Dr. Armando Joya
    Last Activity
    03-09-2013 08:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times
    Blog Entries

Default "Hair" we are again!

Ok, ok, I know... Not another hair loss question... BUT that is a huge worry of mine for post op!

Has anyone ever tried Nzuri Elixir - Liquid? It has good reviews but its pricey 42.00 for 32oz but it sounds like that could last a while...

What do you guys take to prevent or lessen hair loss? Any crazy witch craft (I.e. emo oil, tonics, lotions, etc)? Give me the goods! Good, bad and hairy

Kisses,
    Karee

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: "Hair" we are again!

If there was something that had been truly shown to be effective, our doctors would be telling us about it. The only things I've been told by anyone medical is to do your best with nutrition guidelines (both protein and supplements) but that it may happen anyway as a reaction to surgery.

I don't know if I'm going to lose my hair. I really like my hair, and it will be a temporary bother if it thins, but I'm not going to waste extra time or money and my precious emotional energy on something I can't control, apart from the nutritional advice I've been given by my medical team. Other than that, I have some hats that I can wear, I can put my hair up or get it cut to try and downplay it, and if it gets really awful (which I understand from most people it's usually not horrendous) there's always the option of buying a wig.

I'd really encourage us all to try and keep perspective on what's truly important and why we've done this. If your worst problem is some thinning hair on your way to good health, it's really no big deal. Remember that the more commonly known medical procedure which results in much much more significant hair loss is chemotherapy. Those people have life-threatening illness and horrendous side effects of treatment to contend with for the sake of trying to beat cancer - which may or may not be effective.

Instead of worrying about hair loss, redirect your thoughts to how lucky/blessed you are to be able to have this opportunity to regain your health.

Name
    Julie
    Surgery date
    10/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stephen Malley
    Last Activity
    03-19-2021 08:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 128 Times
    Was Thanked 158 Times in 148 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,246 Times

I asked my doc if I should worry about losing my hair. He basically told me the same thing that Niamh said...He said to make sure I get my protein in, and that only a few of his patients have experienced hair loss. I was encouraged, because I am one month out and I have tried very hard to get my protein in from the start.
    If I do lose my hair it will be hard to explain, but worth every strand.

Highest Weight 2001 - 282 lbs
    Lowest Weight 2002-2005 - 182 lbs
    Start pre-op diet - 266 lbs
    Officially Overweight with BMI of 29.7 on 5/4/13
    "Onderland" - July 20 - 198#

Gastric Sleeve Member Enfury8me's Avatar
    Name
    Terrie
    Surgery date
    10/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    12-08-2015 05:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 57 Times
    Was Thanked 135 Times in 127 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 74 Times

If you use Nioxen Shampoo and conditioner (Available at most salons and on Ebay) it is for thinning hair and will make your hair feel thicker and fuller. It's cheaper on Ebay.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    Blessed to have had my Sleeve and now the Journey Ensues:
    Highest Weight 2012 - 272 lbs
    Lowest Weight 1999 - 150 lbs
    Start pre-op diet - 272 lbs
    Date of surgery - 272 lbs (10/23/12)

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/26/2012
    Surgeon
    Stan Rodgers UCSF
    Last Activity
    12-02-2012 01:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

My daughter manages a hair salon and I was due for a Brazillian Blow-out and color about 30 days after surgery.... I asked her about hair thinning and products etc.. She told me to not waste my money on things to put on my hair; spend my money putting things in my body. I.E increase protein and calcium and vits.... everything I have to do anyway per my MD. I went ahead and had both hair procedures done without prob. Good luck!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Mine started to fall out at 4 months til 7 months and then again at 10 months to 14 months. The first time it was shock from surgery and pretty much starvation, the second time ended up being an iron and zinc deficiency. Once I got more of those it stopped falling out but sadly has not grown back in much at all yet. I wear it up a lot, use a conditioning creme cleanser by loreal (Wen made my hair fall out worse!)...and when I'm going out I use my version of toppix which is that I bought a brown/black matte eye shadow and a lose powder makeup brush. I fill the brush with shadow and apply it to my scalp. It shadows it enough to hide the shiny white scalp underneath. If my hair is down it still looks too thin but if it's up and brushed to have almost no part, it's liveable. You may not lose yours. You may. It's genetics, luck of the draw, who knows... but just remember it will grow back eventually...
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.