Dr. Samuel Wasser
    Last Activity
    09-26-2013 09:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Muscle/strength loss as a result of gastric sleeve

Hello,

I'm in the process of (trying) to get approved for sleeve surgery. I'm 36 years old, 6'1" and 375lbs. Like many people, I was always an athlete and very strong but gained a zillion pounds over the years. I have a substantial amount of muscle that I would like to keep, because frankly, I'd have a fantastic, toned body if all my fat disappeared. I do alot of reading on the subject and haven't yet found alot of info on losing muscle as a result of the low calorie diet. This morning I watched youtube videos by a man similar to me who had the surgery. His weight loss was encouraging. But, he was talking about how much muscle and strength he lost, and as he was touching his arms they more or less looked like flabby sticks of jelly with loose skin. This really scared me.

Any info on muscle loss? If I work out hard, will I be able to retain what I have?

I can't post the link because I am new here, but the youtube video is "Gastric Sleeve - 10 month post-op" by wombatluvr.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member daffiecassie's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Cassie T
    Surgery date
    03/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-28-2013 02:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Muscle/strength loss as a result of gastric sleeve

this web site is amazing! This is where I am going to get my Sleeve done! I have a family friend that went here and got hers done! She has nothing but good stuff to say abought it! Good Luck if you have any questions you can message me. Good Luck!!!! weightlossagents.com

Gastric Sleeve Member Ladylucksbestfriend's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/18/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-13-2013 09:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 70 Times

Remember that everyone's journey is different and his DNA may mean that his weight loss meant extra skin where as someone esle's doesn't. Its difficult to judge your journey by someone else's where the sleeve is concerned. There are so many variations on this site of the way people lose the weight and the way their skin goes back or not. There are even variations on what foods we can eat! Lol. For many of us our health and the potential for a longer life was more important than anything else...of course we all love the aesthetic benefits, but health and longevity are the key as I'm sure it is for you. I say all this to say that yes we can look at others journeys but we also will each likely have a very different experience. As to muscle I think many people lose a little but again I think its about your body/genes, your eating habits (post sleeve) and the work you put into your sleeve such as exercise. Good luck on this journey...I think most of us have no regrets...I know I don't!

Gastric Sleeve Member Socaldixiegal's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    01-04-2017 01:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 177 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Well, I can only give you my moms experience. She lost about 150 lbs with bypass and has maintained that for several years so far. She has lost muscle strength, but also doesn't do any kind of strength building exercises either. Our muscles are helping to carry around all our excess weight too so get a workout on their own (at least I've always pictured it this way). One big thing she noticed is water volleyball which she's always played. Previously, she had nearly 300 lbs behind her hits. Now she has 150. Big difference!

From what I've read, keeping the protein intake high will help prevent muscle loss, but you may lose some too. Strength training would help during the process too.

Starting weight for lap-band = 252
    miserable 5 years later
    Starting weight for VSG = 229
    Pre-op weight = 219

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Tiffany
    Surgery date
    07/05/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clark Ellis Bariatric Center
    Last Activity
    03-11-2013 12:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello,
    I am a new member and was researching muscle loss as I am about 21 months out and started having back issues mid-summer last year. After finally getting an MRI in December I was referred to a neurosurgeon and a physiatry dr (pain management) both of these doctors have stated that due to my bariatric surgery and severe weight loss (I started at 246 and it took me 20 months to get to 130) I have severe muscle loss and weakness so I do not have good support. They are not hopeful that I can rebuild it due to how bad it is and I have now developed severe arthritis. I did a lot of walking and played on a women's volleyball team for exercise, but now I wonder, was that enough? I called my bariatric center and the nurse stated this is not a situation she is familiar with post op patients having. So I joined this site to see if somewhere out there, there were others with this issue. I am out of work, severely depressed, and even small household chores are painful. I have also started contacting attorneys as I relied on the tool of the gastric sleeve to help me become healthy and it has turned my life upside down. I am at a wonderful weight, but what good is it if I can't even lift or play with my 3 grandchildren!! I do not want to scare you, but make you aware of this issue. ASK ASK ASK lots of questions about your muscle tone and how to keep it, I also recommend extra vitamin C & D in some form that your able to tolerate after your surgery. I take a women's one a day multi-vitamin, vitamin B and now my primary care doctor has recommended I also take extra vitamin D. I do have flabby arms, my breasts sag like I am 80 and extra stomach and backside skin. I am a 41 year old female and barely 5' 2'. So at the beginning I was considered severely obese. I do not think I lost the weight too quickly and I am very careful on what I eat and also have increased the amount of protein I take in. The best advice I can give you is ask lots of questions and take extra vitamins, if possible. Hopefully this will help you. Good luck!!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    06/25/2012
    Surgeon
    Gachassin
    Last Activity
    07-27-2013 10:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I was sleeved June 2012 and have gained muscle through exercising with a personal trainer. I am about 50 so I do have hanging skin but I also have good muscle tone and improved strength. Keep in mind that hanging skin has to do with the skin and its elasticity and is not about muscle tone. The ability for the skin to bounce back is about age and your genes. Your muscle tone is about protein and exercise. The bariatric program where I had surgery has you followed by an exercise physiologist in addition to the dietician, she helps in making sure you are not loosing muscle. You do not have to loose muscle/strength as a result of the sleeve with attention to exercise and protein intake.

9. Said thanks: