Dr Vidur Jyoti
    Last Activity
    09-29-2013 02:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default I am so glad, 6 days post-op!

Hi

I have trouble to register but also want to share my story! My whole life was a struggle with weight, I was born like this, always the big girl in the family. 4 years ago I want to do the RY but was talked out of it by friends that only know the most grusome experience other people haved.

After about a year of strict dieting, 2 hours per day gym, I lost about 27 kg but it took not even 3 years to put it on al again, now I was at ends meet, 4 years ago the chirury was something I could manage in South-Africa, but the cost dit go up drastically and I just know it cannot be done. Think a lot of prayers did go into it.

One evening, I dont know why, I start to research medical tourism, I was shocked at the initial prices of operations. Asking for quotes and at the end have more or less 3 places to chooce from, India, Mexico and South America, with the price more or less the same.

I decide on India, the shorter distance to travel, the fact that the facilities has good ratings, etc. The company I decided on was Indicure, they or rather Dr Ruchica Malhorta was amazing through the last 6 months. Answers all my questions, promply and with details. Then I discover this forum and was a bid sad and shock when I read all your good testomonies and experiences in Mexico but I but my flight ticket about 6 months back and would be to costly to chance it, so I decide to go forward, with India, and how glad I am for that.

I flight on the 28/01/2013 from Cape Town to South-Africa, stay a day in Doha and fly early the morning of the 30th to Delhi, I think in my heart I hope it was only a scam, that there would no one be wainting for me, that it is not real, one have very funny thoughts and whishes with your fears. The taxi driver was waiting for me with a board with my name on and I was take directly to Columbia Asia Hospital. Admission was shift and then I was accompany to my room, even if I asked to share, the give me, my own room, for the same price of $5 500. Then 2 days of test did follow, anything you can name, several bloodtests, EGG, Heart ecogram, Chest X rays, Gastroscopy, full abdominal sonar, more than the doctor previously even asked in South-Africa.

People to my room was a constant flow, someone only looking after International patients, customer care, a phycisian, two dieticains, one that make sure that the kitchen send every or rather fluid diet correctly to my room and dont forget my unforgettable surgeon, Dr Vidur Jyoti, all were amazing, even the nursing staff of the hospital. He even bring of his patient that was 2 months post-op to come and visit me, the Thursday night before surgery, she was so healthy, postive, smiling and telling me that from the beginning, she embrace her change. It was a wonderful experience, something I could not put into words, it help so much to calm my nerves the night before surgery.

I have my sleeve on the 1 February 2013, reading of all your posivite experience, I did not imagine so much pain, that is all that I can say, it was not an easy first 2 days, but then I also remember and was sure if I would write something in those times, someone of you would comment, hang on there, it is getting better and yes it did get better. I did get my painstillers on time and it help alot but there is still the movement, the all new and strange things that suddenly happen to your body.

Sonday, I thought would be the day to be discharge but no, the dr Joyti, dicide I would stay untill Monday, only to hear no, I would go home on Thuesday, due to my drain, he wants to keep in, I was sure, it was only to make sure that I get the correct diet. Felt most quilty, like in most countries like in South-Africa, we have management healthcare, that determine how many days, you may stay in a hospital and I can ensure you, not 4 days post operative like I did, in India.

Then I booked in a nice hotel in India, take my shakes and will go for a follow up this evening to the Dr Jyoti, for him to change my dressings, that was also amazing, he did al these things for me, no nursing sister.

The hospital is one of the best, I am also a Profesional nurse, no problems with infection control, staff that was very friendly, my room was big, with a flat screen tv, bunk for my companian, that also would be cater for with my stay in the hospital but I did it alone. I am so glad and thankfull that I decide on India and hope that if someone is wondering of dont know, you will be look well after.

Last but not least thank you very much for each of you on this forum, you did help me immensly with information, I burst out of laugh two day ago when someone decribe that now she has find some protein shake that dont taste like poop and I definetly know what she was talking about.

