Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-20-2014 09:12 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 370 Times
    Blog Entries

Default That was not easy finding a post op dr.

My dr that I have seen for the last 9 yeas turned me down for being my dr after my surgery because Im leaving the states for surgery what a jerk and I told him so. I have been loyal paid all my bills. I abutdied this morning when i went in to talk to him and let him know what was going on and to get some post op questions answered like stitches and if there were anyforms i needed to fill out so Dr Almanza office could send my records to my dr here. He basically laughed at me and told me Im not thinking straight. WOW! So I came home called around and was turned down all around town here. Then I remember the big sign that says if your sick or need a dr call the henderson nebraska drs they will see you today. So I called them and I talked to the receptionist waiting for the no andshe says here let me get you the nurse. The nurse asks me two questions and says how about you come in and meet your dr before surgery so we can set up a time for you to come in after the surgery to make sure there is no ifection and take the stitches out. She also said we will go over some other things while your here. I have 100% faith in DR Almanza and its pretty sad that people are so terrible in the united states that they act like its a crime that you are not using an american dr..

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member ItCldBeSweet's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Stephanie
    Surgery date
    03/27/2013
    Surgeon
    DR QUINONES
    Last Activity
    06-20-2018 11:22 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 399 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: That was not easy finding a post op dr.

That is terrible. I have an appt with my Dr on 3/18/13 (my surgery is on 3/27/13) I haven't told my Dr about my surgery yet but plan to on the 18th. Say a prayer for me that I don't get shot down as well! The Doctors in the US who turn us down are just mad because we didn't have our surgery here! Its all a money racket in the US!

Name
    Jill
    Surgery date
    10/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Oliak
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 569 Times in 561 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

Wow really? Sorry to hear this.

Start weight: 286 (8/28/12)
    Pre-op weight: 272 (10/22/12)
    Goal to weigh what my drivers license says: 225 (3/9/13)
    First goal weight: 199 (7/20/13)
    Second goal weight: 186 - 100 lbs lost ( )
    Third goal weight: 175 ( )
    Fourth goal weight: 150 ( )
    Final goal weight: remains to be seen

Gastric Sleeve Member teresaloves2trvl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brad Snyder
    Last Activity
    01-03-2016 04:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't believe it's sour grapes on the doctor's part, but more a fear of liability. We are a sue happy society. I do, however know that Memorial Hermann in Houston DOES treat patients who have had their surgery in Mexico as a nurse told me they sometimes come here for treatment if they have complications. And complications do happen so it's wise to know where you will go if that happens to you. Kudos to her for planning ahead.

Name
    Robin Benson
    Surgery date
    06/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jacobo Zafrani
    Last Activity
    03-09-2016 11:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,967 Times

This is one thing that I was most nervous about. Thankfully, the first doctor I tried was awesome. He praised me for taking my hold of my body and health. He has been a great person to have in my corner. He is a general practitioner but does a lot of research on weight loss and sees several bariatric patients.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brad Watkins
    Last Activity
    09-24-2013 09:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

A friend if mine had the sleeve in Mexcio and her primary care physician did not want to follow up not because they didn't want her to do the surgery in Mexico but because baristric was not in their scope of practice and they didn't want to miss something. Instead of finding a new primary doctor call your local baristric or weight loss center and they more than likely will say yes to the follow up. It's what they do! Just like you wouldn't go to a foot doctor for pain in your elbow, don't go to a general practictioner for something that is very specific. Good luck.
    "Always remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." ~ A.A. Milne (Winnie the Pooh)

Prep start: 319 (2/13/13) Surgery day: 297 (2/27/13) 1st week: 290 (3/6/2013) 1st month: 278 (3/27/13)
    2 mos: 265 (4/27/13), 3 mos: 259.8 (5/27/13),
    6 mos: - (8/27/13), 9 mos: - (11/27/13), 1 year: - (2/27/14)

Name
    Toni Lee
    Surgery date
    04/02/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    03-19-2014 08:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times
    Blog Entries

Sigh...so so sorry that you had to go through this! It is stressful and upsetting to say the least. I'm probably next

My doctor is against me having the surgery PERIOD! Can you imagine what he's gonna do/say when I tell him I'm going to Tijuana to have the VSG????

I think Teresa is probably right that much of the refusal has to do with liability. America is a very litigious society and people are quick to place blame on others when something goes wrong.

