Surgeon
    Dr. Alanis
    Last Activity
    02-19-2013 09:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Question Pregnancy HELP!

Hello All! This is my first time posting. I have my surgery on 5/31/2012. I am now 29 weeks pregnant. I have 4 1/2 year old triplets- we did 4 years of fertility treatments to get pregnant with them. We were told we would never have kids naturally. Ha! I actually found out I was pregnant during my annual exam. Needless to say, this pregnancy was not planned. I know it is not wise to get pregnant this quickly after surgery. We determined I got pregnant a month after surgery.

This pregnancy has been full of complications. My triplet pregnancy wasn't easy either, so it is not known whether the complications are due to the sleeve or me just not being a good incubator.

I have continued to lose weight throughout the pregnancy, but it is slow. Pre-surgery I was at 287. Today I am at 235. The baby is continuing to grow on schedule.

My question is this: for any of you who have gotten pregnant after the sleeve, how was the nausea in the last trimester? I have been nauseated the entire pregnancy--the doctor even put me on mediation to help stop throwing up. But, since Christmas, I have been hospitalized 3 times to get IV fluids because I have been so dehydrated. I go through a phase- usually 1 week of constantly throwing up everything, then I go get fluids, feel better for 2-3 days, then back to the throwing up.

My doctor thinks that it might be due to the sleeve- now that the baby is growing she is pushing the stomach around... I don't know. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Megan

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member OOOWEEBABY!'s Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Patty
    Surgery date
    08/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Arun Rao
    Said "Thanks" 91 Times
    Was Thanked 115 Times in 101 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 194 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pregnancy HELP!

Megan,

I wish that I could help you, but I am far past having babies. I do know that there are several women who are or have become pregnant shortly after being sleeved. I think that I remember one who didn't know she was expecting when she was sleeved!

Go to "Search the Forums" at the very top ot the home page in here an enter a topic like pregnancy and see what comes up. It should lead you to things like blots and comments on what word you have entered.

Pregnancy was very hard for me, too. This was a long time ago, but I stayed nauseous the whole time, so in a small way I share your pain about that.

You and you baby are in my thoughts and prayers!

With a Big Hug for You,
    Patty

"Life shrinks or expands in direct proportion to one's courage." -Anais Nin

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Anne
    Surgery date
    12/26/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Raul Rosenthal
    Last Activity
    02-19-2020 03:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 56 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

I'm also no help on the pregnancy part but congrats on being able to conceive naturally, I'm sure it was quite the shock. Has the surgeon who did your sleeve had any other patients get pregnant so soon after, I would think they would be a good source to work with?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Sharon
    Surgery date
    08/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr James Chau
    Last Activity
    09-26-2014 04:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi there! I am also pregnant but you are further along than I am. I am almost 11 weeks. I got pregnant about 3 months after the sleeve. I have had some days with serious nausea, but thankfully most days I'm ok and it seems to be easing up the further along I am. My surgeon is a little concerned with me being pregnant so early but I am doing well and managing to eat around 1000 calories per day - sometimes more. With my first pregnancy I had nausea but no throwing up. With this one I have thrown up a lot. Hard to tell if it is because of the sleeve or because every pregnancy is different. The most important thing is to stay hydrated. Try all different types of fluids until you find one that you can tolerate. Good luck -xx-

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/31/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alanis
    Last Activity
    02-19-2013 09:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thanks everyone! We have made it to week 34 in this pregnancy- a huge accomplishment when I started going into pre-term labor at 14 weeks! I'm still vomiting on a daily basis, but I also finally got a good handle on medications that work. Throwing up once a day beats 4-5 times a day. :-)

I haven't gained any weight, but the baby is thriving, so the doctor is happy.

Thanks for the kinds words!
    Megan

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents