Dr. Gould
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 08:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Smile Hair loss prevention

I am in the middle of getting my ducks in order to get authorized for my sleeve. This process started in Nov. 2012. One of my big concerns is hair loss. I have long (really long) blonde hair that has taken forever to grow because I have hypothyroidism. I know that my hair is not as important as my journey to be healthy but I sure would like to try to prevent as much of the hair loss that I can.

Could other sleevers please give me tips on what I should do, take, purchase, etc.

Thanks so much!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Danielle
    Surgery date
    05/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Murphy
    Last Activity
    06-06-2015 12:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 66 Times
    Was Thanked 134 Times in 121 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 336 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hair loss prevention

Not everyone experiences the hairloss so we'll keep our fingers crossed that you're among that lucky percentage!! To be on the safe side I suggest that you start taking Biotin now, it will help strengthen and nourish your hair ... i didn't know about the hair loss issues until after my surgery right before it started happening so i felt like i was trying to play catch up with it. I still take 2 - 5,000mcg tablets each day - one in the morning with breakfast and one at night with my dinner but my loss has stopped, it started around the 2nd month and ended right around month 6-7. Also, invest in a good detangling spray. I know a lot of my hair loss issues were because i wasn't very careful when i brushed out my long curly hair in the beginning, so when i broke through the tangles it tended to pull the hair out so BE GENTLE with your hair after surgery. I actually started using Garnier Fructise "Fall Fight" shampoo & conditioner at one point and it left my hair silky and easier to comb through so I'm going to suggest anything that will help you cut through the tangles easily. Hope that helps a little!

November 3, 2011 - First Visit to Bariatric Center 277 lbs
    May 1, 2012 - Start pre-op diet 251 lbs
    May 22, 2012 - Surgery weight 236 lbs
    May 22, 2013 - 1 year anniversary 160 lbs

The more you love your decisions, the less you need others to love them too

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member bergamini's Avatar
    Name
    John
    Surgery date
    11/30/2012
    Surgeon
    Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    05-20-2020 10:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 174 Times
    Was Thanked 147 Times in 122 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 122 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm 97 days in and haven't lost a strand of hair that I've noticed. I followed everyone's advice and took the Biotin. I also took a fantastic multi-vitamin and a high EPA/DHA fish oil supplement -- a lot of them are cheap and don't have the good nutrients but Barlean's Fresh Catch Orange has high levels and comes in liquid form which is actually delicious. I also was vigilant about getting 75++ grams of good protein in per day.

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Forrester
    Last Activity
    07-15-2014 03:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 208 Times in 188 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 263 Times
    Blog Entries

i'm one of the unlucky ones. ive lost half my hair, its evenly spread on the scalp...so its just THIN. very very thin. biotin will help the hair stay healthy and grow in healthy but will do nothing for the actual loss. its related to several factors...here is a good explanation:

Telogen Effluvium

When your body goes through something traumatic like child birth, malnutrition, a severe infection, major surgery, or extreme stress, it can impact your hair. Many of the 90% or so of hairs in the growing (anagen) or transitional (catagen) phases can actually shift all at once into the resting (telogen) phase.

About six weeks to three months after the stressful event, the shedding phenomenon called telogen effluvium may begin. It is possible to lose handfuls of hair at a time when in full-blown telogen effluvium.
    (taken from webmd site)

On the bright side, it DOES stop. Absolutely NOTHING can be done to prevent it though...although lots of us tried. You can do several things to help it grow back in quickly or slow the loss, but what is going to fall out, IS going to fall out. Once it goes into that stage, there is no going back.

Pounds LOST since surgery 111
    Finally reached Onderland 3/1/2013
    Height 5'3" Small frame
    Starting BMI day of surgery : 45.7 MORBIDLY OBESE CLASS 3
    BMI current 26.0 OVERWEIGHT

my first goal is to get to 141pounds, that will put me in the NORMAL range bmi. My second goal is 120, which is thin and healthy.

Name
    Robin Benson
    Surgery date
    06/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jacobo Zafrani
    Last Activity
    03-09-2016 11:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,967 Times

I am 8 months post op. I have never lost any hair. I drink a premier protein shake in the morning and have 2 meals with protein. I do not take biotin or any other vitamins. My levels are all good. I have more energy than I ever have and even though I am only eating a small portion of food, I eat healthier than ever. I am also off of all medications, including blood pressure meds, restless leg meds, rheumatiod arthritis meds, and sleeping pills. I had a hysterectomy a couple of months ago with removal of my ovaries and so far no menopause symptoms. I am so thankful for this new life! Almost at the century club with 94 lbs lost!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    01/10/2013
    Last Activity
    12-18-2013 01:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times

I had hair past my butt a couple of weeks ago. Now it's about bra strap length. You can try Monistat (seriously, if you google "Monistat hair growth" my before and after pictures show up. I have coppery hair, so it's easy to tell it's me.) Some other people on the forum are getting results (from what I understand) with the Monistat. Others swear by biotin or iron. You might just have to experiment with what helps you.

I didn't cut my hair due to hair loss. I just wanted to start fresh.
    I'm not flashing a pseudo-gang sign. I'm pointing at my awesome Picture Me Broken shirt..

Gastric Sleeve Member TheAvonLady's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/31/2011
    Surgeon
    Malley and Fearing
    Last Activity
    04-28-2015 10:23 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

From everything I read and was told by the surgeons and dietitian the hair loss is from low protein. I have ery fine hair but a lot of it. My hair is very strange...it grows in the front like crazy but barely grows in the back and on the sides. I never lost any hair but I Always made sure I got my protein in first and never had a problem.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Little Bits
    Surgery date
    06/19/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michael Peters
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

Eat your protein, take biotin & purchase Nioxin shampoo & scalp I only hadmild shedding...and I overreacted to that!!!. Smh

Gastric Sleeve Member CaroleCan'tWait's Avatar
    Name
    Carole
    Surgery date
    11/15/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ali Mir
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

This is all great advice, thanks everyone! I was cocky at first, because I started on 5,000 mg of biotin way before surgery, and 2 months after, everything was fine. Then, 3rd month out -- BOOM! My hairline was receding on the right side, and my hairbrush was just full of hair everyday. Won't even discuss the hair left in the shower. And my hair just felt "lighter", like I'd had a major haircut. It depressed me at first, have to admit. Thought I had missed that boat. But I'll deal with it, take everyone's advice, and hope it grows back soon. Great forum!