

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks! I appreciate my weight loss looks impressive now, but I did lose the first 18lb or so pre-op. I would say my weight loss is average or below in terms of rate, but just shows that it doesn't matter how fast or slow you get there, as long you're heading in the right direction. The thing I'm also very happy about is that I've had a very smooth time of it post surgery - no problems getting food down or keeping it down, no problems tolerating different foods (once gradually introducing as per post-op diet plan), no reflux after a few months post-op. The surgery really feels like it's left my body working well, but just reduced the capacity for food - exactly what it was supposed to do.

I lost about 4 stone in 2001 with weight watchers, and did it faster than I've lost weight this time around. But that was back when I only had 4 stone to lose, and I was obsessional about it at the time. Right now I feel like I'm losing by eating, living and exercising the way I intend to for the rest of my life.

Good luck with your prep for surgery - keep in touch and let us know how it's all going.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Mr Mannur
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I don't know if this is normal and id like to know if others felt this. . but why do I keep having thoughts that I have to get something "proper" to eat? I mean I don't feel starving but every now and then through the day I think I must get something to eat? I really think it's what my body is used to and my brain is saying Hey it's time to eat food! I have a under active thyroid too and I know that slows the metabolism and I'm expecting my weight loss to be slow but as long as I'm losing that's fine. its only 10 days since my op so I hope as things progress I will get used to this change.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Sophie
    Surgery date
    07/10/2013
    Surgeon
    NORTON
    Last Activity
    06-04-2013 02:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I wish you luck for May 21st, will be thinking of you...I go to see my surgeon May 17th, my first step along the ladder!!! Please let us know how it all goes and how life is post-op.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Mr Mannur
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
    Hi, I've found my recovery fine, had a few mistakes with sampling food whereby I've been sick but nothing major. .people are seeing my weight loss which is good, gives you a boost but I still don't feel slim enough to go swimming or to the gym. . Maybe soon!