Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-16-2014 05:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 645 Times
    Was Thanked 491 Times in 418 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 493 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dr. Almanza? To good to be true?

What, Brigitte? You mean you have not gotten your $5 COUPON towards your NEXT Sleeve surgery for every positive post you put on the forum about Dr. Almanza? Hilarious!
    I wonder what happens to the folks who post negatively about Dr. Almanza and/or Jerusalem (and there have been PLENTY of them). Firing Squad?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member bergamini's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    John
    Surgery date
    11/30/2012
    Surgeon
    Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    05-20-2020 10:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 174 Times
    Was Thanked 147 Times in 122 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 122 Times
    Blog Entries

When I was searching for a surgeon in late October / early November, I was very publicly posting about my anguish. At no times was I contacted by any surgeon or group as a result of my participation on this web site. I did receive candid reviews from many patients of many doctors, and I appreciated them and I did give some more weight to the more thoughtful and less biased reviews. I see the Almanza ads but I'm not sure the relationship. I know there have been plenty of critical posts of quantity of patients by Almanza, and they've never been censored so I feel the site is run fairly from what I can see. Of course there are many positive Almanza reviews but he's probably the busiest surgeon so that makes sense that he'd have the most of everything -- good and bad. The only things I could find was that it appears Quinones gives some patients a discount if they refer others, but that's it. The only other coordinators I've seen are for plastics and the board admin has approved that. Frankly, a lot of those deep on the loser's bench want that so I don't have a problem with it. This isn't a web site about plastics so it doesn't affect the neutrality if it's done tastefully, and it has been.

My concern is that there is an anti-Tijuana prejudice fueling some of this. I'm sorry that my health insurance from my full-time +++ job, that I had to get a Master's degree to get, doesn't cover WLS and I'm sorry that, just like everyone else here, diets failed me. And I'm sorry that I didn't want to pay $20K+ for something local that I have seen hundreds of people happy with by paying 25% of that. I wanted a chance at wellness and I took it, and I paid much more out of pocket than almost all of these judgmental people who boast of the state of the art facilities they had when it was big business or the government who paid for theirs anyway. (Note that's not most of you -- who've been incredibly supportive -- but there is an underlying current from some members about them receiving superior treatment because they got someone else to pay for it in the US and the rest of us aren't as lucky.) Just my $0.02.

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Jeannie
    Surgery date
    01/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-02-2015 07:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 144 Times
    Blog Entries

Jane, there are 1000 raves on this site about Dr Almanza because he does such a good job. I went there, I am not a "PAID" cheerleader for him but I would recommend him to anyone who cannot afford the USA prices or do not have insurance such as You obviously did. Why dont you leave the mexico doctors alone????????? And mind your own business about him or any other mexican Dr because you obviously do not know what you are talking about in this subject!

309 lbs before pre-op diet.
    297 lbs day of surgery.
    275 lbs 2/19/13 1 month post 34 lbs less!
    265 3/15/13 2 months post 44 lbs less!
    253 4/15/13 3 months post 56 lbs less!
    246 5/15/13 4 months post 63 lbs less!
    238 6/15/13 5 months post 71 lbs less!
    231 7/15/13 6 months post 78 lbs less!
    222 8/15/13 7 months post 87 lbs less!

Gastric Sleeve Member Dee Leshuz's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2012
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 579 Times in 506 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 165 Times

Wait a minute. There ARE people who've gotten bashed simply for pointing out that Almanza et al make mistakes sometimes. I don't think this forum benefits from that behavior. I don't know if those people are recruiters or what but you do get discounts for the more people you refer to Almanza.

I know this b/c I was WAS going to go to Almanza but my insurance changed their mind and decided to sleeve me. The person who referred me to Almanza was going to get a discount, as was I. It's my belief that there are more people who get discounts than there are recruiters.

http://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/t...-mistakes.html

And I've seen some nasty drag out fights about Dr. Quinones-it may simply be a case of "My Dr. is perfect" I have no idea. I have no doubt that he too is an effective Dr. as well; I've seen a lot of good reviews about him and I've also seen offers for discounts, so this seems to be very common.

These are the only doctors I've seen garner such dramatic reactions but I've only been here 2 years.

I think medical tourism can be safe and effective in Mexico but you need to do your homework.When it's time I'm getting half my plastics here and half in Mexico.

PJ-you do yourself a BIG disservice when you refuse to post my quotes in context. There is something to your words, but not all the facts are known in all cases so I wouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions. I would read the old threads here for more info and I suggest that to everyone who wants more info about doctors, surgeries, etc.

