08/27/2012
    Surgeon
    Nicholson
    Last Activity
    06-10-2013 04:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 37 Times

Default Re: Has anyone NOT done the pre op diet....what happens?

My pre-op diet was basically a "Slim-Fast" type of diet. Shakes and Bars 5 times a day and a small, lean meal for dinner. I lost what the doctor wanted me to, which was 5%. It was not hard to stay on because every 2-3 hours I was putting something in my mouth.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member LealScott's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Carmen
    Surgery date
    09/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Brian Wong
    Last Activity
    06-07-2014 01:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 210 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 92 Times
    Blog Entries

Smile Re: Has anyone NOT done the pre op diet....what happens?

As others have said, it all depends on your doctor and, in some part, your weight. You don't want to be one of those people who gets closed up because your liver was too fatty. It happens.

My suggestion is to start now doing a modified liquid diet and lose as much as possible. You will have an easier time in and after surgery. My liver shrinking diet, 11 days plus 2 days total liquid, resulted in a 13 pound weight loss. Calories matter, carbs and fat matter. Get used to protein because it will be your best friend for the rest of your life.

You have 5 weeks. You make this work.

Carmen

Gastric Sleeve Member selinathorne's Avatar
    Name
    selina
    Surgery date
    07/18/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stanley Hoehn
    Last Activity
    10-03-2013 10:29 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I had a BMI of 41, 253lbs and 5'5" when I went to my pre-op appt. The Dr. had asked me to do a week of liquids (he usually requires 2 weeks) but then told me i could eat lean grilled meats and green leafy veggies, I just shouldn't go hog wild. I have to say, I tried to be good most of that week but my food addiction had me trying hard to say good bye to all my favorite foods. I had a few "mini-binges" and I was fine. It matters if you are bigger. My doctor didn't xray my liver or anything, he simply said "you're not that big, you'll be fine". First time I had heard that in a long time.

I am not condoning you cheat on what doctor says but sometimes it is hard. Just because you have a very intimate relationship with food does not mean you will fail at this. I struggled the first month and finally settled into my new lifestyle. I feel like I have finally been released from the hold that food has on me. You will do fine. Most all of us are in this situation because we had a hard time controlling ourselves around food. Good luck to you!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member LealScott's Avatar
    Name
    Carmen
    Surgery date
    09/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Brian Wong
    Last Activity
    06-07-2014 01:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 210 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 92 Times
    Blog Entries

Why not start with a modified liquid diet now? The goal, besides learning self control and relearning how important food should be in our lives, is to lose weight. The lighter you are going under the knife the better. I had 11 days over shrinking and 48 hours total liquid and I lost 13 and the doctor said my hard work made a huge difference in the length of the surgery and my recovery.

If you are worried about the ore- op diet maybe you aren't ready for the lifestyle changes. Only you know, but you have enough time to drop some pounds and get yourself in a great place and I hope you do. Good luck!

Carmen