Last Activity
    09-16-2013 11:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Has anyone tried Nutrisystem or Weight Watchers Post Surgery

Hello,

I was wondering ..I know we all want this surgery to help us lose the weight cuz we cant do it very well without it...but has anyone gone on Nutrisystem or Weightwatchers as and added tool after surgery...

I did NS a couple years ago and it worked...just got really expensive...I know you can buy some of the foods at Big Lots...or online with Craigs list or ebay..there are even some NS stores around...

I was just curious...the diet plan they have is still a good concept and wonder if it will assist in the weightloss...

Not that I am gooing to run out and order NS the day after surgery...but if for example at that 3 year mark where they say people gain...I wonder if it would be helpful then...to lose those feared 20lbs that people gain...

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/31/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lomenzo
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 24 Times

Default Re: Has anyone tried Nutrisystem or Weight Watchers Post Surgery

I agree that it might be a useful tool for someone who is a year or more out, has hit or is extremely close to goal, and is more or less eating "normally". It certainly wouldn't be very helpful as an earl post op IMO, since our eating is just way too weird, and many of us eat so LITTLE, those programs would be yelling at us to eat more

I have honestly considered WW just because I really liked that it was basically inadvertent calorie counting, but I've become pretty ingrained in my routines now that I decided I'd save the monthly fee and just keep doing what I'm doing. It's certainly not a bad idea for those who feel it would give them more structure and help with managing their foods, though.
    Free Weight Loss Tickers at Weight Loss Center

Pre-Op Diet: Didn't lose any weight!
    Morning of surgery: 2 2 0

Gastric Sleeve Member Tina Marie's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Richardson
    Last Activity
    11-11-2013 04:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

A friend of mine, who lost 160 lbs, decided to go to TOPS as a tool to keep her more accountable. Another lady and herself, who had both had surgery, were singled out because they had not lost their weight with diet and exercise "the hard way". The group still collected their money and added their weight loss to the group total. However, they were ineligible to win any of the money or be recognized as top loser of the week. I only had my surgery about 5 weeks ago but I have been attending a support group since last June. I don't recall anyone ever saying, Oh this is so easy. Most people really don't have a clue what is required with WLS. Best of luck to all of us who made the decision to have the surgery to change our lives for the better. Take care.

Gastric Sleeve Member misteraudio's Avatar
    Name
    Rob
    Surgery date
    05/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nicolas Toleo
    Last Activity
    06-24-2013 10:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Hi All, this thread has been very informative although my experience is anti different. Perhaps someone can shed light for me. I am post op, 5 days and I have been having vowel movements from day 3. The first was solid and everything since has been loose almost diareah like consistency. I'm not sure if I should be worried at this point or I I may have developed a lactose intolerance to the shakes. Any help is truly appreciated.

Gastric Sleeve Member Harley Granny's Avatar
    Name
    Sue
    Surgery date
    05/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Jawad
    Last Activity
    01-13-2014 09:05 AM
    Said "Thanks" 97 Times
    Was Thanked 324 Times in 312 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 607 Times
    Blog Entries

Misteraudio...the diareah is very normal. You have to remember that you are only injesting liquids. Once you start eating solids, things should firm up.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member shortnsweet24's Avatar
    Name
    Mandy
    Surgery date
    03/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Kemmerling
    Last Activity
    02-02-2014 07:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 35 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 28 Times

I did Weight Watchers before surgery and I think a slightly modified version afterwards wouldn't be bad - what I like about Weight Watchers is it gives a points value to every food based on calories, fat, fiber, and carbs. I feel like a lot of diets focus on one category (calories, no carbs, etc) but it is really a combination that determines how "good" it is for you. I would try to eat more protein based foods. Although, I have no idea how you would set your target - I believe the minimum is 22 points/day but with how little we can eat that would probably be a breeze!

Banned
    Name
    Christy
    Surgery date
    09/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-16-2014 05:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 645 Times
    Was Thanked 491 Times in 418 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 493 Times
    Blog Entries

I would not waste one more PENNY on any of that crappy food or WW meetings or anything other weight loss product. BUT...that's just me. :-)

Name
    Valerie
    Surgery date
    07/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hollis
    Last Activity
    09-16-2013 11:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

well i was thinking when we hit that 3 year mark....they say the all important test if we can keep it of at that point...I know some people gain back...and if you need to lose a quick 20lbs or something NS isnt too bad...they even sell a week's worth at Walmart now...its just a thought...but yea....the purpose of the surgery is to not have to worry about all those other weight loss stuff out there...

Surgery date
    11/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Archer
    Last Activity
    02-24-2014 04:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 108 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 77 Times
    Blog Entries

I would suggest IF and only IF after you reach your goal, or get out towards the 1 yr mark and have difficulty attaining or maintaining goal after that then consider WW. But, as you have done before, any of those programs are only good as long as you are on them. You are better off getting YOU mentally in the game of being healthy and making the right food choices. Your new tummy is going to control your portions, it is up to you to make the right choices and NOT graze. It is easier after surgery to eat the right things, because if you don't you start feeling cruddy not getting the right nutrition on a regular basis and as I like to say the Ghrelin hormone is more like a craving hormone not a hunger hormone. I do not crave food like I use to, I can make better choices, easier. For the first time in my life I can have a treat and enjoy it, but they are just that treats! I didn't allow that until I got within 10lbs of my goal.

This surgery is the key to the rest of your life as a healthy person - do not waste this surgery effort to throw it away by poor choices post sleeve, you and I both know you never want to go back to the unhealthy life - because being fit feels so much better than eating ever has. So the surgery is only 50% of your journey - your mind is the other 50%, make sure you are in it for the lifetime!

Good Luck!

Lifetime rules
    Weigh myself daily - to keep thescale from going back up!!
    Use food scale
    Use smaller dishes

BMI: 38.3 Weight: 230 - Heaviest 2009
    BMI: 37.4 Weight: 225 - Pre-Op 11/01/2012
    BMI: 30.8 Weight: 185 - 90 days Post-Op 02/16/2013
    BMI: 28.0 Weight: 168 - 6 months Post-Op 5/17/2013
    BMI: 25.2 Weight: 156 - 11 months Post-Op 10/17/2013
    GOAL is: BMI 25 Weight 155

Name
    Brigitte
    Surgery date
    08/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times
    Was Thanked 400 Times in 330 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 140 Times

I had this surgery to change my lifestyle to become a normal person. I did not have this surgery just to slip back into the old mental mindfuck of "diets".

The hardest part of my WLS journey has been the mental part. I would avoid NS, Jenny Craig, WW, like the plague because their philosophies would sabotage all my hard work in getting my mind healthy.
    Nov. 15/17 - re-sleeve, hiatal hernia repair, gallbladder removal with Dr. A. Lopez from AloBariatrics in Puerto Vallarta

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    04-18-2015 09:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 419 Times in 405 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,435 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by misteraudio View Post
    Hi All, this thread has been very informative although my experience is anti different. Perhaps someone can shed light for me. I am post op, 5 days and I have been having vowel movements from day 3. The first was solid and everything since has been loose almost diareah like consistency. I'm not sure if I should be worried at this point or I I may have developed a lactose intolerance to the shakes. Any help is truly appreciated.
    misteraudio,

Just one more thing to add, if you are on antibiotics or are completing a course of antibiotics, their most frequent side effect is diarrhea. Check with your MD, but you should be able to get some probiotics to help replenish the good bacteria in your gut. They come in a capsule form. Or depending on the post-op plan your doctor has, you may talk to your MD about adding a couple bites a day of yogurt with live active cultures to your shakes.

Well wishes, and hope you are doing well otherwise!