12/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Leena Khaitan
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Question How do I get started ?

I am 19 years old and I have been struggling with my weight since I was 7 or 8. I need a change and I have been researching this surgery for about 2 months now. I am so ready for a healthy change within my life. I live in Cleveland,Ohio and I have medicaid so I'm just looking for a doctor and I really don't know how to go about doing that. I scheduled a doctors appointment with my primary care doctor to see if I qualify or if he thinks this is a good idea for me. But how do I go about finding a doctor and setting up a consultant and getting on the right path to starting this surgery.
    Jennifer Jackson

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Marcus Reddy
    Last Activity
    03-27-2020 11:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 49 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How do I get started ?

First of all i think its a brave thing you are doing coming on here. speak to your Doctor about it and do research on the procedure. coming here is good but you must remember that the procedure is not reversible, so take your time and think about it. your heart will lead you wisely. I do wish you all the best hun. I struggled with my weight alot. i am not the best person to say if surgery will be good for you or not but i believe that you can make the best of whatever you put your mind to. all the best and keep us posted.
    Its my time.....

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Anne
    Surgery date
    12/26/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Raul Rosenthal
    Last Activity
    02-19-2020 03:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 56 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

I would start researching who is under Medicaid in your area for Bariatric surgery and call and make an appointment. You usually attend an orientation of 1-2 hours before you see a doctor and then will have numerous tests and other evaluations done before surgery as well. I had to have a nutrition class, approval from a psychiatrist, a chest X-ray, ultrasound of my stomach, EKG, full blood work and an endoscopy. Plus I had to have a letter from primary saying diets had been unsuccessful for me in past and another letter clearing me for surgery once the date was nearer. The process took me about 4 months to complete due to scheduling all the tests, etc. Every plan is different.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kelly
    Last Activity
    03-07-2013 04:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I too have researched the weight loss options having been put on my first diet at the age of 8 and on every diet from weight watchers, atkins, grapefruit diet, cabbage soup diet, to Oprah's famous optifast! Only time I successfully lost a large amount of weight was when there wasn't enough food for all three of my kids and myself, so they ate, I didn't. When things got better, the weight came right back on. I've got several friends who have had all three of the WLS options, two have a band, two have had the sleeve, and one has had a bypass. Only the two with the sleeve and the one with the bypass have had good results from their procedures. The two with the band have had problems with their bands and not lost any significant amount of weight, the one with the bypass has had issues with her blood work and needed weekly IV infusions of multi vitamins. The two with the sleeve, I've watched them for the past two years, both have lost down to their ideal weights, both can go out to dinner with family or friends and while eating a lot less, still eat normally, focusing more on conversation and the good time than on the plate in front of them. I've also been lurking in here reading the forums to see what people are saying about their progression. I've decided to go with the sleeve and have had my first Dr's appt, and now have my first nutritionist appt scheduled for next week. I am hoping to have my procedure by the 20th of April. Take your time making up your mind because as another member posted, this is permanent.

Wish you all the best

8. Said thanks: