Last Activity
    02-09-2015 08:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Red face Newbie to this site

Good Morning All,

I am 2 Months into getting prepared for Surgery. I've lost 2.5 lbs of the 10lbs that are required pre-surgery. I have completed 2 meetings and 2 doctor appointments. Next week I have my psychological evaluation.

I have a 22 year old son that give me his full support on this decision. My husband on the other hand does not like the idea and thinks it is too extreme. I told him that I will do my homework and keep him posted.

I am 41 years old, 5'8" tall. I am currently 284lbs. I have knee pain, lower back pain, occasional skin rashes, COPD, Bursitis in my hip and shoulder, planters fasciitis in both feet, and no energy.

I am hoping that I have the strength and will to carry through with the decision to have the gastric sleeve done, and to fulfill my hopes of "feeling better". Oh yeah....I also want to be able to paint my own toenails.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/18/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rajeev Vohra
    Last Activity
    04-03-2013 06:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Newbie to this site

Welcome, with all you have going on right now, the sleeve sounds like an excellent decision. good luck to you!

Name
    Maia
    Surgery date
    03/25/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Randall Baker
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,758 Times
    Blog Entries

This HAS to be for you! Not to diminish your marriage or your vows at all-but your husband probably can't understand how you feel or what your going through. Continue your research and share your hope with him and he will come around! You will find such good information here. Welcome & best of luck on your journey!!!

Surgery date
    09/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Rothchild
    Said "Thanks" 181 Times
    Was Thanked 530 Times in 430 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12,041 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WayLessInNH View Post
    I have a 22 year old son that give me his full support on this decision. My husband on the other hand does not like the idea and thinks it is too extreme. I told him that I will do my homework and keep him posted.
    I am 41 years old, 5'8" tall. I am currently 284lbs. I have knee pain, lower back pain, occasional skin rashes, COPD, Bursitis in my hip and shoulder, planters fasciitis in both feet, and no energy.
    I am hoping that I have the strength and will to carry through with the decision to have the gastric sleeve done, and to fulfill my hopes of "feeling better". Oh yeah....I also want to be able to paint my own toenails.
    Welcome and glad you found us! As for your son supporting you that is wonderful the more support you have the better and when it comes to your husband saying its too extreme it sounds like all of your other medical issues are TOO extreme NOT to do something about them. I truly wish you the absolute best and i hope you can get to a place where many (if not all) of your other medical issues go away and you can live with out the pain. I remember the pain in my legs so bad I could barely walk at times (which scared the hell out of me at 24 years old).
    As of today I have lost over 100 lbs just because of the sleeve and I couldnt be happier, I can walk , run even stand on my head and now its like I have a life to live rather than sitting here watching and waiting for my life to begin. Sleeve has been the best decision I have EVER made for myself and I wish you the very best success on this journey!
    "Its Not Hard Its Just New!"
    Transforming from caterpillar to butterfly to phoenix!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Venkatesh Sasthakonar
    Last Activity
    03-07-2013 09:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Ace probably nailed it on the head. Extreme is not having the quality of life you were meant to have, living but not really being alive. My 9yr old was very angry with me. She was very negative and sometimes just plain mean. She came with me to my appointments and sat in on the classes etc. Kept my son (6) in check when I needed him to be really quiet. She is a very happy, well adjusted, respectful, and loving child. She was really having a hard time processing what I was about to go through. She wasn't ok until after surgery and mommy could cook, clean and just be me again and then some. She was scared for me. With all that said, your husband might be working through some of the same emotions that my daughter went through and not know how to do it. Just keep focused. Your health is #1 priority.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member marilynlw's Avatar
    Name
    Marilyn
    Surgery date
    11/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Lorenzo
    Last Activity
    01-02-2014 02:32 PM
    Oahu, Hawaii we moved from Ohio to wormer weather.
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 742 Times in 711 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,174 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome glad you are here. Keep us posted and hubby will come around he is probably a little afraid for you. But you will be fine.

Highest weight 440 lbs. lowest weight 9.5 lbs at birth
    Date of surgery weight 340
    12 week checkup 301 BMI <50 yeah!
    Weight on birthday 3/24/48 Goal 285 would be nice.

Name
    Cindy Barrie
    Surgery date
    10/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    04-10-2015 04:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 165 Times
    Was Thanked 220 Times in 207 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 403 Times
    Blog Entries

Terri, welcome and it is really good that you are doing your research! I'd like to say that your husband is worried, scared, and unsure of what a VGS might mean for him and your lives together. Try to include him as you do your research and get him to some of your appointments. I am so glad that your son is supporting you! You will be making a good decision based upon what you learn to improve your health. I can say that my non-supporters are now supporters and some of my biggest cheer leaders. Best wishes to you and your family.

Name
    Robin Benson
    Surgery date
    06/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jacobo Zafrani
    Last Activity
    03-09-2016 11:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,967 Times

Terri, our stats are almost alike except I am 5'3" tall and was 275. Tell your hubby to call mine. My hubby was supportive but hesitant at first only because of all the diets that I've been on in the past and failed. I am down to 188 and running now. My high blood pressure is gone, my rheumatiod arthritis is in remission, and I am no longer taking sleeping pills to sleep at night and guzzling caffeine to stay awake during the day and dragging myself out of bed in the mornings. Instead my day consists of getting up around 5:30 or 6 (without snoozing), protein drink in the morning for my energy, small lunch, small dinner, and running at night or doing P90X. My hubby no longer out walks or runs me! Our love life is amazing now and he enjoys each moment of it! And I have tons of energy. He told me the other day that he was so proud of me and wishes we could have done it years earlier. Tell him to do some research. This surgery literally saved my life! The only meds I take are vitamins.

Name
    Tami
    Surgeon
    Dr M. Hatter
    Last Activity
    04-07-2016 07:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 63 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome to this site! You will find a lot of support here from people who have been sleeved or are going through the process.. Share what you learn from this site and also from the research you do regarding sleeve surgery! It is a wonderful tool!! My husband was afraid of it, but he was supportive.. After I had my sleeve done.. he made the comment that he could see, it was the best choice for my health I could make.. I am now 4 1/2 months post op. I no longer have the aches and pains that go along with being overweight and even better.. I no longer have diabetes.. and my blood pressure is in better control! I have more energy than ever before and feel fantastic! I hope it all works out well for you!! Peace and God Bless! Tami..
    p.s. I love the harley pic! Do you ride? I have a harley softail deluxe.. This spring I look forward to new pics of me and my Harley.. (Before I just took pics of the bike.. I never wanted my pic taken... Not now)!!

Name
    Mandy
    Surgery date
    02/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. David Jenkins
    Last Activity
    08-19-2013 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 38 Times

Welcome to the site! This is a wonderful place to find information and support! I just got approved to have surgery after going through 6 months of weight management required by my insurance company. My husband was not initially in agreement with my choice, but always supportive, until I showed him much of the research I had found! He is now completely supportive! This change for me will be good for both of us!! I wish you luck as you prepare for this life changing operation!!
    Highest weight: 240 lbs.
    Pre-op diet weight: 221 lbs.
    Day of surgery weight: 212.6
    Onederland 3/4/2013: 198.4
    First Goal 140 lbs:
    Ultimate Goal 130 lbs:

Gastric Sleeve Member MomMaestra's Avatar
    Name
    Karen.
    Surgery date
    04/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    02-22-2014 10:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Sounds like you are in the right place. Your reaction from your husband tells me he loves you just the way you are... what a blessing. But others are right. As women we tend (in general) not to complain about our pains when there are others to take care of or when there are things that need to be done. My husband doesn't think I'm "that" overweight... and sometimes I don't either; but facts are facts. It sounds like weight loss would relieve a lot, keep you off pain medications, and be much cheaper in the end. Keep doing your homework and tell us: What will be the first color you paint your own toenails!

Gastric Sleeve Member WayLessInNH's Avatar
    Name
    Terri
    Surgery date
    08/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gould
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

thank you

Gastric Sleeve Member WayLessInNH's Avatar
    Name
    Terri
    Surgery date
    08/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gould
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Yes, I ride. I've got a Sportster XLC. You hit the nail on the head, I've been riding since 2004 and I have plenty of pictures of the bike and not one of me on it. That will be one more goal for me to accomplish.

Thank You