Surgeon
    Dr Budak
    Last Activity
    01-18-2020 08:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6,066 Times
    Was Thanked 663 Times in 363 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 468 Times

Question For all who have been sleeved.

I was just wondering if you had your time over again, and say had 6 months still before being sleeved, What if anything would you do? Is there some thing you would have done differently? I mean besides the old "food funerals" you hear about.
    Perhaps gotten fitter prior to surgery,lost more or less weight, ANYTHING at all you think about, and don't be shy cos nothing will sound "silly" to me, trust me.
    They say that hindsight is a wonderful thing,I think it is kinda useless myself and would prefer a little Foresight..
    CHEERS
    Free Weight Loss Tickers at Weight Loss Center

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    04-08-2012 08:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Before I was sleeved I did lots of research. I watched the surgery on You Tube many times and I was very familiar with what was going to happen. I would not change any of this. I went in confident and full of optimism and I have never looked back. I suffered no pain and I was up and back at work before two weeks.
    I can only recommend this surgery.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member 808 All Day's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christine
    Surgery date
    05/31/2008
    Surgeon
    Dr. Paul Cirangle
    Last Activity
    12-14-2013 02:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Aloha!

I don't think I would have done anything differently. I was a failure at dieting and losing weight, therefore, trying to lose weight prior to surgery was unthinkable for me. After all, that is exactly why I was having the surgery!

I didn't have any "food funerals." I did a lot of research on my procedure (VSG performed 5/31/08) and mentally prepared. I read everything I could get my hands on and viewed tons of before and after pics. I stayed away from negativity on every level. I focused on the positive aspects of the surgery and how I would be getting my life back. I believe that staying positive, not worrying about what hasn't happened, and believing in your surgeon, yourself, and your loved ones are the most important things to concentrate on prior to your surgery. Make an educated decision and you will have no doubts or regrets.

Be sure you understand everything pre-op and post-op regarding what your new life will be like, accept it, and live with it happily. Ask the professionals. While you may be able to get some good advise from message boards and other people, the best advise comes from your surgical team. They are the ones who know you and your situation.

Remember, also, that it is only a tool toward a healthier life. You will still need to make dietary changes and control yourself and your lifestyle to stay on task to be successful.
    Reason: typo

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/06/2010
    Surgeon
    Professor Nottle
    Last Activity
    03-12-2014 04:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post

I started writing my life story on here, but you are looking for hindsight warnings!
    Ok, firstly, find out if there are ANY alternatives to Optifast!! It is possible to make it palatable, but those shakes can be truly disgusting!! And don't get me started on the soups!! I think I pretty much lived on the bars for the last week, but there were other people who couldn't stand them either!! It's only a small part of the whole process, but an important part, so get a support network that you can call when you want to give in. It is so restrictive and a shock to the system. I have heard there are other comparable brands that taste better, but some surgeons seem to stick to Optifast, only because Nestle has poured money into getting it "scientifically proven".

I developed a leak after my surgery. I spent 2 1/2 months in and out of hospital. Luckily my hubby is home and could look after the kids. I spent this time wondering what the hell I did to myself!! But now that I am home and at the other end of it, I am getting very comfortable with my decision and would suggest talking about potential complications with your surgeon. I knew what these were, but it is more important to ask what is his/her way of handling the different issues that come up? My surgeon took a very conservative path, waiting for it to heal (which it didn't). I got my second surgery eventually, but my hindsight is to be fully informed and don't just dismiss potential problems and think "they wont happen to me"! And to also raise merry hell until you get what you want. I wasn't strong enough to fight for the second surgery sooner.

I wont say that this process is always perfect. I am fighting my head a lot to not eat too much. I am thankful that the quantities are a lot less and I have lost 35 kilos since the middle of April when I started Optifast. But that is another thing I wish I was really prepared for. The stomach hunger goes, but the head hunger is horrible. Forgetting and taking a bit swig of a drink, realising when it's too late. Wanting to keep going with a yummy dinner, but knowing the stomach wont let you. I call it the "old me" and the "new me". Sometimes I'm battling the old me. I didn't get to 150kg by making rational decisions when it comes to food. So if you are an emotional eater, you'll need to set up an action plan and support network for those times that food would be your solution. Otherwise, you'll be feeling really uncomfortable physically. Throwing up isn't fun.

Hope some of that helps with your foresight!!

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-02-2010 10:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 6 Posts

Default Re: For all who have been sleeved.

I had my surgery 13 months ago and I was going to say if i changed anything it would be being stricter for the first 6 months, and not getting off track by allowing food like biscuits and pie back in too soon... but I am now below my nuts goal for me, and got there in just under a year, getting side tracked i also learned a lot like trigger foods and how carbs affect me ... so i guess what ever path we take its always going to be a learning.

The only other thing id change is id not buy any bulk protein powder i wasted quite a lot including samples before i found one i could drink.

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member sandyfromoz's Avatar
    Name
    sandyfromoz
    Surgery date
    02/09/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Budak
    Last Activity

Smile Re: For all who have been sleeved.

Thank you all very much.
    On my last visit to my Dr, I asked him if he wanted me to do anything in particular with these next 6 months until my Op. His reply to "not wait till optifast to start eating healthy,other wise it's too big a shock and also you don't just automatically start eating healthy because of the Op. Also to get as fit as possible and into at least a walking program for fitness.
    HMM the old "Optifast".I have actually tried a few samples of the other ones too, There is good and bad in all of them. I actually can't handle the sweetness of the bars,let alone live on them for a week haha.Even my Dr said not to use them now or I would be sick of them by the time I need to go on them (which in my case is for 3 weeks pre-op).
    I will make sure to ask Dr what his plan is for repairing leaks, or complications as like you said, you tend to fob over it lightly with the old "won't happen to me" attitude.
    One thing I want to have is before shots, even though I stay behind the camera, I would be sorry if I didn't have any to compare to the "new improved" me.
    I guess I just don't want to have any regrets and wish I had done something differently, so keep your comments coming please

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    03-22-2011 03:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

I don't have much more to add. I LOVE my sleeve and I wouldn't change anything
    follow my journey at waningwoman.blogspot.com

16. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    03-12-2014 01:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 68 Times
    Was Thanked 80 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 40 Times

All the advice above is excellent. I researched everything and read all the positive and negative/problems. I also made sure I had a good understanding of post op food requirements. Yesnomaybe mentions Optifast. Unlike many shakes available, Optifast is classified as a VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet) None of the VLCD shakes are enjoyable and they are meant to be highly restrictive. I never spoken with anyone who found a yummy alternative. In my view (with no other complications) this is the worst part because if any of us were good at starving, we wouldn't be getting sleeved. I think anything you can do pre op which relates to post op behaviour will reduce the impact of the changes ( such as some light exercise, green leafy salads, smaller portions etc). I think at some stage you should have your last full serve of your favourite meal. Definitely get some before pictures from different angles.

cheers

Grover
    VSG: Good Decision, Good Health, Good Result, No Regrets.

18. Said thanks:

Name
    sandyfromoz
    Surgery date
    02/09/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Budak
    Last Activity

Thanks again everyone, some good ideas in there that I will definitely be following.
    "Grover" looks like (judging by your pic) you had some great company, nice Shepherd, I have one too.xoxo

20. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    03-22-2024 09:49 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2,088 Times
    Was Thanked 1,538 Times in 442 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16,633 Times
    Blog Entries

I have a Shepherd also!

22. Said thanks:

Name
    sandyfromoz
    Surgery date
    02/09/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Budak
    Last Activity

Awesome puppets aren't they, .Mine is 5 and his name is "Shadow", which he sure is my shadow.

24. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    03-22-2024 09:49 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2,088 Times
    Was Thanked 1,538 Times in 442 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16,633 Times
    Blog Entries

Mine is named Akiva, here's a pic of her:
    http://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245
    I made a thread in the Tiki Hut for dog owners to post pics of their dogs, hope it becomes a fun thread.