01/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Aceves
    Last Activity
    04-02-2013 02:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Default Dr. Aceves Patients! :) Green tea, post-op--no good or SO good?

Hi All!

I am currently giving up my dear, sweet, beloved addiction to caffeine in preparation for my surg date, 1/4/13. I believe I understand why you must not drink coffee during post-op (4 week)--it irritates your stomach and could have the potential to dehydrate you.

My questions for you are:
    1. I don't have a problem getting 64 ounces of water daily. Might this change, post-op? What was your experience?

2. Does my tea count as some of my water intake? I saw on another thread here that your propel, broth, and other liquid items count. Would green tea?

3. I am currently substituting with green tea. Did anyone else do this? Is it safe to do this post-op? I will, of course, follow with Dr. A but I wanted to know your experience.

Thank you everyone! Also if you have any tips on how to switch from coffee to tea and still remain productive at a fast-paced job, I welcome it!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member aboutime4me's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    05/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Soong
    Last Activity
    09-15-2016 10:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 368 Times in 333 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dr. Aceves Patients! :) Green tea, post-op--no good or SO good?

Hello and welcome to the almost sleeved world. Yes, all the liquids you take into your body post surgery do count. That being said, the tea should be "decaf" because of the dehydration factor. I would say you probably won't be able to drink 64 oz of water or fluids right after surgery. That is something you'll have to work your way towards. In fact even though I'm in my 7th month post surgery I only average about 40 ounces per day and I should be drinking much more, especially living in the desert of Las Vegas.
    It took me about 2 months after surgery until I didn't have to sip the liquids and all of a sudden I could drink pretty normally, which I was grateful. I don't gulp but can drink liquids like I did before. I do drink coffee now, sometimes decaf sometimes regular, it depends. I like iced coffee so I buy the Starbucks lite latte in the bottle. It has 100 calories and 6 gr protein for 9.5 ounces. I probably should not drink as much of that as I do, but I like it. That's really my only indulgence because I am pretty much strictly a protein kind of gal. I don't go for the carbs and have very little room for veggies or fruits. My main goal each day is the proteins.
    I wish you much success with your surgery and recovery. As I said before...it's such an awesome journey. It has been the best decision of my life and I am free now, for the first time in my life from my food addiction. I could go on and on about the joy I feel inside, but you get the picture.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Aceves
    Last Activity
    04-02-2013 02:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Hey, thanks Mary! What great feedback! Congrats on the new life! Your picture is adorable. You look very happy.

Name
    Linda
    Surgery date
    05/31/2010
    Surgeon
    Aceves
    Last Activity
    01-19-2016 10:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 87 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 49 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

Ditto what she said. =)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime4me View Post
    Hello and welcome to the almost sleeved world. Yes, all the liquids you take into your body post surgery do count. That being said, the tea should be "decaf" because of the dehydration factor. I would say you probably won't be able to drink 64 oz of water or fluids right after surgery. That is something you'll have to work your way towards. In fact even though I'm in my 7th month post surgery I only average about 40 ounces per day and I should be drinking much more, especially living in the desert of Las Vegas.
    It took me about 2 months after surgery until I didn't have to sip the liquids and all of a sudden I could drink pretty normally, which I was grateful. I don't gulp but can drink liquids like I did before. I do drink coffee now, sometimes decaf sometimes regular, it depends. I like iced coffee so I buy the Starbucks lite latte in the bottle. It has 100 calories and 6 gr protein for 9.5 ounces. I probably should not drink as much of that as I do, but I like it. That's really my only indulgence because I am pretty much strictly a protein kind of gal. I don't go for the carbs and have very little room for veggies or fruits. My main goal each day is the proteins.
    I wish you much success with your surgery and recovery. As I said before...it's such an awesome journey. It has been the best decision of my life and I am free now, for the first time in my life from my food addiction. I could go on and on about the joy I feel inside, but you get the picture.

Blog (with pictures): http://mwlj2010.blogspot.com/