Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-02-2015 07:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 144 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Has this surgery failed for anyone other than me????

You dont mention how much you weigh now and how tall are you?

309 lbs before pre-op diet.
    297 lbs day of surgery.
    275 lbs 2/19/13 1 month post 34 lbs less!
    265 3/15/13 2 months post 44 lbs less!
    253 4/15/13 3 months post 56 lbs less!
    246 5/15/13 4 months post 63 lbs less!
    238 6/15/13 5 months post 71 lbs less!
    231 7/15/13 6 months post 78 lbs less!
    222 8/15/13 7 months post 87 lbs less!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Rhonda marchbank
    Last Activity
    04-07-2017 01:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hello Sam.. My name is Rhonda. I too feel that i have failed my sleeve. I still have full restrictions with what i can eat but i constantly feel hungry n still have sugar cravings. Although i dont eat a lot of junk foods. Bfor my surgery i weighed 92 kilos n now im between 77 n 79 kilos. It will be 12 months this may. Although i have lost but i really thought i wouldv lost more n be closer to my goal weight (60-65 kilos).. I haven't lost any weight for a long time now. I know i had to work at it but didnt think it would be that hard to do. It has changed my taste buds a little like i cant eat spicy n sweets things are too sweet now but also i cant stomach water like i could bfor. Iv had to turn to lightly sparkled lime water. I found a product called 'blaze' to supress my appetite that i have 1 scoop with a glass of cold water, which does help but tastes a little sickly (too sweet) but i didnt think i would have to resort to having to do something else. Im too are at a loss as iv already paid alot of money to get the surgery done n couldnt possibly afford ti do the bypass. Ur not alone here. I have my appointment this Monday so hopefully i can get some answers. HELP HELP.. what can we do

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda1973 View Post
    Hello Sam.. My name is Rhonda. I too feel that i have failed my sleeve. I still have full restrictions with what i can eat but i constantly feel hungry n still have sugar cravings. Although i dont eat a lot of junk foods. Bfor my surgery i weighed 92 kilos n now im between 77 n 79 kilos. It will be 12 months this may. Although i have lost but i really thought i wouldv lost more n be closer to my goal weight (60-65 kilos).. I haven't lost any weight for a long time now. I know i had to work at it but didnt think it would be that hard to do. It has changed my taste buds a little like i cant eat spicy n sweets things are too sweet now but also i cant stomach water like i could bfor. Iv had to turn to lightly sparkled lime water. I found a product called 'blaze' to supress my appetite that i have 1 scoop with a glass of cold water, which does help but tastes a little sickly (too sweet) but i didnt think i would have to resort to having to do something else. Im too are at a loss as iv already paid alot of money to get the surgery done n couldnt possibly afford ti do the bypass. Ur not alone here. I have my appointment this Monday so hopefully i can get some answers. HELP HELP.. what can we do
    Rhonda, I will be a year May 17th. My weight loss has been slow since about the second month, but I do not feel my WLS has failed me in any way. My reasons for choosing WLS were not merely to lose weight but to get control of my health back. I was prediabetic for more than five years before I was diagnosed with Type2 Diabetes Nov. 2015, my weight had climbed to 245lbs, and my cholesterol was out of control too. My primary care doc wanted to put me on medication, but I refused to get on meds knowing that T2D can be controlled with a low-carb/low-fat diet. But I knew from my endless tries to lose weight that I could not sustain that type of diet long term. So the Gastric Sleeve was an option I discovered and discussed with two surgeons, after fighting my PC for a bariatric referral.

I may be losing at a snail pace, but that is okay, as long as I am moving closer to my health goals. Several veteran sleevers will tell you it is a MARATHON, not a race, so unless you have some genetic and hormonal deficiencies following a balanced lifestyle, YOU WILL lose weight at some point. It is imperative that you follow up with your bariatric team, let them know what is going on.

Remember that your sleeve is not a magic wand that will magically make your cravings, hunger and all the things you mentioned go away. I experienced hunger pangs three days post op!!! I learned that if I get a hankering for something I just have to work through it.

It is important for you to learn body cues. Take a nutrition class if necessary. If you are craving salty or sugary or carbs or fatty foods, it is because your body may need the vitamins or minerals it gets from those foods. You need to find the foods that can meet all the vitamins, minerals and micronutrients your body needs to function properly.

If you did not work with a nutritionist or dietician pre-op, I highly recommend you seek one - I am sure your bariatric team can recommend someone they work with on ongoing basis. I also recommend getting a therapist to help you prioritize your goals, and help you develop better skills.

I am a newbie by all meaning of the word, but there are sleeve veterans I follow here to help me through the everyday struggles of being "sleeved in a non-sleeved world (Tinman)."

Again, check in with your Bariatric team unless you have genetic or hormonal deficiencies you have a fantastic tool, but it doesn't work alone you have to have the right instruments to make it work for you! Remember your lifestyle changes have to incorporate proper nutrition, supplementation, exercise, hydration and stress management skills.

Best of luck to you.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda1973 View Post
    I think when people are struggling with losing weight they need to evaluate what they are eating. And then do some small tweaks to see what works for them. I hope you find the answers you are looking for. I am losing at a slow and steady pace and I am ok with that. I am doing it healthy.

Gastric Sleeve Member Romandona's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Caruana
    Last Activity
    03-16-2018 10:05 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times
    Blog Entries

I agree with the fact that we need to really evaluate what we're consuming. I've lost very little the past 6 weeks but feel I should still be losing. I'm one year out middle of March and have lost 105 pounds. I went to a support group meeting at my doctors office with the nutritionist and that helped me some to see that I need to evaluate what goes into my mouth. I realized I'd been snacking too much in between meals and drinking too. I had to refresh the fact that I can't drink and eat at the same time. I did get lax on that part. Now that I'm planning my meals and snacks and the timing of those snacks, I feel more in control and my scale has been rewarding me! You know what I mean. It's really all about the planning and tracking and staying within the macros that you and your nutritionist help define. What I need to do now, is plan my activity as the weather is getting better - I live in Western NY area and the winter was not conductive to walking, my favorite exercise. I've got to get better on that front starting now. It's always a work in progress and as long as you're headed in the right direction - it's a WIN. Good luck.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/31/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bollo
    Last Activity
    03-13-2017 07:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

80 lbs is the norm for the sleeve, to lose that is, after the first 80lbs it is really all on you...that being said, people have given many wonderful replies, I hope this all works out for you. I am 2.5 years out and just completed the reset...it does work...I don't think it does anything along the lines of 'shrinking' the stomach, it seems to be a mental reset in that it forces you to really think about what you are consuming and really feeling when you are actually full. I'm glad I did it, I gained 41lbs in the past eight months and refuse to give in to it! I exercise five days a week and am very strict on my diet (now...lol). I will get this last bit of weight off...you can do it as well. Chin up!
    241 2/20