Dr. Sebastien Eid
    Last Activity
    11-22-2013 04:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Cravings

Hi everyone,

I just had my sleeve done on March 14th and am finding my cravings to be unbearable at times. I know it's mental and I keep telling myself it's only temporary, but it doesn't help a ton. I am only in phase 2- pureed/mushy foods and just keep thinking about all my favorite foods that I can't eat. I want to stop thinking like this. Any suggestions?

-Jackie

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member bestnester's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Chelsea
    Surgery date
    02/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hendricks
    Last Activity
    05-15-2014 02:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cravings

I too struggled at this time. I just had to bear it and really remember my goals. It isn't easy, but it does get much better. Good luck!

Name
    Dixie
    Surgery date
    12/20/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. John Pilcher
    Last Activity
    10-29-2013 06:54 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries

Solid food will be part of your diet soon and will eliminate most of those cravings....

Surgery date
    02/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Mr Harry Frydenberg
    Last Activity
    01-06-2017 05:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 107 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts

Yes I was done recently and have cravings for fried food for some reason. So I just went with it and had a few small things once I was able to and far enough out. However its starting to wane a bit as I am thinking about healthy stuff. Some things don't seem to taste as nice once I try them even though. Its weird. I am trying not to be too fanatical about it and just keeping on the doctors guidelines and if I treat myself once I am ready, then its so small its not affecting my weight. But I just need to keep eating stuff thats healthy and thats important.

Gastric Sleeve Member JouneryStarted03/12/13's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Laz Klein, Toronto, Ontario
    Last Activity
    05-08-2013 03:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 28 Times

I was done on the 12th and I too have cravings which I kinda thought I wouldn't have. I am struggling a bit but know I will not cave in. I have come too far and have too far to go to go off the rails this early.
    I have found that adding Crystal Light to my water which helps a bit.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Buzz
    Surgery date
    06/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Westmoreland
    Last Activity
    04-20-2014 12:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts

I'm 10 months out and I still have cravings. They will never go away, it's the addiction. I have found going to my monthly group meetings helps. It is very hard. I have lost allot so I have indulged some cravings such as sweets, beer. but my sleeve always reels me in from doing too much damage. I'm not losing as fast of course but i'm not gaining. checks and balances

Name
    Gretchen
    Surgery date
    12/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Paul Benn MD.
    Last Activity
    01-07-2014 01:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times
    Blog Entries

I had terrible cravings and I still do. I am VERY aware of what I eat but I don't deny myself things. This weekend I wanted carrot cake so bad I could not stand it (it has been years since I had it). My hubby and I got a carrot cake cupcake to share at home. I could only have three bites but they were amazing bites. Now I move on to my normal, everyday diet. I take the cravings head on - but don't push your sleeve. Take a few small bites and put the craving beast to rest. Obsessing about what you want has a way of taking over. You also have to be careful of food addiction. It is a slippery slope

Name
    Robynn
    Surgeon
    Dr. Atkinson
    Last Activity
    08-03-2014 04:29 AM
    Said "Thanks" 112 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

I had the same problem especially week two. I am a self admitted carboholic, and I wanted a piece of bread so bad I thought I was going to go crazy. I knew it was head hunger, because I never really feel hungry any more. I wondered how I was ever going to live like this, craving after craving, and wondered if I was going to be strong enough to get through the cravings. I actually had to sit myself down, and remember why I did this. I had to remember the knee and ankle pain I was dealing with, my joints degenerating quickly due to the excess weight. I had to remember that I had taken almost every penny out of our savings account to do this surgery, and I had invested it all in my belief in myself to make this sleeve work for me.

I am very lucky that I have very supportive family and friends, who believe I can do this, and have a lot more faith in me, than I have in myself. I had to find a way to stop the cravings though. I found when the cravings hit, I can busy myself with non food related activities, I will read, or do a project in the house, I even broke out my colored pencils and my books and colored one day. Then if I still wanted something, a sweet or a snack, I would eat a sugar free pudding, and usually the craving would go away. I have also found that cooking curbs a lot of my cravings, sounds crazy I know. The other night my hubby was at work, and my daughter was out for the evening. I baked chicken, and made scalloped potatoes, and some fresh green beans. I even baked a pan of lemon bars. When everything was done, I sliced a piece of chicken, sat down and had my dinner. I got up wrapped everything else up and put it in the fridge, and when my hubby came home from work he had a nice meal and my daughter had a late dinner when she got home at the end of the night. The cravings will get easier to fight as time goes on, just hang in there it does get easier once you figure out what works for you.

Name
    Cindy Barrie
    Surgery date
    10/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    04-10-2015 04:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 165 Times
    Was Thanked 220 Times in 207 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 403 Times
    Blog Entries

I'll bet that you have had cravings all your life, but you could act on them before and now because of your new teeny tiny tummy you are feeling like you are being held back. I am five months out and still have to deal with cravings, but when I was at your stage and I couldn't act it was frustrating. So, this is what I did . . . I got out the big kitchen calendar and wrote in when I could try something that I truly missed and wanted to try ASAP -- well it worked, now I had a goal date!!!! LOL - how I wanted to have a piece of toast or dressing, it was scheduled for Thanksgiving so I held off until dinner and tried some of the dressing only to discover that bread wasn't really my friend any longer -- to this day I have problems with more than a bite or two of bread or dressing. Bread is no longer my good friend -- but the calendar gave me a way to make future plans for trying out new foods! By the way, I am still not ready for lettuce but maybe someday it will work out.

Name
    Jackie
    Surgery date
    03/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sebastien Eid
    Last Activity
    11-22-2013 04:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yes, I have always had cravings but just gave in to them. This is new territory for me. I love all the suggestions! Thanks, everyone! Also, how do I get that weight loss widget everyone has in their signatures? I also can't figure out how to add who my surgeon was! Weird!