I just posted under another thread about the lost trust I have in some American doctors. What happened to you only confirms what I think and feel about many physicians. Hang in there.

As an aside, I don't know about your insurance in York Nebraska. However, I was told by three different sources from MiBCN (Blue Cross of Michigan) that "if I feel ill or sick in any way, even if it is related to an out-of-pocket, out-of-country complication to the sleeve surgery, I must get to an E.R. where I WILL receive EMERGENCY services."

Seems to make sense because as the source stated "no one at Blue Cross can or SHOULD make a determination about a routine and/or emergency situation over the phone...that is not their role...it is NOT for Blue Care Blue Cross to make a determination about coverage for some unknown medical condition that could be fatal, blah, blah, blah."

Now bear in mind they are talking about EMERGENCY care and not ROUTINE care. Sad.

Don't know if this makes sense but please keep us posted and HANG IN THERE!!!

It will be alright.

Gastric Sleeve Member connielsmith's Avatar
    Name
    Connie
    Surgery date
    06/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    02-16-2014 06:41 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times

I didn't tell my doctor untill I got back. I did call my insurance to see if they would cover me if somthing happened to me. If you are admitted to the hospital( through the ER) in the u.s. they have to cover you. 30 days after I had my surgery I went in and spoke to my doctor he has been so excited in my changes and very happy for me. He knew of my struggles with weight. He tryed to help me get the surgery here in the states but I would have had to gain 40 to 50 more pounds. Forget it. I am down 56-lbs. Went from a size 20 to an 8 so far. I weigh 179-lbs. Chol. was 247 now 141, I am just so much heathier. I love my new wife. It is amazing. I had my surgery in Mexico at MI hospital and had Dr. Garcia. I had no problems. I just want to lose 20 to 40 more.......

Gastric Sleeve Member dmgriffith92's Avatar
    Name
    Dawn Griffith
    Surgery date
    03/22/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-20-2014 09:12 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 370 Times
    Blog Entries

Oh thank you everyone I do have blue shield blue cross so I think going to the ER is the safest thing to do then. I have found a dr to take out my stitches and is willing to help out where she can but it took me a while today to find someone to just agree to take the stiches out because I read on here that some people have been taking them out to soon and I really don't want to be one of those people.

Gastric Sleeve Member connielsmith's Avatar
    Name
    Connie
    Surgery date
    06/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    02-16-2014 06:41 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times

I didn't have any stitches to take out. They all disolved...

Gastric Sleeve Member Sunflower's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    09-08-2013 09:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 682 Times
    Was Thanked 704 Times in 669 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 550 Times

Sorry you ewent through this. I was too scared to tell my doctor until after I returned from Mexico already sleeved. But I had an appointment scheduled with her the day after I returned. She was awesome about it and even emailed with my surgeon in Mexico to get his orders for my aftercare. She also took his information so she could refer other patients interested in going the same route I took to get sleeved.

Fast Weight loss Online at the Weight Loss Center

Gastric Sleeve Member teresaloves2trvl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brad Snyder
    Last Activity
    01-03-2016 04:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tonilee2 View Post
    Sigh...so so sorry that you had to go through this! It is stressful and upsetting to say the least. I'm probably next

My doctor is against me having the surgery PERIOD! Can you imagine what he's gonna do/say when I tell him I'm going to Tijuana to have the VSG????

I think Teresa is probably right that much of the refusal has to do with liability. America is a very litigious society and people are quick to place blame on others when something goes wrong.

I just posted under another thread about the lost trust I have in some American doctors. What happened to you only confirms what I think and feel about many physicians. Hang in there.

As an aside, I don't know about your insurance in York Nebraska. However, I was told by three different sources from MiBCN (Blue Cross of Michigan) that "if I feel ill or sick in any way, even if it is related to an out-of-pocket, out-of-country complication to the sleeve surgery, I must get to an E.R. where I WILL receive EMERGENCY services."

Seems to make sense because as the source stated "no one at Blue Cross can or SHOULD make a determination about a routine and/or emergency situation over the phone...that is not their role...it is NOT for Blue Care Blue Cross to make a determination about coverage for some unknown medical condition that could be fatal, blah, blah, blah."

Now bear in mind they are talking about EMERGENCY care and not ROUTINE care. Sad.

Don't know if this makes sense but please keep us posted and HANG IN THERE!!!

It will be alright.
    That's good to know but I wonder what happens if they admit you? And what about aftercare?