Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Frustrated Newbie--HOW DO I KNOW when I'm full?!

I did what Terry did. I measured everything. 1/4 cup was it the first 6 wks. I could cram 1/3 cup down but it hurt after 20 min when it all got down and settled. Then when I got to 1/2 cup at 8 wks out that was it for about 3 months. Do eat slowly. If you find your food gets cold, try a baby warming dish. Use an infant spoon at first, then a toddler spoon. Sit. Eat. Do nothing else. No TV, No books. Just eat. Taste it, Enjoy it, note texture, the little lumps of peach in the yogurt maybe. I still can't eat more than about 1 1/2 cups of mushy food like thick soup, or 5 oz of dense protein and I'm 18 mo out and my pouch is now "full sized". It's easier if you have some special small plates and cups for yourself. I have some 4 inch bread plates for reg food, and 1/2 cup and 1 cup ramekins for liquid-y meals. Then it doesn't look so tiny on big plates and bowls. As far as knowing when to say when, I also noted in my journals that I would feel gurgles and then maybe belch and I'd better stop there. Just listen to your pouch "she" will tell you, sometimes quite loudly (I called it my Wookie) when you are done...
    If you are sliming you are eating about 2-3 bites too much. Good luck from an old timer
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Archer
    Last Activity
    02-24-2014 04:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 108 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 77 Times
    Blog Entries

I keep my scale on the counter and weigh all the food... 4 to 5 oz is it, if its soft food 5oz, meat, 3-4 oz at the most with an ounce or so of potato or something soft. I have only had foamies once (when I ate meat too fast), but I for the most part have made sure to eat slow, I reheat my food 2-3 times in a 1/2 hour. I am 9 weeks out now, and the feeling I get is at the top of my stomach it just feels kinda tight, like another bite and its not going to fit and the foamies will happen. I had a hiatial hernia fixed too, and at 15 days you still have swelling in in both your stomach & hernia repair, so what you feel now, will slowly change.

Lifetime rules
    Weigh myself daily - to keep thescale from going back up!!
    Use food scale
    Use smaller dishes

BMI: 38.3 Weight: 230 - Heaviest 2009
    BMI: 37.4 Weight: 225 - Pre-Op 11/01/2012
    BMI: 30.8 Weight: 185 - 90 days Post-Op 02/16/2013
    BMI: 28.0 Weight: 168 - 6 months Post-Op 5/17/2013
    BMI: 25.2 Weight: 156 - 11 months Post-Op 10/17/2013
    GOAL is: BMI 25 Weight 155

Name
    Jill
    Surgery date
    10/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Oliak
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 569 Times in 561 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

I feel like I still have trouble with this sometimes. I can only eat 1/2 cup of solids at this time, and my signal is burbing. Nice huh? Not huge belches, but little baby burps, like 3 or 4 in a row, thankfully they tend to be quiet. My tummy also makes a racket.

Start weight: 286 (8/28/12)
    Pre-op weight: 272 (10/22/12)
    Goal to weigh what my drivers license says: 225 (3/9/13)
    First goal weight: 199 (7/20/13)
    Second goal weight: 186 - 100 lbs lost ( )
    Third goal weight: 175 ( )
    Fourth goal weight: 150 ( )
    Final goal weight: remains to be seen

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Ambra Garrett
    Surgery date
    12/17/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hougen
    Last Activity
    05-26-2013 08:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

I get the feeling in my esophogus, like it is stuck there, my first sighn that I am full is burping, which I am not normaly gasy so that is my sighn to slow down and will only get one more bite in. When I was on full liqueds I felt like I was eating to fast. I went to soft foods in 10 days after surgery,I find that crackers and cheese go down really good. Lunch meat goes down good to. I am really looking forward to eating salad!! All drinks go down good but have to sip, and can not drink from a straw. I try to eat 4-5 meals a day. I am off protein drinks now so have to make sure I get it from my food choices. I think it helps to plan my meals and portion my part off in little containers. Also if I go out to eat I always have a to go box. I can get 3 meals out of 1 plate lol. So weird. On soft diet fish goes down good. I am blessed though I have had no nausea or vomiting. It will get better. On day 7 I was really depressed and not sure I was doing it right but my friend who had the surgery a year ago told me that I was. You just got to develop your own way and what feels right to you.

Name
    Cindy Barrie
    Surgery date
    10/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    04-10-2015 04:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 165 Times
    Was Thanked 220 Times in 207 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 403 Times
    Blog Entries

It really is going to take time for you to discover what your full feeling is like for you. I know that when I eat soft proteins like cottage cheese or Greek yogurt I can eat more than when I am eating chicken or fish. Liquids -- I can drink a 11 oz. shake without a hitch in about 20 minutes. I almost always measure my soft proteins, high protein cereals, and cheese -- after years on Weight Watchers I can eyeball chicken and fish. Cooked vegetables are a whole other ball game -- I love my veggies, and my eyes are always bigger than I am able to handle after having my protein.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Scubagecko's Avatar
    Name
    David
    Surgery date
    12/20/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sang-Moon Han
    Last Activity
    12-15-2020 03:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 95 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 98 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 100 Times

At 4 weeks out my wife made my favorite chicken and I tried to jump into it like pre-sleeve and quickly was reminded that was a bad idea. I didn't vomit but I felt very nauseous until the gas was able to pass the food I'd stuffed down my gullet.

Once you do real food you'll know when you've eaten and when you are full. Just remember to eat slowly and chew chew chew...

Total inches lost to date 38.6 inches 98.0 cm
    Highest weight 325
    1st Goal - below 300 (12/12/30) 9 days after surgery'
    2nd Goal - 265 weight I met my wife (13/2/23)
    3rd Goal - 250 lowest weight in my 30's (15/4/2013)
    4th Goal - 215 lowest weight as an adult ()
    5th Goal - below 200 ()

11. Said thanks: