Surgeon
    Dr. Charles M. Ferguson
    Last Activity
    12-01-2013 02:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Can't seem to find a protein drink I can tolerate the flavor of BEFORE my Pre-op time......

I went to the nutrition class yesterday, and got the requirements I need in the protein shakes for my pre-op days. I went by Wal-Mart and I bought a container of Strawberry whey protein and Vanilla Whey protein because it had the required amounts in it. Got home tested it and about vomited all over the place. But let it be know testing this WAS NOT cheap at all. I can't buy and test everything out there and unlike most of the blogs on here my doctor requires a 14 day pre op protein shake regimen not a 7 day ;( ....... PLEASE someone tell me a good one to try, I am started to get a lot of anxiety about this now.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Linny
    Surgery date
    01/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    05-24-2015 05:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 95 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Can't seem to find a protein drink I can tolerate the flavor of BEFORE my Pre-op time......

Try Premier protein drinks from Costco or Sam's. They are ready to drink and are in the vitamin section. I'm like you...tried several that made me want to puke. These are pretty good and have 30 grams of protein, 160 calories. If you try one and don't like it, those stores will take them back (at least Costco will).

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Dominique
    Surgery date
    12/27/2012
    Surgeon
    DR FEIZ
    Last Activity
    07-22-2013 01:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 44 Times
    Was Thanked 46 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 209 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Can't seem to find a protein drink I can tolerate the flavor of BEFORE my Pre-op time......

I can tolerate the Atkins shakes. They taste the best to me, they only have 15g of protein, so I add a scoop of protein powder to them- I dont use the blender when I add the powder because it makes it too frothy for me. So they make these shaker cups that have a mixing ball inside, I use that and GENTLY shake so I dont get too much froth!

Also I use Bolthouse Farms (sometimes when I want a fruity taste) Mango Protein Plus. I mix it with vanilla greek yogurt and skim milk.

I dont like the protein shakes either, but they are a necessary evil.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Dominique
    Surgery date
    12/27/2012
    Surgeon
    DR FEIZ
    Last Activity
    07-22-2013 01:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 44 Times
    Was Thanked 46 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 209 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindmar View Post
    Try Premier protein drinks from Costco or Sam's. They are ready to drink and are in the vitamin section. I'm like you...tried several that made me want to puke. These are pretty good and have 30 grams of protein, 160 calories. If you try one and don't like it, those stores will take them back (at least Costco will).
    I didnt know that! I bought a case and I only had one- I dont like it. lol So yayyyyy! I can take it back!

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/07/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jorge Leiva
    Said "Thanks" 62 Times
    Was Thanked 143 Times in 129 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,220 Times

I agree on the Atkins shakes. They are at WalMart, ready to drink and they are pretty good. Well the Cafe Caramel and the strawberry banana are really great, and they are relatively cheap
    Good luck to you!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    12/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ben-Meir
    Last Activity
    08-12-2013 10:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 66 Times in 63 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times

I do the Dutch Chocolate Whey Isolate by Nutrabio. I buy it online and they have a lot of other supplements I buy from them. Try buying some PB2, it is a low fat, low calorie powdered peanut butter. Two tablespoons are only 45 calories! What a difference it makes in your shake. You can buy that online also. I am not a fan of vanilla protein, never found one I like, you could try adding some orange mio to it? Also, I use 1% or skim milk for my shakes, maybe do part water, never all water. Good luck on your journey!

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/20/2013
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 172 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 898 Times
    Blog Entries

I am doing he same thing and looked for low calorie/protein ratio with a good taste.
    Ido not have a sweet tooth and found many of the drinks too much for me.
    I purchased the Unjury sample pack as well as other purchases.
    Finally I am settled on the Premier chocolate from Costco (ratio 5.3) and the Unjury chocolate (mixed with water), chicken or unflavored (ratio 4.76)
    I do not plan on buying rage amounts as most say the taste changes post-operatively.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nazdam
    Last Activity
    09-04-2013 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

I am 11 days post-op. Prior to surgery I went and bought several brands and favors of protein drinks (single servings, you are correct they are quite pricey).
    The one that I drink daily (twice a day) is Nectar, chocolate caramel. I mix it with either 1% milk or unsweetened almond milk. Each shake is 24 grams of protein on it's own, the milk adds more. I buy it at the vitamin shoppe and mix it in a container with a wire ball it mixes easily. Once it is mixed I add a few ice cubes and sip away. I hope this helps you out, good luck.

Jo-Ann

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member lookitsabird's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Jinnie Bruce,MD
    Last Activity
    01-22-2015 12:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 60 Times
    Blog Entries

nectar and unjury are my fav's. I like the choc splender, but it is sweeter than I like now that I am sleeved.

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member WayLessInNH's Avatar
    Name
    Terri
    Surgery date
    08/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gould
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 08:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Google Nashua Nutrition in Nashua, New Hampshire. You can order samples of each of the many different Bariatric/Protein shakes that they have. Each sample is 1 serving and costs $1.95. I was also able to find a coupon code online for free shipping. They even sent me a free protein bar and a pack of protein pudding. So far the best one I have tried has been the Bariatric Fusion Brand, Orange Cream. I made a shake out of it with ice and water in the blender.....MMMMMM. Yummay!