Dr. Marvin
    Last Activity
    01-22-2014 07:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 30 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Telling coworkers?

I've seen this issue come up before and I understand both approaches of keeping it on "the down low" vs.being more open about it. I think its a very individual decision that depends greatly on one's personal circmstance. I'm very lucky in that I work with a close knit group of people at a children's hospital .. Several of whom have already had the surgery and have been open about it. So, I feel very comfortable sharing. I think any well informed person knows that the surgery is simply a tool and the patient must put in the work like any one else who loses weight.. But unfortunately, there are still plenty of uninformed people out there. Hopefully as these surgeries become more and more mainstream, the naysayers will quiet and those that are nosey will become less curious..At any rate, the older I've gotten the less concerned I am about what others think. Those in my inner circle love me unconditionally and that is all that matters to me. Best wishes to all of you on this journey .. Thank God there is a forum like this for us to come and seek answered and support!!

01/2013 BMI: 41
    04/2013 BMI: 33.5
    05/2013.BMI 31.3
    08/2013 BMI 28

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ben
    Surgery date
    12/17/2012
    Surgeon
    Phillip Leggett
    Last Activity
    10-12-2014 07:28 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

I thought about this question for a week before deciding to post. I might have a different support system, but I haven't kept it a secret. I have told everyone I was having it done because it was the best decision for me for where I was and where I wanted to be. I need to be healthy for me, and I am lucky enough to be able to take advantage of this tool to help me get to that point, and since these are coworkers, it couldn't hurt them to see the success that I am having so they can be influenced my decisions. I have even kept them all updated on what my weight is currently and where I am pain wise and what I am eating. As a matter of fact, while typing this, a coworker just called me and asked.

Of course, part of that might be that I'm the boss.

But, in my opinion, I didn't make any decisions that I am ashamed of, and instead made one I am very proud of because it was the right decision for me and my health, and that makes me want to share it. As a matter of fact, me sharing with others my journey could even save someone's life by helping them make their decision easier. One thing I have discovered is that a group that has something in common is always easier than doing something alone, and that's why this site is so nice. No matter what, we have something in common, which should give us all strength. Now we just need to preach to the masses!
    Pre-Journey Weight - 382.7
    Weight Day Of Surgery - 305.2 (six months later)
    Weight 2 Weeks After Surgery - 287.5 (12-31-12)
    Weight 4 Weeks After Surgery - 285.6 (1-14-13) STALL OVER!

My Goal - 180
    Realistic Goal - 219lbs

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Helen
    Surgery date
    03/07/2013
    Surgeon
    Mr. Sutton
    Last Activity
    06-18-2014 12:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I feel exactly the same as you Niamh. I go for my consultation with Chris Sutton on Friday after waiting months to pluck up the courage. My reason for not telling anyone but my husband is: my sisters and family will try and dissuade me and I fear people at work will be judgemental thinking that I'm lazy and taking the easy way out(making the decision has been one of the hardest things ever, as well as accepting that once having the op then my relationship with food will change for ever - I spent a long time thinking does anything taste better than a size 12/14 and 6 stone lighter would feel?) I do a lot of patient moving so will just tell people I've had surgery. I'll tell a couple of closer colleagues that it was laparoscopic division of adhesions which is very plausible as I've previously had a lap cholecystectomy. (i know that this will get passed around as nothing at my workplace stays quiet for long) I will probably try to just have either shakes or soup for lunch whilst at work and say that I'm trying the lighter life diet which, will hopefully, pass off the weight loss. I don't want to be the focus of attention - just to quietly get on with it. It's good to see you're doing so well Niamh - have you had any problems/set backs? Have you any good advice to pass on? Protein drink advice? I've got to say that I'm nervous as hell!!!