04/05/2013
    Last Activity
    12-05-2013 10:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 22 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Arrow Real Food

When were you able to get real food. Like real pizza, real Chinese fried rice, real hamberger? And eat it without getting sick.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/18/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jorge Acosta
    Last Activity
    03-28-2014 10:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 52 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 64 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Real Food

I was able to eat hamburger meat at about 6 weeks- no bun. Rice of any kind is a no-no for quite some time and some people really never eat it again. I made pizza with a flatbread wrap about 2 months after surgery. Bready stuff takes up too much room that I would rather use for protein. It sounds like you are craving carbs. The cravings went away for me several weeks after surgery. It will get easier for you too.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    10-26-2014 03:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 89 Times

I am about 18 months out, and do not remember the exact dates... I would say about 3 months... some things quicker... some things longer.. I think that steak was about 4-6 months.. I only eat Filet... the other does not agree with me... Not sure if Chinese Rice will ever be a good choice.. I really don't do too well with any Chinese food and avoid it.. I was able to eat a McDonald's cheese burger after about 4-6 weeks... I just ate the meat and occassionally would eat one part of the bun.... When you eat pizza, I would try and eat the toppings and eat only a small amount of the crust.(.. Listen to your "inner voice".. If the food does not sound good in "your head" it probably will not feel good in your tummy... I really can eat anything now..,. but what may work today, sometimes does not work the next day... You will find that you become very selective about what you eat... If it is not really good, you will not want to waste your time on that item.. After awhile, it truly becomes "eating to live and not living to eat"... The longer you avoid carbs the better off you will be... Your weight loss will be much faster...... carbs are very addictive... Good luck..... (Follow the guide that your surgeon gave you .. that helps tremendously)

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Forrester
    Last Activity
    07-15-2014 03:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 208 Times in 188 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 263 Times
    Blog Entries

rice is easy for me....too easy really, i can eat a large amount, so i only order very small amounts with lots of chicken in it. i could eat it at two weeks out. hamburger has not sat well with me ever, i don't enjoy ground beef much anymore. pizza is easy, and bread is a slider for me, i can eat a whole big piece easily, so when i do have pizza i watch myself. I had my first pizza at about three or four weeks i think. Meats on their own with just a couple bites of a side dish are safest for me, meats fill me up fast and stay with me for a long time, breads and rice and pasta are sliders.

Pounds LOST since surgery 111
    Finally reached Onderland 3/1/2013
    Height 5'3" Small frame
    Starting BMI day of surgery : 45.7 MORBIDLY OBESE CLASS 3
    BMI current 26.0 OVERWEIGHT

my first goal is to get to 141pounds, that will put me in the NORMAL range bmi. My second goal is 120, which is thin and healthy.

Gastric Sleeve Member irishgypsy's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ku
    Last Activity
    01-08-2014 03:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

when I want to get fat again is when I would start eating that kind of food. Don't mean to sound so blunt, but ...really? That is the food you are looking to introduce back in to your new sleeve? I do agree with anything in moderation, but it sounds like a slipperery slope is that is the foods you are 'waiting' to eat. Be careful.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    04/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Sidney Hu
    Last Activity
    06-09-2014 08:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Your question is worded kind of weird to me. I eat lots of REAL food. I eat real steak, real chicken, real soups, real cottage cheese, and on and on. If what you mean is fast food, or eating out, then that depends. Each of us is different. I have eaten out several times and had pizza (half of one small slice) but I have not had an hamburgers. I order chicken nuggets, a turkey sandwich or roast beef sandwich and eat a tiny bit of the bread and focus on the meat. You may never again tolerate burgers or pizza. And would that really be such a bad thing? Try new foods, experiment with cooking at home, and don't worry so much about those old, fatty, unhealthy foods that got us all to the point of needing this surgery in the first place.