Surgeon
    Dr. Felix Spiegel
    Last Activity
    04-03-2013 10:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Getting thru the 1st week

I just had my surgery Tuesday the 19th. I still have a lot of gas pains that haven't passed. Tonight I found I was actually hungry for the 1st time this week. I don't know how I will be able to go to bed w/my stomach growling. Does anyone have any suggestions? My family had pizza tonight since it was easy for them to pick up since I'm still kinda weak. I so wanted to eat a slice! I need help & suggestions to get thru these 7 days until I can finally have some soup!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member chefjake99's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ricardo Bonner
    Last Activity
    11-09-2019 10:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Re: Getting thru the 1st week

Hi there we had surgery the same day! I had similar gas pains in my chest. The only was I was able to get rid of them was to get up and walk around. The gas pains are nearly gone now. When they do come up I just get up and walk. As far as the food and hunger part is concerned I've been in a similar boat. Last night they brought home cheeseburgers (probably my biggest weakness) they actually got and extra one by accident. My son who is 7 still doesn't completely understand the changes I am going through picked the extra burger up and said here dad you can have the extra one! I had to laugh! Tonight my wife made something that smelled and looked delicious again stomach growling! I am trying to keep myself busy while they eat. I think eventually this will all pass right now I am trying to come up with recipes for the future stages. I have an app on my phone called lose it. I am looking up foods and creating recipes and it calculates the nutrition info. For right now it's fun for me to think about how I am going to make both delicious and healthy food. I am a chef by trade thank god I took two weeks off I don't know how I would be able to handle looking at restaurant food all day right now! Good luck to you and keep your head up!

Gastric Sleeve Member Sunflower's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    09-08-2013 09:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 682 Times
    Was Thanked 704 Times in 669 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 550 Times

Congrats on your surgery. You will come to realize over time that most of your stomach growling is not accompanied by feelings of hunger. My stomach growls when I eat or drink, or just because. That growling noise isn't the same signal it used to be before you got sleeved. It's just gas being pushed around because you put something in your stomach. The pain will subside. Have you tried gas-z strips for gas pain? I can tell you that if you eat pizza now you will hurt yourseld. It won't be worth it. You are bored right now because of the fluids-only diet, but soon you will eat more things. Hang in there.

Fast Weight loss Online at the Weight Loss Center

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member livingonaprayer's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ragui Sadek
    Last Activity
    08-01-2014 09:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,286 Times
    Blog Entries

Congratulations on your sleeve! For the first 2 weeks, I didn't eat with my family. They understood. I've been doing much better with the food aspect. You will too. Just give it some time. I agree........just new tummy noises! It's not as bad now but sometimes I can get loud! LOL I didn't actually feel some hunger until about 6 weeks post op. Everything is so new, you just need to take it one day at a time. Be sure to keep moving around to move the gas out and keeping sipping liquid! You're going to do great!

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    03/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Bhesania
    Last Activity
    12-30-2016 04:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 48 Times
    Blog Entries

I had my surgery on tuesday March 19th also, I havent really felt any hunger pains, but the head hunger is driving me crazy, Ive actually dreamed about food, lol.....the gas pain was horrible, but the more I walked the more it cleared...today I was finally able to drink a little more water....HATE the smell of broth, almost made me gag in the hospital also, so IM sticking with water....SF popsicles/fudgesicles/ SF jello/ Low fat watered down vanilla yogurt and apple juice...gonna try adding protein powder to my yogurt tomorrow and see how that goes....My stomach makes alot of noise when I swallow anything, personally I think its bitching at me for doing this (I gave you the best yrs of my life) but smelling food hasnt bothered me either, my husband has been wonderful and cooking what he likes, and no problems there.....just keep telling yourself, each day WILL and does get better and easier.....we are on the road to success!!!

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member southpaw42's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Felix Spiegel
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

Chefjake99 PLEASE SHARE those recipes! I don't like to cook & am not a good cook so I'll take any help I can get!!

Gastric Sleeve Member southpaw42's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Felix Spiegel
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I know I'm not hungry when my stomach talks & knew I best not touch the pizza. I had to pay for my surgery so I'm not going to sacrifice that kind of money for a slice of pizza. I figured I'm bored due to just being on clear liquids right now & will continue to pray that Tues gets here before I know it so I can change up the diet a little. I haven't tried any gas relief meds b/c it hasn't been bad enough for me to. I'm also not allow to swallow any pills yet so I just go to bed early at night taking a swig of Nyquil so I can sleep into the next day making it that much closer to Tues LOL!

Gastric Sleeve Member christine53's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    03-01-2015 10:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 84 Times
    Was Thanked 229 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 162 Times
    Blog Entries

the pizza my cause a leak, that is what my Doc when I talked to him about people eating to soon. I ate a bite (small) of mashed potates and I thought I would die. Remember noting is worth it if you hurt yourself or get sick. I was sleeved on the 15th so I am right there with ya. We can do it!