As far as recruiters I would just like everything above board and like to know who is working for what doctor-I can make up my own mind w/out sending them underground so you DON'T know who is who. If Almanza, Alvarez etc. are going to advertise here I don't see why everyone else can't. If you think about it it's happening anyway so why keep it a "secret"?
    Starting weight: 255
    Pre-op weight: 228
    Surgery date: 3/14/2012

Name
    Jeannie
    Surgery date
    01/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-02-2015 07:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 144 Times
    Blog Entries

My husband got his sleeve 6 weeks after I did with Dr Almanza....Sure didnt get any discount so I dont know where you got that from that people get discounts when they refer someone.

309 lbs before pre-op diet.
    297 lbs day of surgery.
    275 lbs 2/19/13 1 month post 34 lbs less!
    265 3/15/13 2 months post 44 lbs less!
    253 4/15/13 3 months post 56 lbs less!
    246 5/15/13 4 months post 63 lbs less!
    238 6/15/13 5 months post 71 lbs less!
    231 7/15/13 6 months post 78 lbs less!
    222 8/15/13 7 months post 87 lbs less!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Banned
    Name
    Christy
    Surgery date
    09/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-16-2014 05:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 645 Times
    Was Thanked 491 Times in 418 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 493 Times
    Blog Entries

Actually, Jerusalem use to give Referral discounts towards future surgeries like plastics. Dont know if they still do. But, the referral had to book and have the surgery before a discount was applied toward the referral source's next surgery. This is common in TJ. I give them to Dr Niebles' patients. $250 each up to $1000.

Name
    Joetta
    Surgery date
    08/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza-reyes
    Last Activity
    09-26-2013 03:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,960 Times

Same here... I'm a real person in Ky. who was fat, now I'm not. Thanks to Dr. Almanza and his awesome team...

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Dee Leshuz's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2012
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 579 Times in 506 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 165 Times

Both my friend and I were booked for sleeve surgeries, both of us got discounts, nothing was said about plastics.

...And I don't have a problem with this, it happens over here, too. I see Drs and spas promoting discounts ALL of the time.

My PS does it if you get more than 3 procedures together (even if he doesn't do them all at once, he likes to spread some of them out) or 10% off if you get another procedure w/in a year.
    Starting weight: 255
    Pre-op weight: 228
    Surgery date: 3/14/2012

Gastric Sleeve Member ItCldBeSweet's Avatar
    Name
    Stephanie
    Surgery date
    03/27/2013
    Surgeon
    DR QUINONES
    Last Activity
    06-20-2018 11:22 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 399 Times
    Blog Entries

For those of us who are self pay....Mexico is an awesome answer to our prayers! I am scheduled with Dr. Quinones on 3/27/13. I chose him because he performs less surgeries a day than other Dr's & have met many people who have had great success with him! I have also read that Dr. Quinones taught Dr. Almanza. & that he continues to teach....I have been in contact with co-ordinators from both Dr. Almanza's office & Dr Quinones. I just felt more comfortable with the co-ordinators from Dr. Quinones's office! Do your research & talk to as many people on here as you can then make your decision!

Gastric Sleeve Member LeahSugar's Avatar
    Name
    Leah
    Surgery date
    04/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-28-2014 01:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Msvetrn , I'm driven nutz by her comments as well and I have NO clue who runs the site who's recruiting patients, etc.... why does it matter?? Do you really think that people are so stupid that they can't just figure stuff on their own or ask questions?? Why do you feel the need to keep making this comment on random people's posts?? It's weird and annoying!

Gastric Sleeve Member bergamini's Avatar
    Name
    John
    Surgery date
    11/30/2012
    Surgeon
    Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    05-20-2020 10:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 174 Times
    Was Thanked 147 Times in 122 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 122 Times
    Blog Entries

Not to fan the flames, but I'm seeing ads from Dr. Alvarez today....so it must not be a solely Almanza sponsored board. I don't know the details and, to that point that freedom of speech is not infringed upon, I don't care about who runs or owns it.

Surgery date
    12/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rashid
    Last Activity
    10-23-2013 10:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

My brother had his surgery last Friday and is doing wonderful! He loved dr Alamanza and the staff. My mom stayed with him and they both loved the people. The only thing is, it's a small clinic type setting in a shopping mall lol. But the care was amazing and my mom said its super clean. The recovery hotel is beautiful too! I'm glad I found Alamanza from his ads on here because it saved my brothers life! His starting weight was 492.
    Starting weight: 260lbs
    Pre-op appointment weight: 243lbs
    Surgery day: 237.6!!!
    Left hospital: 245.6
    First post-op: 228.0!!!!
    Two months post-op: 205 I love this!