Thank you very much, you are awesome bunch of people.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Scubagecko's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    David
    Surgery date
    12/20/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sang-Moon Han
    Last Activity
    12-15-2020 03:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 95 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 98 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 100 Times

Default Re: I am so glad, 6 days post-op!

Wow that was quite a story. I've been to Cape Town a couple of times so I know that flying to India from there is a couple of long flights. You have demonstrated your desire to get sleeved and healthy that's fantastic. Welcome to the site. Keep us posted on your progress.

Total inches lost to date 38.6 inches 98.0 cm
    Highest weight 325
    1st Goal - below 300 (12/12/30) 9 days after surgery'
    2nd Goal - 265 weight I met my wife (13/2/23)
    3rd Goal - 250 lowest weight in my 30's (15/4/2013)
    4th Goal - 215 lowest weight as an adult ()
    5th Goal - below 200 ()

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Jill
    Surgery date
    10/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Oliak
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 569 Times in 561 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

Congratulations and best wishes on your journey

Start weight: 286 (8/28/12)
    Pre-op weight: 272 (10/22/12)
    Goal to weigh what my drivers license says: 225 (3/9/13)
    First goal weight: 199 (7/20/13)
    Second goal weight: 186 - 100 lbs lost ( )
    Third goal weight: 175 ( )
    Fourth goal weight: 150 ( )
    Final goal weight: remains to be seen

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member bookwrmmom's Avatar
    Name
    Chrissy
    Surgery date
    06/25/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Enochs
    Last Activity
    01-20-2015 08:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 128 Times in 121 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 432 Times
    Blog Entries

Congratulations and welcome to the Sleeved side!! I am so glad that you shared your story with us, and that your experience in India was wonderful. International surgeries are the only way that some are able to afford the surgery, and sharing with others about quality of care is so very important. I am a big believer in everyone educating themselves as much as possible about their choice in surgeon, and that would not be possible if not for people sharing their experiences. Please keep us posted and let us know when you are home safe and sound!!

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member marilynlw's Avatar
    Name
    Marilyn
    Surgery date
    11/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Lorenzo
    Last Activity
    01-02-2014 02:32 PM
    Oahu, Hawaii we moved from Ohio to wormer weather.
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 742 Times in 711 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,174 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting. I have done some research in the past about Medical Tourism. India is one of the places that was highly recommended and I have heard great things about some of the facilities and the great care. I am so glad you were able to take advantage of their services. It is just ashamed that we some times have to travel so far to get affordable medical care. I wish for you all the best on your journey to a healthier and happier new you. Keep us posted on your recovery and successful journey.

Highest weight 440 lbs. lowest weight 9.5 lbs at birth
    Date of surgery weight 340
    12 week checkup 301 BMI <50 yeah!
    Weight on birthday 3/24/48 Goal 285 would be nice.

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member ladylushT's Avatar
    Name
    Kesha
    Surgery date
    01/31/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Weaver
    Last Activity
    01-06-2016 12:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 63 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome. To the forum and the sleeved side!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Lou
    Surgery date
    08/21/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Heyns (RSA)
    Last Activity
    07-23-2014 10:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Hello, I'm also from South Africa, live in the Free State. Had my sleeve done August 21st in Bloemfontein. My medical aid approved it after about 6 months of waiting. My bill was over R120 000 so could you imagine paying that out of your own pocket? So greatful that I was able to have it done through them though. Congrats on your sleeve and scream if you want to chat or need some support.

Highest Weight = 139.7kg (307.34 lbs)
    Weight on surgery date 21/08/2012 = 133kg (292.60 lbs)

Name
    Nicki Glover
    Surgery date
    02/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    08-30-2017 10:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 40 Times
    Blog Entries

I loved reading your experience in India. Best wishes

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Robin Benson
    Surgery date
    06/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jacobo Zafrani
    Last Activity
    03-09-2016 11:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,967 Times

India is one of the places that my insurance pays for us to travel to for surgeries. I decided on Costa Rica for my sleeve surgery and had an awesome experience there. I would definitely do it over again. My husband's company hires IndusHealth who partnered with Medical Tours in Costa Rica. I had a great time while there.