Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    04-10-2015 04:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 165 Times
    Was Thanked 220 Times in 207 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 403 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: struggling with alcohol use.

Linda, if you could please go cold turkey! I've actually found that the sleeve has helped me to decrease my weekend glasses of wine to once a week - and then only a half glass. I have a good friend who just got her 26 year sobriety chip from AA, I remember visiting her when a friend had dropped by with beer and left the rest of the six pack -- she showed her strength of character by pouring the extras down the sink. The fact that your husband doesn't realize this is an issue for you and you are hiding it from him if a huge concern. Sweetie, don't let this be your new addiction -- tea was a great suggestion!!! Best wishes as you deal with your situation.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member donewithdieting's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Linda Lou
    Surgery date
    11/08/2011
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    05-15-2016 05:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 82 Times
    Was Thanked 76 Times in 71 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 711 Times

I surely don't want to hide this, I am ashamed, my guy is very good to me. I'm the one who thinks have a problem. I will be calling my insurance company tomorrow to talk to someone. I don't want to hit a bottom and then realize I need help. I will keep you all informed. I need all your help now more than ever. Thanks all. really thanks all. Love Linda

Gastric Sleeve Member pieganjane's Avatar
    Name
    Jane S.
    Surgery date
    10/15/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Zuccala
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 35 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times

I was sleeved on Oct 15th and at the last clearance with my regular doc he asked me if I had any tendencies toward alcoholism. I laughed and thought it was a really odd question. As it turned out he has three patients who had sleeves and they both substituted their food addiction for booze. I have not gone down that road but realized my internet shopping has really accelerated. Good for you for knowing this is an issue you are dealing with.

Name
    Linda Lou
    Surgery date
    11/08/2011
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 82 Times

Can we be buddies in this. I'm not happy with this. I knew there was such a thing as changing additions,but I never-ever thought it would be me. I love my Lord, I believe in Jesus, but this is bigger than me. I don't want/need someone to coddle me, I want to have this to NOT be a problem for me. Thanks for writing. I will keep all posted on my progress or (digression)? Vikings just won yeah to the playoffs. Linda

Name
    Jane S.
    Surgery date
    10/15/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Zuccala
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times

Looking forward to hearing from you Linda, It may be premature but AA is a good place to get a sympathetic ear to talk to. Maybe there is someone in your church community who you could discuss this with before it gets out of hand. There are AA meetings on line and on the phone so if you are worried about being anonymus you can always use these resources. When I told my doc I loved to shop he just waved his hand at me as if I was being silly and this was not an addicition...Maybe he will pay my Visa bill.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Linda Lou
    Surgery date
    11/08/2011
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 82 Times

Hi, Jane-- yes shopping can ba a problem sometimes so sad to have ease in using a credit card. In August I was promoted to a day job, no scrubs, all normal clothes--had a great time shopping on line for clothes. Got brand name close to new clothes for pennies on the dollar. Had to stop cold turkey. I did talk to the pastor at church and I'm going to pair with a Stephans minister to help get me thru this problem. Thanks for you advice. Good luck in the New Year.Linda

Gastric Sleeve Member itsmytime's Avatar
    Name
    Misty
    Surgery date
    02/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-23-2016 11:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Was Thanked 236 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 154 Times
    Blog Entries

I am so sorry. I have seen several articles about this happening. Weight-Loss Surgery May Boost Risk for Alcohol, Drug Abuse: Study - US News and World Report and many posts on ObesityHelp about this issue. Although 3 glasses of wine a day is not that bad perse', it could get worse. Bless you for what you are going through and I hope it gets better. Can you just get the wine out of the house somehow? Are you afraid to feel withdrawals from not drinking? If worse comes to worse, you could go to a rehab facility for a while to get it out of your system. I wish you the best and please keep us updated. Big hugs

Starting BMI 2/3/2012 - 38
    Goal BMI-24! REACHED and BELOW!! 10/2012 Current BMI 21.0!
    The best goals reached are the ones hardest earned.

Gastric Sleeve Member FreeSpirit's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Quinones
    An Island some where in the Atlantic North-East
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 22 Times

Hi Linda...

