Dr Shin
    Last Activity
    03-09-2013 11:28 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Talking Hello Everyone!

Hello!
    My name is Mariah. I am a 21 year old female,who is currently waiting to get my surgery date. I was planning on having the Lapband but, due to the "possible" costs that the future may hold for the adjustments I have re-thought and may have the Gastric Sleeve. I am however nervous due to how much more drastic the Sleeve is compared to the Lap Band...If you have any positive words of encouragement or if you were in my shoes and decided to the sleeve as opposed to the band, or maybe you have had both...your words are very much welcomed. I do have a daughter whom I breathe for and she is ONE of the main reasons I am having this. Please pray just as I am for ya'll. Thanks so much to read a little input on myself.
    XOXO
    -Mariah

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member LongBeach's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/18/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mun
    Last Activity
    07-29-2013 06:30 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Default Re: Hello Everyone!

The costs shouldn't be your most important reason for not getting the lap band. You should research and consider just how many people have had to have them removed. It's about 50%. My doctor, who was once a proponent of the band, now says that he (and many other doctors) will not place them any longer. He also said that every single band he has removed has caused a hiatial hernia which must be repaired with surgery. I personally suffered from GERD, and regular (sometimes daily) bouts of excruciating heartburn. I often had food stuck and had to force myself to throw up. Although I lost weight, I also regained some of it and I never lost more than the 60% of desired weight loss that people with the lap band average. I was scared to have the gastric sleeve done, and I even really regretted it during the first week when I was first recovering. It's only been a little over three weeks for me and I am starting to see that this was the best surgery choice for me, and I look forward to reaching my weight loss goal.

Surgery date
    12/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-31-2015 01:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

I also wanted the lap band. I didnt know about the sleeve. I have a friend who had the lap band done and she is having a terrible time with the constant adjustments. I have seen several people that have lap bands now getting them removed and getting the sleeve. I had the sleeve surgery 12/10/12. I dont regret getting it. I am very happy with my choice. My friend may end up with the sleeve later. But that is more surgery and cost. Do your research and call the weight loss agents. They will answer all of your questions. They are wonderful to talk to and will help yiu make the best choice for you.

Gastric Sleeve Member aclabombard13's Avatar
    Name
    Angela
    Surgery date
    05/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Terence Clarke MD
    Last Activity
    09-02-2013 09:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 167 Times
    Was Thanked 275 Times in 236 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 150 Times
    Blog Entries

I was scheduled for Lap-band surgery 3 years ago and backed out a couple weeks before. At the time, my doctors only offered lap-band or RNY. I've never even considered RNY, I just didn't want my intestines re-routed. So, after 2 more years went by and I had gained an additional 30lbs, I decided to look back into lap-band. Although I had always had reservations about having a foreign object implanted into my body and the need for regular adjustments throughout my lifetime possibly, I found it's lack of permanence appealing. This time when I returned to the surgeons, they were now offering the sleeve, which I hadn't heard of before. I started researching it and immediately realized it was the perfect solution for me. The complication rate with the band was much too high and it finally dawned on me that I wanted my weight loss to be permanent so why not do something that would help me permanently? Not to mention the fact that the success rate and percentage of weight loss was much higher with the sleeve. I have been extremely fortunate in the fact that my weight has come off in record pace. I am sooooooooo happy with my decision. My expectations have been surpassed at every turn. I won't tell you that I wasn't miserable for a while in the days following surgery, because it wasn't a walk through the park. However as I stand here today, I can tell you that it was all worth it. I encourage anyone who is unhappy and unhealthy to give yourself this gift... Give your child this gift. I feel like a better wife and mother for doing this. Now I can be a positive example for my children and am LIVING my life. You CAN do this. Do your research and make the decision you can live with. But I'm fairly certain that if you go through with the sleeve, chances are you'll be pleased that you did. Good luck

Trip to NYC Dec 1, 2011 - around 270 if I had to guess
    PCP Appt. March 1, 2012 - 260 lbs
    Bariatrics March 23, 2012 - 257lbs
    Day of Surgery May 24, 2012 - 230lbs
    39 Days Post-Op July 2, 2012 - 199lbs
    247 Days Post-Op January 25, 2013 - 135lbs GOAL

"I'd rather LIVE my life than EAT it!"

6. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    01-11-2013 01:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Red face Re: Hello Everyone!

Omg...you must get the sleeve instead of the band..I know many people that had the band and had to have it removed. The sleeve is awesome you get it done and sit back and watch the weight come off. Why have a object inside of you and always have to worry about filling it or letting wster out. You are so lucky to do this at such a young age. I will be 50 in March and this was my early birthday present to me. I have a daughter who is 17 and we hope to give her the surgery over the summer. You have a long wonderful life ahead of you this is just a tool to help you. Best of luck!! I'm excited for your new life to begin. I'm down 80 lbs have a lot more to go but I feel great!!!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    11/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-02-2014 10:29 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I had the lapband surgery in August 2008. After over four years with the lapband I only lost 30 lbs and had countless adjustment. I was miserable! Food kept getting stuck and I would have to force myself to vomit. One day I would eat a certain food with no problem but the next day I would eat the same food and I couldn't tolerate it. Me and my doctors both my PC and bariatric doctors fought for two years to get my insurance company to pay for the gastric bypass, but the kept denying our request. I know now that it was a blessing in disguise because I believe I wouldn't have done well with the RNY and I really didn't want my digestion system to be rerouted. I later heard about the sleeve surgery and I did extensive research about it and decided that it was the right surgery for me, but I had to pay out of pocket and couldn't afford the prices in th US so I looked into having the surgery in Mexico for a fraction of the cost in the US. I was so nervous at first because it was going to take place in another country but I went through with it anyway and chose Dr. Almanza who's credentials are impecable. I haven't had any complications and I have lost 40lbs since my surgery date of Nov 1,2012. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. Everyone is different, but the lapband was a pain in the a.....! I don't know anyone who was successful with it. Dr. Almanza removed my lapband and did the sleeve surgery at the same time. The first two days were rough because since I had revision surgery I ha to have a drain tube in my nose to my stomach which was very uncomfortable but I would do it a thousand times again. I lost these 40 lbs without one day of exercising and just stated exercising last week although I recommend that you exercise and follow all the doctors orders. I believe you will not regret getting the sleeve! Good luck and God Bless.

Gastric Sleeve Member ninaricci46's Avatar
    Name
    Nina
    Surgery date
    09/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza, Mexico
    Last Activity
    08-05-2013 08:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 62 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 89 Times

Quote Originally Posted by mariahd09 View Post
    Hello!
    My name is Mariah. I am a 21 year old female,who is currently waiting to get my surgery date. I was planning on having the Lapband but, due to the "possible" costs that the future may hold for the adjustments I have re-thought and may have the Gastric Sleeve. I am however nervous due to how much more drastic the Sleeve is compared to the Lap Band...If you have any positive words of encouragement or if you were in my shoes and decided to the sleeve as opposed to the band, or maybe you have had both...your words are very much welcomed. I do have a daughter whom I breathe for and she is ONE of the main reasons I am having this. Please pray just as I am for ya'll. Thanks so much to read a little input on myself.
    XOXO
    -Mariah
    Forget the band.. Go for the sleeve. If y do the band y will down the track be so miserable and eventually y will go or the band to sleeve revision. Believe me the band is horrible

Gastric Sleeve Member pgood33605's Avatar
    Name
    Penny
    Surgery date
    10/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alamanza
    Last Activity
    09-21-2013 07:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I too was on the ropes about the lap band versus gastric sleeve. I did the research and to me the gastric sleeve made the most sense. You have to ask yourself what are your goals for having the surgery. The lap band is great to me if you want to lose 40 to 60 pounds. But if you have some serious weight loss challenges and have to lose a significant amount of weight I would go with the sleeve. It does two things for you that the lap band does not do. First thing is it removes the portion of your stomach that produces the chemical that makes you have cravings. Secondly it permanently decreases the size of your stomach so that you can still eat the foods that you have in the past however your ability to take in large amounts of those foods is drastically decreased. An additional bonus to having the gastric sleeve is you don't have the same hunger response as you do with the lap band, when you're hungry your hungry but with the gastric sleeve hunger is not as intense and when you do eat, again you can only take in 2 to 4 ounces at a time. I had my gastric sleeve done October 1st., a friend of mine at works had her lap band October 15th, she walks approximately 1 to 2 miles an day - I do a 30 minute exercise routine during my lunch break at work, since she started she has lost 40 pounds and I have lost 70. Granted people lose weight at different rates but I still believe the gastric sleeve for what I want to accomplish is the much better procedure, but this is just my opinion.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sherrod
    Last Activity
    03-13-2017 06:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times
    Blog Entries

I agree with everyone...The sleeve is wonderful........you may have regrets after surgery cus of the pain etc...thats only normal...but once you're healed and the weight is dropping off you will be glad you chose the sleeve...I know someone who had the lap band and it worked for him but i dont think i would like to keep going in to have it adjusted...and i guess the thought of having something forgein in my body all the time doesnt appeal to me. But do your research and choose what you think will make you happy.

Name
    Sonja
    Surgery date
    05/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Samuel Szomstein
    Last Activity
    12-10-2015 08:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 191 Times in 178 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 124 Times

I was to get the band about 7 years ago...it didnt work out and I am so glad! I have been sleeved and do not regret my decision! It works and I am learning that I still have to make wise decisions and exercise but the sleeve keeps me in control! I had minimal pain and NO complications whatsoever! The pain was far, far less than I imagined it would be. In fact, the whole experience was almost too easy...why did I wait so long!??? Whatever your decision, just make sure you get your head in the game...get all the facts, ask all the questions, expect what your new lifestyle will be. See a nutritionist who has special training in VSG nutrition!!! Be ALL-IN! Good luck

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifton Thomas
    Last Activity
    03-14-2014 11:42 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 725 Times
    Blog Entries

I am with everyone else on this one. Every single person that I know that had the band done has had many many problems and they end up getting it removed and the sleeve done. I am 2 months out with the sleeve and this is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself and would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Surgery date
    09/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Rothchild
    Said "Thanks" 181 Times
    Was Thanked 530 Times in 430 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12,041 Times
    Blog Entries

I try not to sway people in their choice but like the others I have known too many people with more troubles from the band than it was worth. Even a very close family friend who had band about 15 years ago is now over 400lbs cannot eat anything not pureed and she is about to loose a leg. Her case was extreme and as I said it was years ago but it still seemed something to take into consideration for myself. She begged me to reconsider getting the band at first and at first I was under the impression that it was band or bypass so i was thinking band because I thought the bypass too drastic.
    But then I met with my surgeon and he said there was another option (Sleeve) and I knew at that moment that was the right thing for me. I was sure from day one that i wanted sleeve over the band but i can totally understand your dilemma of future costs about the band. I thought of that as well and when i thought of it i realized being on medicaid i didnt know when i would be cut off so if i had to get it filled I had no way to see the Dr to do it so dont think you are odd for that thought its a very honest thought and I am glad you are thinking ahead. I mean why do it if you can't afford to keep up with it later right? And I know it might seem odd but i honestly wasnt that nervous about having 80% of my stomach removed to me that was EXACTLY what I needed to be "fixed". I know that word seems odd but that is how i felt as I woke up from surgery and I still feel that way today 16 months later.
    Best wishes and I hope you find the answers you need to do what is right for you!
    "Its Not Hard Its Just New!"
    Transforming from caterpillar to butterfly to phoenix!