Dr. Atkinson
    Last Activity
    09-23-2013 03:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 29 Times
    Blog Entries

Default HOLIDAYS are on the way

As October continues to rush by and the stores start getting all glitzed up with Christmas decorations, I am starting to get a bit....well,.....apprehensive about how to handle the foods of the holiday season.

In the past I have been the signature 'sweets' maker at Christmas time. There are about 5 specialties: butter cream caramels, divinity (3 flavors: peppermint, English walnut and french vanilla, standard fudge with and without nuts, peanut brittle, and English toffee and a few other easy batch things like coconut haystacks, puppy chow mix,and of course the 3 different cookies: standard Amish style sugar cookies, old fashion lace cookies and gingersnaps that I make and package up as my gifts.

They get shipped worldwide. Last year I had tins going to Anchorage, Dallas, Detroit,Key West, Santiago Chile and Dubai (Thank goodness that package would go to Bismark now!) etc, as well as more local friends.

So many of these friends (whom are like my extended family) are not aware of the more recent changes with my life. I never thought about it before surgery....I was concentrating on just getting myself healthy. I know that being the sweets maker has always brought me joy and I love the work and aromas . I have always started the craziness about 2 days after Thanksgiving. So my timeline is creeping up on me....

but right now, the idea is NOT setting with me! I am still have sensitivities to various smells, I still get situational scent based nauseousness and I know I 'tested' way too many sweets while creating in the past.

So thoughts from everyone?.....should I send out non-food gifts? Scale back to just a few items? I can't get my head around testing 'healthy' candy recipes. Suck it up and do what I have always done? (there are 2 cousins that have gotten these tins since I learned from our shared grandmother when I was 16, ....hmmm I am 44 now.. one tin to Oceanside, CA and the other to St Louis)

I know I probably should have put some thought into this before....and I am just looking for some advice. I know ultimately I have to decide for myself, but some input is helpful.

Along the same lines, how are you all planning on handling the parties, and the big dinners? Are you cooking all the holiday traditions of your family?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Letizia (LOL)
    Surgery date
    09/18/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jorge Acosta
    Last Activity
    04-18-2013 02:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 188 Times
    Was Thanked 153 Times in 149 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,066 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: HOLIDAYS are on the way

I'm a chef so I'll be cooking and baking. I have a business where I'm always around food and let me tell you is very hard. I already have ton of orders for pies not to mention turkeys for thanksgiving. I decided to stay here home for the holidays and not going to see my in laws, they probably be upset but they don't know about my surgery and they'll be offended if I don't eat. I hope it goes well for all of us.

Name
    Terry
    Surgery date
    09/26/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    05-30-2015 08:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 108 Times
    Was Thanked 90 Times in 86 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,055 Times

You decided to change YOUR life for YOU for the better. Everyone will survive, heck it may jolt them into appreciating how good they have had it- I can't imagine how expensive it must be to send and make all that stuff! Send cards, and use the money saved for something special for yourself-like a trip! Just my thoughts

Heaviest 2006 297lbs
    Sept 2011 282lbs
    Sept 21/12 start pre-op diet 272lbs
    Sept 26/12 gastric sleeve 263lbs
    Dec 21/12 3 months 222lbs
    March 21/13 6 mon 202lbs
    June 21/13 9 mon 190lbs
    Sept 26/13 YEAR1 186lbs

Gastric Sleeve Member WandaLeaner's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr David Pace
    Last Activity
    08-27-2013 09:43 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 52 Times

I agree that the food and holidays are playing on my mind. I dont plan to tell my dad or step mom about my surgery until after it is done, and for me Christmas day is 3 weeks post op, so I will be at their house on Christmas day, and don't want to be the topic of discussion. If my mom was still with us then I would have major issues, cause that was our bond, Food!.
    So if I could make a suggestion, explain to the family members that you normally send tins to that because you love them you don't want to forget them this christmas, but that circumstances have changed and you decided that rather than send out the treats, you are now making a donation to a charity, or boxes to Operation Christmas Child, in their name. Most people will miss the treats, but I thiknk they will understand everything the next time they see you looking slimmer and healthier!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member Dee Leshuz's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2012
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 579 Times in 506 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 165 Times

I've had success giving people donations in their name to charities like kiva.org, hiefer.org

Default Parallels Plesk Panel Page
    Kiva - Loans that change lives

are just a few. With a small donation (or microloan) you can make a real difference in people's lives all over the world. IME, people like to read about the people they've helped and how they are getting along.
    Starting weight: 255
    Pre-op weight: 228
    Surgery date: 3/14/2012

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Finley
    Last Activity
    10-31-2019 07:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 300 Times
    Was Thanked 168 Times in 150 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 84 Times
    Blog Entries

Send them pears from Harry and David's -- delicious and healthy! Plus you just give them the addresses and off they go!

