Surgery date
    01/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 556 Times
    Was Thanked 320 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14,570 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Full Liquids -Alumni post suggestions here - Newbies get info here

Quote Originally Posted by accordingtome View Post
    Blinky, I am not sure. I haven't found an unflavored protein powder yet. I do know some people have done this, so maybe they will reply and also give us suggestions for a good unflavored protein powder.
    Syntrax has a great unflavored whey protein and you can find it several places on the internet. My doctor's office sells it and I got to try it yesterday. It was really good. Drugstore.com sells it.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Awesomassager's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Amanda
    Surgery date
    11/02/2011
    Surgeon
    Dwayne Smith
    Last Activity
    10-26-2018 09:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 58 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I have unjury unflavored and to me it changes the tatse of everything. I have tried it in my soups, yogarts, and jellos----- SO GROSS!!! I cant get over the smell. I use the Unjury Vanilla and Chocolate Splendor and those are great!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Ampersand987's Avatar
    Name
    Jen
    Surgery date
    11/03/2011
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-21-2012 07:54 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

I am slowly transitioning into full liquids (I just can't even stand the thought of broth or jello anymore!) and today I threw together a soup that turned out soooo great I had to share!

Jen's Curry Peanut Soup

6 cloves of garlic sliced
    1 small shallot chopped
    1/2 small yellow onion chopped
    1 orange bell pepper chopped
    1 red bell pepper chopped
    1 parsnip chopped
    1 cup low sodium chicken broth
    1.5 cups Silk Pure Coconut milk
    1/2 cup low sodium peanut butter (I use Maranatha)
    3 tablespoons curry powder
    Chili powder to taste
    Salt to taste

In a soup pot, heat a small amount of sesame (or other) oil over medium heat. Chop the garlic, shallot and onion and add to pot. Let sweat for about 5 minutes.

Roughly chop the remaining vegetables (remember, you'll be straining these out) and add to the pot. Let cook about another 5 minutes until the veggies start to soften.

Add the broth and milk and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and add peanut butter and spices. Simmer over low heat for 30-60 minutes. Optional: add about a teaspoon of agave nectar to highlight the curry flavor ;-)

The peanut butter packs in some protein and you get a good kick of calcium from the coconut milk, great for a chilly evening!
    "There will be little rubs and disappointments everywhere, and we are all apt to expect too much; but then, if one scheme of happiness fails, human nature turns to another; if the first calculation is wrong, we make a second better: we find comfort somewhere."

Jane Austen~ Mansfield Park

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ampersand987?feature=mhee

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/03/2011
    Last Activity
    01-20-2013 03:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 37 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Kitty View Post
    I got a container of unflavored protein powder 100% whey protein at GNC store. I add a can of soup to my blender (say tomato soup) get a pot holder for the empty can, fill the can of water with boiling or very hot hot water, add (with the pot holder since the can is as hot as the water!!) the full can of water to the blender, then 1 scoop of protein powder. Blend and liquify with your blender, maybe even as long as 3 to 4 minutes. when it looks nice and smooth, pour in a cup to drink or bowl to eat with a spoon. I haven't been able to notice a difference in taste from the protein powder. If you want, start with 1/2 a scoop of protein powder to see. It tastes sooo good! yummers!

DJ Kitty, DO you know what brand of unflavored protein powder you got at GNC?
    Thanks,
    KC

Name
    Jen
    Surgery date
    11/03/2011
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Blog Entries

Another great experiment for lunch! Wish I could eat more than a couple tablespoons just cuz it tastes so good ;-)

Full Liquid Stage Cream of Wheat

2.5 cups skim milk
    3 tablespoons cream of wheat
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    2 eggs

Bring milk just to a low boil and add cream of wheat. Reduce heat and let simmer for a few minutes.
    Dissolve protein powder in a couple tablespoons of warm water and add slowly.
    Just before done, beat eggs and temper (add a little cream of wheat to bring the temperature up), then add.

This turned out a little thicker than I expected, but I just added a bit of no sugar added applesauce to sweeten and it tasted great! I'm really trying to add protein wherever I can since I can't get much food down yet!
    "There will be little rubs and disappointments everywhere, and we are all apt to expect too much; but then, if one scheme of happiness fails, human nature turns to another; if the first calculation is wrong, we make a second better: we find comfort somewhere."

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/14/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kim
    Last Activity
    07-15-2012 06:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

How do i mix in protein powder?

I've been reading that you can add the protein powder to soups. How do you do it? When I mix my powder with milk in a blender, it thickens up and there's a lot of foam on top until it settles overnight. I've read that if you heat up the protein it tends to clump. Any ideals. I've started full liquids with protein and i need the extra protein.

Name
    Jen
    Surgery date
    11/03/2011
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Blog Entries

To mix protein into soups and other hot foods you need to mix it with warm water first, then add slowly to the food as it's cooking. Don't add it before you start cooking, wait until the food it hot.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/25/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Last Activity
    06-25-2013 08:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 126 Times in 102 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 49 Times

Here's my latest! Instant Oatmeal! Yes you heard it... Make it with enough water so that it's super runny like broth! Add a tich of splenda and a tich of cinnamon. This was my lifesaver yesterday at the hotel. I used the coffee pot to heat the water in our room. ONLY eat the liquid part. The oats will settle at the bottom! Clever when traveling!

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member lisamarie0814's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    12/14/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-15-2013 12:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 52 Times
    Blog Entries

I drink chocolate Whey protein shakes with a small scoop of peanut butter and blended with some ice and they are delicious! Also, if you go to the Doctors Best Weight Loss website you can get protein soups that have 12 grams of protein in them - and they are yummy I drink the Cream of Chicken and Chicken Noodle soup mixes and they are great and keep me full for quite a while. They come in packets and you mix them with 8 oz hot water and blend until mixed. I also love their Protein Hot Chocolate - it's delicious!!! It fixes my sweet tooth and is perfect for a cold evening (especially Montana winters! lol). So those are a few of the things I use that keep me full and satisfied

--> Follow my journey on YouTube! RNstudent0814
    Weight on Day of Surgery: 218 - 12/14/11

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 57 Times in 45 Posts

@ N2DVN: thanks for the tip about the Syntrax unflavored, and about it being on drugstore.com! I just ordered that protein along with the other things I needed. I order from that site religiously. It started when I was deployed as they would ship to my APO address without giving me a hard time. I LOVE drugstore.com!!

Gastric Sleeve Member Rw86347@gmail.com's Avatar
    Name
    Rodger
    Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    David Kim
    Last Activity
    10-30-2013 11:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by dociceit View Post
    To answer a question above, sorry, I'm late on this, but yeah I was drinking the protein shakes for six months prior to surgery. I think it has helped.
    But, right now I am struggling to get my 100 grams of protein a day. I'M NOT HUNGERY so I have to watch the clock. Lots of gas.
    About Ll I can say at this point is to try a few things and find what you like. I'm thinking those shots mentioned above would work and will try them. I'm very tired today not drinking enough water nor protein. I tell ya I will be happy to get past this liquid diet thing.
    Best of luck to you in you journey. Just follow your Dr's orders.
    What about eating steak? It has tons of protein.

I sure hope when I am 6 months out I could eat a steak.
    Join with me on MyFitnessPal --- my name is rw86347

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wilkenfeld
    Last Activity
    01-11-2015 06:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

Am using and really loving the unflavored Whey Protein Isolate Unflavored 5lb from Muscle Feast. The owner actually called regarding an email inquiry and said he had some bariatric customers using this with good results. Great customer service, reasonably priced & fast shippers.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    02/02/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Billings
    Last Activity
    05-08-2012 12:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have been drinking Premier Protein shakes that I got at Costco. I have the chocolate and the vanilla. The chocolate is good but the vanilla was pretty boring so I put a very small amount of banana extract into it and it tastes really good now. I suppose you could use any flavor such as strawberry or blueberry. Now I cant wait until my next one...LOL YUMMY!!
    Pam Bradburn

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Alicia
    Surgery date
    03/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Cottrell
    Last Activity
    01-04-2017 09:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 15 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm about to start my liquid diet... I saw a cool recipe for the protein shakes, using coconut milk, or almond milk. Has anyone ever tried this? I bought a few sample packets of Whey Protein powder, going to try the chocolate w/ banana and coconut milk tomorrow!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/25/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Last Activity
    06-25-2013 08:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 126 Times in 102 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 49 Times

Premier protein shakes everyday for breakfast here. Good flavor and decent price at Costco. Syntrax has great flavored shakes too. Love the Roadside Lemonade.