Surgeon
    Dr. McDonald
    Last Activity
    01-29-2014 07:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Talking 2 week post op update!

Okay folks, it seems like it's time for an update. I am officially two weeks post-op today! I am feeling pretty good overall though I still get fatigued very easily! I haven't had the energy to do my nails since I got home! (Oh, the horror!)

I have one abdominal muscle that hates me (okay, realistically it hates the fact that it had my stomach yanked out through it, but who's counting?) and my back is trying to compensate, so they tend to be pretty sore, but I'm told that will get better with time.

I get kind of bored not being allowed to do much, so I guess I should grade papers or do lessons plans ahead (WHAT?) or clean my room or something. I do need to organize my clothes before returning to work as I am down almost 20 pounds since the surgery! (Yeah me!!)

I find that some of the the protein drinks have a horrid aftertaste so I continue my quest for something that is manageable or able to be masked. I'm still only on "soft foods" (cheese doodles are soft when you add spit, just an FYI) and in very low quantities (so don't chastise me for my one cheese doodle, cause then I'm full... lol) but seriously, things like cottage cheese, yogurt, boiled chicken etc. and doing well. I'm kind of longing for more variety but "protein, protein, protein" and "sip, sip, sip" are my mantra for at least 4 more weeks. I try to glue a water bottle to my hand, but that does get a bit cumbersome when typing.

Now that I'm two weeks out I can say that I am glad I made this choice (It was touch and go there for awhile, like seriously, what the HELL did I just do?) but it does get better with time and my health is already improving. I monitor my blood pressure regularly and haven't had to take blood pressure medicine since the day I left the hospital!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Luke Stark
    Surgery date
    03/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gee
    Last Activity
    03-17-2015 07:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 278 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 124 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 2 week post op update!

I'm very excited for you! I hope mine goes as easily as your appears to! Best wishes!
    <hr/>
    Bored? Luke's Blog is only happy thoughts. Join me!

Gastric Sleeve Member bestnester's Avatar
    Name
    Chelsea
    Surgery date
    02/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hendricks
    Last Activity
    05-15-2014 02:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

You are doing fabulous! Tomorrow I hit 14 days and I seriously can't believe how quickly time has gone! Keep up the great work!

Name
    Toni Lee
    Surgery date
    04/02/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    03-19-2014 08:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi and congratulations on your surgery and your weight loss! I'm waiting for surgery and will undergo it with Dr. Ariel Ortiz in Tijuana on April 2, 2013. I cannot wait. I am a bit frightened and scared because I will be traveling alone. Also, because I am a nurse practitioner, I have a lot of anticipatory anxiety about all that will happen to me and be done to me before, during and after surgery!

With that being said, I've done quite a bit of research on protein shakes for before and after my surgery. I'm wanting to get in all the required protein post-surgery 'cause I know healing depends on it!

While Dr. Ortiz supports a different line of protein and vitamin supplements, Dr. Alvarez approves the use of Body Fortress Protein Shakes. I've read a lot about them and they seem to be okay. People say they are tasty, as well. I bought a 2 lb jar at Walmart and I've made a couple of shakes. My husband and I did the "taste test"-lolol! Honestly, the vanilla shakes are pretty good! And husband and I added some fruit (banana, strawberries, blueberries) which are no-nos for the first few post-operative weeks but not off limits in the long-run. The shakes both WITH and WITHOUT fillers are very tasty and FILLING!

I have also read nothing but positive reviews about Enjury Brand protein shakes. Available in several flavors (including a chicken broth flavor), people rave about them. Enjury Protein Powder is a bit pricey but I'm going to get some (chicken broth) for my pre-op and immediate post-op time. Will also purchase the chocolate and vanilla for post-op protein!

The flavor of the above mentioned protein shakes (I've not tried Enjury yet but I've read several testimonials) are not unlike Slim Fast...they are just less sweet (not by much). Also, for me, Body Fortress has less of a chemical after-taste than SlimFast.

Good wishes!!!

Surgery date
    02/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Glascock
    Last Activity
    03-31-2015 09:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 55 Times in 54 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 585 Times

Hi Wendy - It sounds like things are going well for you!!! YAY!! I'm 12 days so right behind you . . . . I think I get to start soft foods tomorrow and can hardly wait!! My Dr. did let me start yogurt at 8 days . . . .I couldn't take even one more protein drink. The muscle underneath the incision where they removed my stomach continues to hurt also but everyday gets better. I'm also getting a little bored . . . got out for awhile last night and was sore & tired. I was hoping to go back to work next week but I think I will take one more week off. Last night (where I mostly sat) was a good indication of my energy level and it's not much.

Funny - I had the same feelings about my decision . . . .seriously, I CHOSE to do this to myself?!? It lasted for about 5 days and then I was okay. Congratulations on your weight loss!! Take Care!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Jill
    Surgery date
    10/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Oliak
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 569 Times in 561 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

Sounds like you are off to a great start - I too was pretty wiped out a 2 weeks and even 3, some of us just heal slower than others.

Start weight: 286 (8/28/12)
    Pre-op weight: 272 (10/22/12)
    Goal to weigh what my drivers license says: 225 (3/9/13)
    First goal weight: 199 (7/20/13)
    Second goal weight: 186 - 100 lbs lost ( )
    Third goal weight: 175 ( )
    Fourth goal weight: 150 ( )
    Final goal weight: remains to be seen

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Cynthia
    Surgery date
    02/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Alvarez
    Last Activity
    07-30-2014 02:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 80 Times in 78 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 615 Times

Congrats!!!!! So glad you are doing so well!!!! Thanks for posting and good luck on your journey!!!!! Please keep us posted as it seems you are off to a wonderful start!!!!