7/10: 238lbs,size 3x; 8/11: 221lbs size 22/2x; 6/12 B4 2 day liquid fast: 210 lbs; 6/13/12: 202.6 lbs
    1 month: 185.4 lbs; 2 months: 170 lbs, size 16; 3 months: 162.6 lbs, size 14; 4 months: 151.8 lbs; 5 months: 143.2 lbs, size 10; 6 months: 142.4 lbs stalls suck ; 7 months: 131.2 lbs, size 6 - 8; 9 months 130.2, size 6 - no real loss in 2 months -- Think I am done!

Name
    Peggy
    Surgery date
    07/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lalor
    Last Activity
    04-22-2015 04:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 197 Times
    Was Thanked 346 Times in 318 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 107 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm the sweets baker in my family as well, on both sides. That's always been my signature. I still plan on making my same stuff, I had this surgery, not them. I have made cookies and other stuff, and I'm ok with just a bite. If you decide to go ahead and bake, maybe start a little earlier, do just one a week, that way if you do "taste" a little as you go, it won't send you into a sugar coma! Most things will freeze, so doing them up ahead, may work out for you. Good luck!
    ~~Peggy~~
    Highest weight: 249
    Weight at pre-op: 224
    Weight at surgery: 216

Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lautz
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 07:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 299 Times in 286 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 76 Times
    Blog Entries

It really depends on you. I have not baked as many cakes as I have in the last year. I didn't want to buy a birthday cake for my kid's birthday party so I spent last year baking cakes to improve my skill. I always get to eat a slice.

If it bothers you a lot, then send something else to your family. They will survive.

If it bother you a little, then scale back, pick three things and make them. Send them off. I think the more choices you have, the more you will taste.

If the food doesn't bother you, then do what you always do.

You can always start baking and see how you handle it.
    (Goal!!! Maintenance Lane!)

• Reduce calories intake for weightloss.
    • Exercise for heart health, mental health and weight maintenance.
    • Make realistic goals.
    • Never give up.

Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Finley
    Last Activity
    10-31-2019 07:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 300 Times
    Was Thanked 168 Times in 150 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 84 Times
    Blog Entries

Good advice, Munchkin!
    I can't trust myself to handle sugary things right now. I made a berry crisp the other night and had about 3/4 cup -- too much and not part of my current plan. I am a sugaraholic! lol
    I would definitely do what Munchkin said.
    Hugs and Happy Holidays!

7/10: 238lbs,size 3x; 8/11: 221lbs size 22/2x; 6/12 B4 2 day liquid fast: 210 lbs; 6/13/12: 202.6 lbs
    1 month: 185.4 lbs; 2 months: 170 lbs, size 16; 3 months: 162.6 lbs, size 14; 4 months: 151.8 lbs; 5 months: 143.2 lbs, size 10; 6 months: 142.4 lbs stalls suck ; 7 months: 131.2 lbs, size 6 - 8; 9 months 130.2, size 6 - no real loss in 2 months -- Think I am done!

Name
    Kim
    Surgery date
    06/04/2012
    Surgeon
    Joaquin Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    10-20-2015 09:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 67 Times
    Was Thanked 151 Times in 141 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times

I too usually do a lot of baking to give as gifts. I will probably do some and sample some, but I know that I wont be able to eat near what I ate in the past. I have already baked two cakes since surgery and did fine. This weekend I have been commissioned to make pumpkin bread. Basically, you need to do what is best for you. If you dont think you can do it, then don't. If you think you can do it in a modified way, then try that. People understand that things get busy in people's lives and that they may not be able to do things they did before. I think you will find the right answer.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Gastric Sleeve Member CuirousGeorge's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Atkinson
    Last Activity
    09-23-2013 03:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 29 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you for all the tips and suggestions. I like the idea of starting earlier and doing some freezing. And I think I may go through and revise/scale back. My biggest concern is the cousins...so I will email them and have them tell me their 1 favorite item and be sure to do those as well. I haven't done ANY baking since surgery....maybe that is my biggest issue. I think I will try some baking and see how it goes and donate the results to one of the buildings that I go to staff lounge. I know it will disappear there...I swear I could take in a dirty gym sock cut into bite size pieces with frosting on top and it would get gobbled up!

Gastric Sleeve Member Island Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Rebecca
    Surgery date
    07/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,309 Times
    Blog Entries

Actually started some of my gift shopping. But I really want to take a different approach to the holiday food program. Since, I really don't eat very much my focus is to make healthy choices. And, I can't imagine not having a holiday cookie along the way. It is the cheese and cracker plate that I need to avoid:-)