First let me say What courage and self-awareness....great place to be as many people with your experience take years to find either of those.
    Relapse is expected with any addiction, so expected that it is part of treatment planning, it sounds as though since it's not even an option to relapse with food because of the restrictive nature of the sleeve you are reaching for an alternative ( wine in this case, could easily be cigarettes, drugs, sex, shopping or any other more socially acceptable addiction...shopping, video games, exercise, internet, working etc.). Your awareness can serve you best at this time, this very scenario is one of the reasons it sooooo important for those of us with food issues to dig into the root causes of the issue. We hear all the time the sleeve is a tool and indeed it is just that...a weight loss tool, we did not have brain or emotional surgery, it is weight loss surgery and nothing in that physical surgery addressed the mental, emotional or spiritual issues that our addictions are a symptom of.
    Please do not trivialize or minimize the impact of this experience, not sure what might be available in your area but first thing is to immediately set some boundaries for yourself with the alcohol, buy less, use it on specific days or occasions, limit the intake on those occasions and if possible try journaling and paying attention to the emotions you are feeling when you want to reach for that glass of wine.
    Share the boundaries and goals with your spouse, plan some activities to replace the time that used to spent with food now wine, actually schedule it. Schedule some real dates with hubby, schedule in some true self care activities and be sure to schedule the activities so you mentally have things to look forward to .
    These are some simple steps that can support you until you find the best resources to assist you.
    Find a support group and a trusted counselor and a friend you can set up some accountability with. Most important stay honest as you've done with this post!! Commit to you, you've started the journey to beat the physical demons, dig deep to find the real you and what her true needs, wants and desires are, she's in there!! Prayers and Blessings to you along your journey!!! You GOT THIS!!
    .........and suddenly, you just know, it's time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings!!

Gastric Sleeve Member FreeSpirit's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Quinones
    An Island some where in the Atlantic North-East
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 22 Times

Reach out any time....happy to lend an ear!!
    .........and suddenly, you just know, it's time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings!!

Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lautz
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 07:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 299 Times in 286 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 76 Times
    Blog Entries

Please don't be ashamed. You are brave to reach out for help. At the end of the day, you want to be healthy. And you will be. Keep talking and reaching out to people.

I wonder if that is the reason my surgeon actually doesn't want us to drink alcohol at all. I did shop for a while shortly after I was sleeved. All the energy that I used to focus on food had to go somewhere. I am trying to use that energy to exercise these days. I still obesse with food. It is just something that I have to keep an eye on.
    (Goal!!! Maintenance Lane!)

• Reduce calories intake for weightloss.
    • Exercise for heart health, mental health and weight maintenance.
    • Make realistic goals.
    • Never give up.

Name
    Linda Lou
    Surgery date
    11/08/2011
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 82 Times

Ok today an update I did not drink for 7 days yes 7. I felt like I had this down. I got very anxious, ( i think I could use a ativan PRN--even though I've never taken before.) It's suppose to help with anxiety. Well, I talked myself into some wine. Now I'm back to 3 glasses per day--now I take only 1/2 glass at a time and the rest diet soda, so I don't get drunk. I have to watch what I eat, because I do mindless eating at times and gets me into trouble.
    NOW--There is a reason I'm writing this. I never drank alcohol for the first 26 years of being married. No need to, never grew up with drinkers ect. Then 2 years ago my dads health was declining, and as a large family we decided to get together 1 night a week to play cards. While we played cards someone would bring wine. It tasted good only 1-2 glasses per week it was ok. Dad died, so did going to play cards. Never had alcohol in the house. That was normal. Had my surgery 11-8-2011., doing well, in April 12 dr thought I needed some estrogen. Started on a patch- within a few days I had a need for some wine. Boy, was that a stong pull. By the time I realized it I was drinking everyday for 2 months. Went off the patch, and drinking went down alittle but now it is stonger than ever. I never in my life thought I would have a dependency on alcohol. Never-- I'm now working with a counselor at church. It's going slow but I need to change. Just working on changing. Linda

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

Hiya Linda, thanks for updating. Glad to see you're getting help, good luck with your continued progress on this issue. All good thoughts your way.

Name
    Jill
    Surgery date
    10/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Oliak
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 569 Times in 561 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

Linda - wishing you all the best.

Start weight: 286 (8/28/12)
    Pre-op weight: 272 (10/22/12)
    Goal to weigh what my drivers license says: 225 (3/9/13)
    First goal weight: 199 (7/20/13)
    Second goal weight: 186 - 100 lbs lost ( )
    Third goal weight: 175 ( )
    Fourth goal weight: 150 ( )
    Final goal weight: remains to be seen

Name
    Jane S.
    Surgery date
    10/15/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Zuccala
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times

Thanks for the update! It is just another hurdle that you will overcome...anyone who has had a sleeve is a warrior and a winner, you'll figure it out.

Name
    Linda Lou
    Surgery date
    11/08/2011
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 82 Times

It's pretty much up to me to figure it out. I'm doing ok now just being being more aware lately. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers/ Linda

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast