Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Default moist chicken breast lefovers? Possible?

Hi all -
    Ok, so I'm kind of embarrassed to ask because I used to own a restaurant....but it was a breakfast place

I can't seem to handle fats right now due to gallbladder surgery. Since I've been having this trouble for a while pre-surg and it will continue it seems for at least a while more I need help with low fat protein. I had a piece of fish with 10 gms of fat for dinner and I am suffering rather badly right now at 3:30 am.... so being a fix it kind of woman I am looking for solutions for cook ahead foods.
    Cooking stuff on the spot isn't a problem. Next time I steam the fish.

I love chicken and had been eating rotisserie chicken for a long time (sans skin) as a short cut, but it's not sitting right now.
    So far I have not come up with a way to cook up plain chicken breasts ahead and have them be moist or even just not a brick the next time I go to eat some.
    I'm used to steaming them, which is fine the first time; and then using ranch, mayo, or gravy to make them moist the second or third time around.

So, bearing in mind I do not own an outside grill, but do own a foreman type one, a steamer, and other reg cooking stuff....and possess a fair amount of cooking skill....
    give me some thoughts on how to cook them up low to no fat - and have them be ok to dig into for a couple days.... please
    This old Italian only knows how to make saucy, fatty stuff best.

Oh and to make it worse I have to be very careful of msg and I detest teriyaki type flavoring or anything that even smells like a far east restaurant.
    So, plain-ish and moist? Is it possible the second time around or do I just have to cook fresh every time? If so, I'll deal but hey if you have a whole bunch of folks to ask, why not?

Any thoughts?
    thanks!
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Cynthia
    Surgery date
    02/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Alvarez
    Last Activity
    07-30-2014 02:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 80 Times in 78 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 615 Times

Default Re: moist chicken breast lefovers? Possible?

Sorry not much of a cook!!!!! I usually eat with my sister!!!!! She and I both have found that protein goes down easier IF ITS FRESH!!!!! It seems reheating dries it out and doesn't go down very well!!!!! She was sleeved 1/4/13 and my surgery was 2/1/13!!!!!! I've been taking cheese sticks and Greek yogurt to work and a friend of mine used to take beef jerky!!!!! But other than broth and low fat cream soups in a crockpot with chicken I just do t have any good ideas!!!!! Best of luck!!!!!!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member WayLessInNH's Avatar
    Name
    Terri
    Surgery date
    08/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gould
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 08:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

For a quick wrap with no bread.....

Cut up previously cooked chicken breast into small pieces. Toss with diet/non fat ranch dressing. Wrap this in a lettuce leaf.

I've had my gallbladder out for almost 10 years now and fatty foods still bother me. Good luck on finding the right foods that work for you. If I choose to each something that I know will cause trouble (fatty foods), I will prevent some of the after-effects by taking Imodium AD before, during or right after.

6. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

I like to cook things in mediterranean sorts of flavours, so I cook chicken in a sauce of peeled tinned chopped tomatoes, garlic, some onion, and then various mediterranean herbs (sometimes use a pre-mix, other times throw in bits and pieces of my own) - bay, oregano, basil, and even some rosemary which I have fresh in the garden. I will dry cook in a non-stick pan for the first few minutes to get a little char-grill flavour on the outside, then put in with the other stuff to keep it moist and finish cooking more like a casserole. Sometimes add a splash of wine. I happily eat it then for leftovers because being in the sauce keeps it moist. I like cold chicken leftovers, so good in wraps etc for lunch too if you like.

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WayLessInNH View Post
    For a quick wrap with no bread.....

Cut up previously cooked chicken breast into small pieces. Toss with diet/non fat ranch dressing. Wrap this in a lettuce leaf.

I've had my gallbladder out for almost 10 years now and fatty foods still bother me. Good luck on finding the right foods that work for you. If I choose to each something that I know will cause trouble (fatty foods), I will prevent some of the after-effects by taking Imodium AD before, during or right after.
    Thanks for reminding me about lettuce rolls, I'll pick up some butter lettuce today. and thanks the imodium hint. I have IBS-C and so far no issues with needing that, I'm still as bound up as usual.... I'm using bile salts, mega-enzymes and probiotics along with milk thistle at this point. I was great all day yesterday and it was only a problem in the middle of the night when my stomach was really empty...so I'm hoping it's leftover yuck from the gallbladder being non functional for nearly 4 months but it's obvious I will need to eat low fat for a good while anyway, just because it seems to tweak the whole area when I don't. Since I already have to count every carb and protein gram for my hypoglycemia, it's just annoying. Fat WAS the one thing I could just eat. grr....
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by niamh View Post
    I like to cook things in mediterranean sorts of flavours, so I cook chicken in a sauce of peeled tinned chopped tomatoes, garlic, some onion, and then various mediterranean herbs (sometimes use a pre-mix, other times throw in bits and pieces of my own) - bay, oregano, basil, and even some rosemary which I have fresh in the garden. I will dry cook in a non-stick pan for the first few minutes to get a little char-grill flavour on the outside, then put in with the other stuff to keep it moist and finish cooking more like a casserole. Sometimes add a splash of wine. I happily eat it then for leftovers because being in the sauce keeps it moist. I like cold chicken leftovers, so good in wraps etc for lunch too if you like.
    Sounds lovely - rather like cacciatore but less fatty. Yum

Name
    Jill
    Surgery date
    10/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Oliak
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 569 Times in 561 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

What about using a crockpot to cook your chicken in? I will throw 2 chicken breasts in there (and this is 4 meals for me) with either cream of mushroom soup, or crushed tomatoes with feta cheese, or bbq suace, or whatever you want to use.

Start weight: 286 (8/28/12)
    Pre-op weight: 272 (10/22/12)
    Goal to weigh what my drivers license says: 225 (3/9/13)
    First goal weight: 199 (7/20/13)
    Second goal weight: 186 - 100 lbs lost ( )
    Third goal weight: 175 ( )
    Fourth goal weight: 150 ( )
    Final goal weight: remains to be seen

Name
    Brigitte
    Surgery date
    08/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times
    Was Thanked 400 Times in 330 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 140 Times

With leftover chicken breasts, you could make some chili or soups, like lentil.

I love chicken lentil soup. When I make chicken stock I use old laying hens, and I always reserve some stock for a lentil soup. There is not much tender meat on them but the bits of meat from those skinny girls sure do well in lentil soup. Do you need a recipe?
    Nov. 15/17 - re-sleeve, hiatal hernia repair, gallbladder removal with Dr. A. Lopez from AloBariatrics in Puerto Vallarta