Dr. Merriman
    Last Activity
    02-03-2013 11:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default 8 days postop

Hey y'all!!!!!

Okay so my surgery was dec 17th. I have to say that was by FAR the worst pain I've ever had--- and it is just now getting better, I can finally sleep in a bed at night!!!! My doctor has had me on a verrrry strict clear liquid diet since- 1 ounce of broth/juice/jello/water per hour. Today (Merry Christmas!!), I can start adding oatmeal and grits and pudding at an increase of 2 ounces per hour. I will do this diet for the next 7 days and then increase a little from there. I am having the worst gas pains in my chest and stomach and still am not having natural bowel movements (just the laxative ones). I'm so worried that my body just is NOT healing well from the change/surgery. It really does scare me. I almost regret it at this point!!!!!! I REALLLYYYYYY miss my Soda's too and have had a few sips of them when they've gone flat. I can say one thing- it is verrrry difficult sticking to my post op diets during tchristmas! Hah!

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, I really just need to see things getting better!! Any similar situations or thoughts??? Take care everyone and MERRRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Chantilly Lace

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    James
    Surgery date
    12/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Dexter Turnquest
    Last Activity
    10-20-2014 03:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 170 Times in 151 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,543 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 8 days postop

Chantyl,

I personally think the first two bits of cream of wheat was like manna from heaven. Sorry you had such a rough time of it, I really did not. Okay so lately I have thrown up a few times as I try new things. Thinking I pushed myself too fast. One small bit of a sticky biscuit, and the bit was pencil eraser size and tossed up the half an egg I ate. UGH!!!

Bowels have gotten more normal but like you it was laxative induced for a bit. I would suggest Milk of Magnesium over anything else.

So I don't see your weight ticker in your signature! Add it please and report..what's you loss thus far my friend!
    In HIM all can be,

James
    www.jamesknox.net
    "Change is the only thing in life that is guaranteed. So I choose to embrace this change!"
    Friend me on 'My Fitness Pal'

Surgery date
    12/18/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Jose Rodreguez
    Last Activity
    07-21-2013 09:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

I would stay away from that soda especially with gas issues. Flat or not, it still has carbonation.

Gastric Sleeve Member chantyl06's Avatar
    Name
    Chantyl
    Surgery date
    12/17/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Merriman
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times

Thanks y'all. I found out yesterday, as I started a few soft foods, that I can handle pudding, so that was very relieving!!! However I still am having so much pain and I am completely dehydrated- despite how much I am drinking!!!

Oh, and jknox- I am not going to be adding a weight ticker for personal trigger reasons!
    Chantilly Lace

Gastric Sleeve Member twinmomma's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/13/2012
    Last Activity
    10-07-2014 12:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I'm 13 days post open and still having some discomfort where surgon stitched up a muscle. It's so annoying. I'm on a liquid diet for at least another week then I meet with the nutritionist. I'm very envious that you can have some solids. I'm dying for something with substance. We are having Christmas dinner with my mom's family tonight, soup and sandwiches. I'm tempted to throw some chili in the blender and eat it.Good luck as you try new things. Let us know what works and what doesn't.

7. Said thanks:

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member chantyl06's Avatar
    Name
    Chantyl
    Surgery date
    12/17/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Merriman
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times

Thanks twinmomma!!! Well as it turns out I have been diagnosed with Thrush, an infection from all of the antibiotics in the hospital. It has made "eating"/drinking very miserable, not to meantion all of the vommitting and (other) discomfort. I'm so over this!!!!!
    Chantilly Lace

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Beverly
    Surgery date
    10/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hugh Houston
    Last Activity
    10-29-2013 11:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 34 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

So sorry that you are having such a hard time! The medication they give you should help the thrush pretty quickly and that should not be a recurring problem. It took me to get rid of the gas pains from all the gas they pump into your belly. But this too shall pass at least in another week. Don't be afraid to ask for pain meds if the doctor did not send you home with any. You need to take them so you are able to get up and walk as much as possible. Most of our post-op diets vary somewhat but essessentially ( for me anyway) the first month stunk! Christmas is hard. Not sure it gets better. I know that I have been tempted more than Halloween or Thanksgiving combined! So I am trying to get my head back in the game of beeping compliant with all the rules. It is not easy but it is so worth it.my surgery eas on Oct. 9 th and I have lost 50Lbs. And haven't started much exercise at all but plan too tomorrow when I will have access to an indoor pool. So hang in there each week gets better.

11. Said thanks: